• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Broken record here, but the QB talent in the AFC is ridiculous.
Lamar, Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow. Then you have Tua, Lawrence and Zach Wilson, they should all improve.

It's going to be so hard for any one team to be truly dominant in the AFC the next 5 seasons. I don't see anyone hosting 4 straight title games like KC has just done.

The NFC on the other hand is wide open.
Dear sir, Lamar Jackson will make the AFC resemble the NFC when he gets adequate protection from his O-line and better coaching and play calling from his OC.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
idk the end of the season for TLaw was pretty bleak - obviously poor circumstances but he showed very little in the 2nd half of the season even after Urban was gone

Wilson was a trainwreck early and flashed a bit at the end of the year but still sucked

Fields was i think the flashiest tbh but never found any sort of consistency with being in and out of the starting lineup for various reasons

Lance has hardly played

Jones has showed off all his strengths but also his limitations showed up in a big way too
Who would you rather have out of all those guys?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
ive been highest on fields since before the draft - after year 1 where nothing's really changed and all 3 (not lance not jones) have been in poor situations, ive got no reason to change that so im probably taking fields still
I agree.. Jones just happened to land in the best situation possible but that arm strength scares me

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree.. Jones just happened to land in the best situation possible but that arm strength scares me

he's good and clearly was the most pro ready and as you say landed in the best situation - but there's a ceiling on his play - and you saw what happened when the weather hit on those outside throws - that offence shrank in the winter

he'll get better - and it's possible he ends up being the best out of that group - but if he is it's not because he's become an elite QB, it's because none of the other QBs in the class got close to their ceilings

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
We go 14-2 with a historically good team and come up with nothing. This trash Bengals team makes the super bowl, I’m done with football

Tank

Hall of Famer
We go 14-2 with a historically good team and come up with nothing. This trash Bengals team makes the super bowl, I’m done with football
At the end of the day regular season play is nothing more than qualifiers for the tournament and entertainment.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
ive been highest on fields since before the draft - after year 1 where nothing's really changed and all 3 (not lance not jones) have been in poor situations, ive got no reason to change that so im probably taking fields still

His problem is that the Bears are not going to get a good OLine so the fact that I can do my taxes in the time it takes him to throw is a big problem.

Then again I’m not sure anyone really works out from last draft. Lawrence is by far the best talent but it is still the the Jags.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd imagine it's exactly that. It's incredibly shitty to not be able to announce your own retirement yourself, let alone when you're viewed the way Brady is.

At my job, a supervisor told the team I was working with that a coworker had gotten a promotion and the girl who got the promotion looked really pissed.

Later, a different girl on the same team made sure at her first opportunity to announce she was moving on so that her supervisor couldn't announce it.

People like to share their own personal news and victories. Brady is absolutely pissed.
I get his view point, BUT, he also knows this comes with the territory of being a celebrity.

A person of his stature basically can't tell anybody he's retiring except for immediate family, otherwise, it'll get leaked by somebody. So the fact that so many reporters have reported such means that he's been sharing the news with quite a few people apparently. Once you start telling a handful of people outside your close circle, its only a matter of time before the public finds out.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Idk about fun… if they sure up that O line they’ll be damn near unbeatable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I doubt it. Nobody is ever unbeatable. They'll have injuries like other teams do, players won't play at the same level, etc. Happens all the time.
Joe Burrow will make them relevant for many years. They'll no longer be a pushover as long as he's playing. But doesn't come close to guaranteeing them SB appearances or division titles for a decade.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
bengals roster this year is pretty loaded - their only weak area is that OL
they dont have many great players on defence beyond jessie bates (and maybe trey hendrickson) but they've got good quality everywhere - and it also helps that they're one of the healthiest teams in the league
and some of the healthiest teams were in the playoffs, which makes sense. I believe we win the division next year and split with the Bengals. I'm calling it now.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’m all for it. Fresh blood in the championship and they can have the target on their back next year.

The thing that worries me the most is they will undoubtedly be better next year with and obnoxious amount of cap space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure they will be better next year. I doubt very much they are as healthy next year as they were this year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
howabout when it comes to QBs and what teams they are on. I'd take Lance over all of them due to him being with Kyle Shanahan.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like how Bengals went from scrubs of the AFC North and possibly AFC to now the cream of it. Let’s punch our brakes here.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
idk the end of the season for TLaw was pretty bleak - obviously poor circumstances but he showed very little in the 2nd half of the season even after Urban was gone

Wilson was a trainwreck early and flashed a bit at the end of the year but still sucked

Fields was i think the flashiest tbh but never found any sort of consistency with being in and out of the starting lineup for various reasons

Lance has hardly played

Jones has showed off all his strengths but also his limitations showed up in a big way too
I think it's a situation where you can't just judge the stats, the same way Lamar was arguably a better passer than 2019 in 2021 despite having a statistically rougher season.

Lawrence absolutely had head scratching throws and up and down decision making, but he also frequently flashed the wow plays and throws that you'd expect from a first overall pick.

Also, I think week 18, which was a big game for the Colts, showed what Lawrence can do. It was definitely his best game of the year. Will it be a sign of things to come? I'd be inclined to think so.

Time will tell if those wow plays can become consistent, but he certainly has the tools.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

What else is there to do in Oklahoma besides watch football?

At the end of the day regular season play is nothing more than qualifiers for the tournament and entertainment.

Yep just get in and you never know.