• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Per Wikipedia (maybe not the best source, but feeling lazy today):
In May 2020 the NFL increased the requirements of the Rooney rule to require two external minority candidate interviews, rather than one, for head coaching jobs. In addition, teams must now interview at least one minority candidate for all coordinator positions. Also, teams and the NFL league office must also interview at least one minority candidate for senior-level positions, including general manager and club president jobs. Finally, for at least some positions, women may be interviewed to satisfy the requirement.[29]
so it had to be external prior to May 2020?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
so it had to be external prior to May 2020?
That I'm not sure. Sounds like it needed to be one candidate, but I'm not certain on whether it was internal or external.

I remember at the outset of the rule that, yeah, teams were basically just giving "token" interviews to black assistant coaches on their own staff, who never had a shot in hell of getting the actual gig. But I think they did revise that before this revision, though.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Maryland Stadium Authority is seeking state legislative approval to borrow $1.2B to pay for Upgrades to both Camden Yards & M & T Bank Stadium and keep the Ravens & Orioles in their current stadiums for years. Orioles lease goes through 2023 and the Ravens lease expires in 2027 with the Ravens already working on an extension.

This is to avoid building new fancy stadiums like other teams have done.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politi...0220202-m6pek4xuircktpy454upsaycye-story.html

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maryland Stadium Authority is seeking state legislative approval to borrow $1.2B to pay for Upgrades to both Camden Yards & M & T Bank Stadium and keep the Ravens & Orioles in their current stadiums for years. Orioles lease goes through 2023 and the Ravens lease expires in 2027 with the Ravens already working on an extension.

This is to avoid building new fancy stadiums like other teams have done.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politi...0220202-m6pek4xuircktpy454upsaycye-story.html
Well I basically would never want them to tear down Camden Yards. That stadium is fantastic at 30 years old. Still think its one of the better places in the league to watch a game. Love the layout, feels very open, especially in the outfield, and doesn't really show much age to me. Product on the field is total shit and words can't describe the joy I will feel when Peter Angelos finally croaks (though I'm sure his family will do just as shitty of a job running the team), but I wouldn't change a thing about the stadium.

M&T I'm on the fence. It's a thoroughly unspectacular football stadium to me. Always felt very plain. No defining or intriguing characteristics of any kind. I realize a lot of football stadiums are that way, but it's just there. I can't say there's anything wrong with it, but I can't say there's anything great about it either. It's just meh.

Logistically they're probably running out of space to build a new stadium anyway, so they'd either need to bulldoze M&T and build over it, or keep it. The location is reasonable. I'm sure in a perfect world Bisciotti would probably build something in like Owings Mills or on the outskirts of town, but I think its fine as is.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Well I basically would never want them to tear down Camden Yards. That stadium is fantastic at 30 years old. Still think its one of the better places in the league to watch a game. Love the layout, feels very open, especially in the outfield, and doesn't really show much age to me. Product on the field is total shit and words can't describe the joy I will feel when Peter Angelos finally croaks (though I'm sure his family will do just as shitty of a job running the team), but I wouldn't change a thing about the stadium.
Fwiw, I'm pretty sure John Angelos is the one in charge now

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Only way for the Rooney Rule works is if every team operates in good faith.

what happened to Flores with the dolphins is disgusting. How he doesn’t have a job is weird to me

marklar

Pro Bowler
Irrespective of the rest of the Flores story, the pay-to-lose part would be game rigging and would lead to a court case with potential jail time for Ross here in Sweden. I don't know the legalese in the US, but if Flores can prove that, then Ross should be forced to sell the team

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That I'm not sure. Sounds like it needed to be one candidate, but I'm not certain on whether it was internal or external.

