• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Don't know about January Joe but pretty sure the Joe Cool name had already been used before Flacco.

And the Bengals success means well only get better upgrading the pass defense or way we approach defending it.
Although Flacco was before Burrow as Joe Cool, the original Joe Cool was Joe Namath, although he was normally just referred to as Broadway Joe.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Many on RSR keep saying Harbaugh doesn’t know how to win in the modern league, but contrary to common belief it’s the Bengals defense for why they’re in the damn super bowl.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Many on RSR keep saying Harbaugh doesn’t know how to win in the modern league, but contrary to common belief it’s the Bengals defense for why they’re in the damn super bowl.
So was two years ago, when they went 14-2, not considered "modern"? What era was that in, then?

Frankly, fans emphasize the playoffs a little too much in my eyes. Its all just recency bias. The playoffs is entirely about matchups. Its just a series of win-or-go-home games that are dependent on how a team matches up and gameplans for another.

I tried to explain this to a buddy of mine, who really only follows the NFL for fantasy, the other day, when I was betting on NFL games.

The Rams were a bad matchup for the Bucs, and the 49ers are a bad matchup for the Rams. Nobody actually thinks the 49ers are a better overall team than the Rams, but when they play them, they went 2-1 against them and obviously were close to winning a third time.

If Tampa had beaten the Rams, I would have guaranteed they'd have beaten the 49ers by double digits. Maybe even by 15+ points. Its a horrible matchup for the 49ers.

I think Buffalo beats Cincinnati a lot if they played each other. Yet, they didn't play. I think New England would have had a pretty good chance to beat Cincinnati a lot too. They didn't play.

This notion that teams should only be evaluated based on whether they win SBs or not is pretty laughable to me. Or when people watch the playoffs and see how teams win, and then they say "o see you gotta play that exact way otherwise you'll never win". Pure stupidity. There's no one way to win in this league. If you ever come across somebody who views losing in the SB as a "knock" against a player or a team, write that person off immediately as somebody that knows literally nothing about football.

Last year everybody told me that all KC needed to do was fix its Oline, and they'd be right back. They damn near overhauled the whole thing, improved it dramatically... and they didn't even make it back to the SB. High quality Oline, Mahomes at QB, playmakers all over the offense, and they came up shorter than they did the prior two years. So where does the goal post get moved to now?

Reason # 272 was RSR football "fans" are clowns.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Bring Jensen home
Hopefully someone steps into center and picks up where Jensen left off. Many do not appreciate how important a piece he was in the improvement of last year’s group.

No matter who’s at either guard position if they don’t have a center better than Zuttah they are screwed. Jensen was the best center they’ve had since Birk and as he got better helped soften the blow of missing Yanda. It was after all his first year at the position.

As was mentioned before it was Jensen’s first year at center and he improved steadily as the year went on. Chances are he will be a good one for many years to come. And regardless of scheme Gradkowski and Zuttah were never going to be the answer. Hopefully Skura or Lewis can pick up where Ryan left off.

From summer 2018
Yes, please bring Red home.

Last edited:

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh this is going to be spicy..

7B1427EC-0CEC-4774-8AD2-E64959BF7237.jpeg

Tank

Hall of Famer
I think many wanted to keep him just don't think we could afford him at the time. Could be wrong about that too. Seems so long ago.
All in what the priorities were, center wasn’t one of them.
Many said he wasn’t that good a center, not his natural position. That he would be easy to replace.

Last edited: