• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

haha would certainly be interesting
i never finished my board in 2019

but ive got 2018, 2020, 2021 (and 2022) boards still saved somewhere
but ive only got grades and profiles still for 2021 and 2022

but as many guys as im proud of their evaluations - im not sure ill be able to live down just how high i was on josh rosen, equanimeous st brown and many many more lol

You would have been fired for the Josh Rosen call and would have never worked in the NFL again.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
You could also get *really* creative with overtime. In hockey (at least here, don't know how it is in the NHL), you run the overtime 3-on-3. Which is a pretty insane difference to the regular time. It somehow seems to work with getting more overtime goals and both fans and players seem to lie it, so the NFL could do insane things as well. Not necessarily reducing number of players, but let's say that the team to first posses the ball only gets 3 downs instead of 4. Or that every 1st down is 15 yards. And then get back to the normal format after that first drive.
I'm not claiming any of the above are good ideas, I just grabbed them out of my ass while writing this; the point is that you could take a lot of freedom with the game itself to both balance overtime and to make them more interesting.
My proposal:
Both teams get the ball. 1st drive starts at the opponent's 10 yards line. If both teams score a td then they restart at the 20 yard line. So essentially each series gets starts 10 yards further away than the previous one.
Teams could choose to kick a pat or go for two. Or allow only 2 point conversions to end games faster.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Here's my random thought....

Tank

Hall of Famer
I'm one that doesn't want the rules changed for playoff games. If you're going to change the rules, you might as well do it for all the games. I still feel the rule is fine. Just stop them on defense and score when you get the ball back. I'd also like to know what the % is for teams who get the ball first to win the game.
IDK. Many major sports(soccer, hockey, etc.)around the world have different OT rules in post season play. I don’t think those rules would cut it in the regular season due to the lengthening of the games and extended tv coverage. It only seems right that when the stakes are highest the most equitable rules possible should be used.

Simba

Staff Member
Our favorite reporter *** has been spouting over the last few hours that Brady is going to retire. And now he deleted the tweet saying as such which means he's probably wrong yet again.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Our favorite reporter *** has been spouting over the last few hours that Brady is going to retire. And now he deleted the tweet saying as such which means he's probably wrong yet again.
Wow he better not be fucking with the GOAT

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Rumors down here are getting out of control with Brady. I think it’s all BS, no one knows what’s going outside of Tom and Giselle. I hope he comes back one more year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
My proposal:
Both teams get the ball. 1st drive starts at the opponent's 10 yards line. If both teams score a td then they restart at the 20 yard line. So essentially each series gets starts 10 yards further away than the previous one.
Teams could choose to kick a pat or go for two. Or allow only 2 point conversions to end games faster.
The biggest issues with pretty much all fan proposals is they simply take too long.
If it wasn't clear already, the primary objective of OT for the NFL is to get the game over as quickly as possible. They have no interest in these short field, offensive dominated, transactions where teams go into 3, 4, 5 overtimes routinely (basically the college model). Anything longer than 5-10 minutes has very little value add.

Colleges have no issue doing this, because they largely exploit players for money. That doesn't work with NFL players who are already coming out of games banged up, aren't interested in playing another 30 minutes of football, and may have a short week or little recovery time before they have to play again.

It's why the NFL shortened its OT from 15 minutes to 10 minutes, and its why they allow for ties. It's also why they allow for the first possession team to win the game with a TD.

I think they'll make changes, but I'll be very surprised to see them make changes that involve lengthening the game in any capacity, which is pretty much guaranteed to happen if you shorten the field and put the defense at an extreme disadvantage (like in college). I also think any changes they make may ultimately only be for the playoffs instead of the regular season.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
The GOAT is retiring. End of an era.

side note: best thing about him retiring is that it’s the same year as Big Ben. Brady is going to take all the attention and recognition during the HoF ceremony lol

you love to see it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The GOAT is retiring. End of an era.

side note: best thing about him retiring is that it’s the same year as Big Ben. Brady is going to take all the attention and recognition during the HoF ceremony lol

you love to see it

this has actually surprised me - but maybe he doesnt want to go out on the decline and is happy to walk away while still playing among the best in the league (genuinely in the MVP conversation this year)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
this has actually surprised me - but maybe he doesnt want to go out on the decline and is happy to walk away while still playing among the best in the league (genuinely in the MVP conversation this year)
Well, realistically, I don't see many paths to the Bucs getting back into SB contention in the next year or two. I'm sure they think they could, but they basically spend all their money to keep the "band together" and it was pretty clear it wasn't going to work out this year.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well, realistically, I don't see many paths to the Bucs getting back into SB contention in the next year or two. I'm sure they think they could, but they basically spend all their money to keep the "band together" and it was pretty clear it wasn't going to work out this year.

Yeah, didnt the whole squad take less money to run it back? They kept all their starters from the Super Bowl team.. that’s rare.

At least Brady won one away from Belichick. That was cool. Shit reminded me of Star Wars when Darth Vader turned good at the end. He’s not a bad guy after all. Now, if only we can get rid of that Sith Lord... lol