I remember at the outset of the rule that, yeah, teams were basically just giving "token" interviews to black assistant coaches on their own staff, who never had a shot in hell of getting the actual gig. But I think they did revise that before this revision, though.
exactly why I was asking why it used to be external. I remember exactly what you remember. Many times even if they go outside the organization it's still a token interview and that's the problem.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Only way for the Rooney Rule works is if every team operates in good faith.

what happened to Flores with the dolphins is disgusting. How he doesn’t have a job is weird to me

Have you read about his communication issues with dolphins leadership and general dislike for Tua, who the owner/gm supported? I’m interested in the full story, but going against your bosses wishes isn’t a recipe for long term employment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Irrespective of the rest of the Flores story, the pay-to-lose part would be game rigging and would lead to a court case with potential jail time for Ross here in Sweden. I don't know the legalese in the US, but if Flores can prove that, then Ross should be forced to sell the team

would be the same in the UK too - but i think the US has only recently legalised sports betting so not sure if that impacts the legality of what happened

but if it happened this year then that for sure would be something that could lead to major repercussions i imagine

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Have you read about his communication issues with dolphins leadership and general dislike for Tua, who the owner/gm supported? I’m interested in the full story, but going against your bosses wishes isn’t a recipe for long term employment.

i mean it doesnt sound like the owner supported tua based on the lawsuit...
and the lawsuit could re-contextualise some of those "communication issues" given that he went against ownership who was asking him to break league rules - throws a little bit of doubt on what those collaboration issues actually might have been...

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

He has a real case against the Dolphins. I live in South Florida and generally the fans feel like the owner is a shade tree

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
would be the same in the UK too - but i think the US has only recently legalised sports betting so not sure if that impacts the legality of what happened

but if it happened this year then that for sure would be something that could lead to major repercussions i imagine
Well by all accounts, Flores didn't take the payments and didn't attempt to lose games. So the actual act that everybody fears happening didn't actually occur.

Attempting to do something like this would probably have some legal resource, but it's basically a white-collar crime, which means he certainly wouldn't do jail time. It would just be fines and what not.

In reality, it would probably never get to the legal level either. It would be something the Courts would push back on the NFL to handle themselves, i.e. force him to sell most likely.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
He has a real case against the Dolphins. I live in South Florida and generally the fans feel like the owner is a shade tree
I guess what case does he have against the Dolphins? That he was fired inappropriately? That's a very, very, very steep hill to climb.

Him refusing to take bribe money from his boss to throw games probably isn't enough. It certainly wouldn't be a criminal issue. The biggest thing going against him in that spot is, of course, he kept his job for over 2 more years after the incident. If he was offered bribes by his Owner, declined, and were fired like days or weeks later, then he has a very valid discrimination claim.

The duration of the time he kept his job after the events occurred goes against him in this case.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I guess what case does he have against the Dolphins? That he was fired inappropriately? That's a very, very, very steep hill to climb.

Him refusing to take bribe money from his boss to throw games probably isn't enough. It certainly wouldn't be a criminal issue. The biggest thing going against him in that spot is, of course, he kept his job for over 2 more years after the incident. If he was offered bribes by his Owner, declined, and were fired like days or weeks later, then he has a very valid discrimination claim.

The duration of the time he kept his job after the events occurred goes against him in this case.

I said it wrong. I did not mean a court case. I mean the NFL having to step in and do something about the Dolphins

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I said it wrong. I did not mean a court case. I mean the NFL having to step in and do something about the Dolphins

This is all bad PR for the NFL. Broncos all of the sudden are for sale which is one of the teams that showed up an hour late and hung over for an interview with Flores. I am not saying it's connected but the timing is perfect it appears.

@rmcjacket23

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

And the boss, who is just a financial provider, involving himself in football matters, is exactly why the dolphins have been a laughing stock for all but 1 season of the past 15 years and why they’re headed back to the scrap heap after looking promising for all of one year.

As Jimmy mcnulty once said, fuck the bosses.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is all bad PR for the NFL. Broncos all of the sudden are for sale which is one of the teams that showed up an hour late and hung over for an interview with Flores. I am not saying it's connected but the timing is perfect it appears.

@rmcjacket23
Well yeah. It's orchestrated by Flores. He even acknowledged the lawsuit was filed on February 1st, the first day of Black History Month. That was by design.

The Broncos sale is largely unrelated. They've been in litigation for years over that. Their majority Owner died like 2.5 years ago. They've been talking about sale ever since, but the families and lawyers have been involved for a long time.

Plus the criticism of the Broncos was surrounding Elway and the GM group, not of Ownership. And I doubt a new Owner is going to fire those guys over this. Showing up hungover to an interview isn't exactly a fire-able offense, or really even that bad of PR.