• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Kyler Murray has unfollowed everything Cardinals on all his pages and deleted his Cardinals stuff. Meanwhile AZ is included in the lawsuit for how they handled Wilks. A coincidence?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That may be true of most of you but not me lol. I'm very much not a fan of the Aaron Rodgers, Joe Burrow, Mayfield, Manziel etc personalities. I'm much more a fan of the quiet Flacco, Lamars, Josh Allen etc.

Don't get me wrong I really respect Burrows talent. He's been extremely good. I just think he's kind of douchey. Add that he's in the division and it just makes it way easier to root for Stafford who has been in hell his whole career finally getting an opportunity.

but i dont see them all as that similar
burrow's cocky but he's not an asshole like rodgers who leans into being an abrasive asshole as part of his "mystique"

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I really want to see Burrow lose so badly. His arrogance is so funny to me because while he deserves to be a LITTLE arrogant, he's always talking about his clothes and jewelry and how much money he makes blah blah blah and it always sounds like an absolute cringe fest. It's really insufferable.

I don't have a problem with any of the off the field stuff with Burrow, it would be easier to like him if he played in any other division. Plus the Home Alone memes that have come with Burrow are funny lol.

With that said... we want the Bengals to lose because it's already bad he's in the Super Bowl before Lamar, but he wins one before him? Nah... Much rather see Stafford and Donald win one, plus Weddle too.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I don't have a problem with any of the off the field stuff with Burrow, it would be easier to like him if he played in any other division. Plus the Home Alone memes that have come with Burrow are funny lol.

With that said... we want the Bengals to lose because it's already bad he's in the Super Bowl before Lamar, but he wins one before him? Nah... Much rather see Stafford and Donald win one, plus Weddle too.
Cooper Kupp. The Man.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
stumbled across this yesterday...

turns out there is probably a link between run success and play-action (that previous analytical models have not been able to find)

https://roguefootballanalytics.word...s-lead-to-improved-play-action-effectiveness/

and guess who the guy who did this study works for???
joined the ravens player personnel department in june 2021

but the tl;dr is that there is a relationship between run success and play-action success - but that the relationships is dependent on depth of targets - the shorter targets are effected by previous run success (in both the short and longer term) but deeper targets are not

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

turns out there is probably a link between run success and play-action (that previous analytical models have not been able to find)

https://roguefootballanalytics.word...s-lead-to-improved-play-action-effectiveness/

but the tl;dr is that there is a relationship between run success and play-action success - but that the relationships is dependent on depth of targets - the shorter targets are effected by previous run success (in both the short and longer term) but deeper targets are not

Is this not common sense lmao

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Always felt this. Run success doesn’t do much for play action bombs, but when you freeze LBs you can hit seams and intermediate crossers to your TE much more effectively. It’s literally the most consistent and reliable play in the ravens playbook

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Is this not common sense lmao

it is - but for the last few years there's been tons of data around that basically says that the running game has no measurable impact on the play-action pass success which challenged assumptions about the importance of the running game in setting up play-action

what this data shows is that there is a connection but it clarifies a couple of things

1) the connection is only there on shorter throws off play-action and there's no obvious relationship between running game success and play-action success on deep throws and that's because DBs mostly dont have run fits or gap responsibilities in the running game the same way linebackers do so they're as unaffected by the run-fake part of play-action as they would be on a run play
2) it doesn't take much running or success to be effective on play-action and take advantage of that wasted motion by the linebackers who have to read run first so the correlation isnt huge

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Always felt this. Run success doesn’t do much for play action bombs, but when you freeze LBs you can hit seams and intermediate crossers to your TE much more effectively. It’s literally the most consistent and reliable play in the ravens playbook

and it's why RPOs are so effective over the middle of the field with slants etc. - not only are you creating conflict with a mesh, you also get to make the LB wrong - if they dont come down on the mesh then you hand-off and next time they'll have to respect the run or you'll just keep gashing them on the ground - if they do come down then you know the space is behind them

Tank

Hall of Famer

I think running analytical models like this is interesting and can provide some value, but there are so many factors that can make the data used somewhat subjective. Talent levels of the players, weather, playing surfaces, etc., etc., all can affect play selection/play success. It's useful, but not definitive I think.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think running analytical models like this is interesting and can provide some value, but there are so many factors that can make the data used somewhat subjective. Talent levels of the players, weather, playing surfaces, etc., etc., all can affect play selection/play success. It's useful, but not definitive I think.

which is why they use 1000s of points of data (more than 10000 in this case) and added in controls and adjusted for lots of different factors (including quality of players and teams etc.)...

Tank

Hall of Famer
which is why they use 1000s of points of data (more than 10000 in this case) and added in controls and adjusted for lots of different factors (including quality of players and teams etc.)...
Right. Dependent on selection of added in controls and what adjustments made for which factors, still somewhat subjective. Useful, but not definitive.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer