• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Still made the SB.

Ravens weren't in the stratosphere of that.

Which is why I don’t get a #2 WR throwing jabs on Twitter from the couch. Whatever gets you going I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Which is why I don’t get a #2 WR throwing jabs on Twitter from the couch. Whatever gets you going I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't understand 99% of the things people say on Twitter. Either people really are this stupid in real life, or they enjoy pretending to be.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Pass rush wins superbowls. Additionally, the opposite is true, really good OL win superbowls.

2 years now, 4 different teams but the same story. One team had a very weak offensive line and the other team had a very good pass rush. The team with the good pass rush beat the team with the bad OL both times.

It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. But what's a little concerning is I'd call neither our OL nor our pass rush very good.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
OK, put another way, they didn't field a roster that day that gave them the maximum chance to win. And they did that intentionally, because they didn't care if they won or not.

Our fanbase routinely credits or discredits wins/losses based on who opponents had in the game or who we didn't have in the game. It's obviously hypocritical to not point that out when it happens to other teams either.
I don't care who they played. They won the division and the AFC, who cares who won or lost. Fact is they made the SB and that is better than we can say.

BTW, what you are saying isn't unique to the Ravens fanbase.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Well, realistically, because it's super hard to get to these things or even win one. The best franchises in history average about one win per 10 years.

Franchises like the Patriots that win like 6 or 7 in a two decide period are extremely outliers. If you go and look at the Steelers and 49ers, who are historically two of the "gold standard" franchises for lifetime achievements, they're very "batch" heavy. They'll win a couple in a short period, then be irrelevant for decades.

The Patriots ruined people's expectations of franchise success. If you're not winning 3 every decade you suck.

My only problem Harbaugh is what I deem loyalty to a fault. He's adapted and changed over the years and players do seem to respond to him.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Patriots ruined people's expectations of franchise success. If you're not winning 3 every decade you suck.

My only problem Harbaugh is what I deem loyalty to a fault. He's adapted and changed over the years and players do seem to respond to him.
Well, the flip side of "loyalty to a fault" is that he scapegoats anyone and everyone except for himself for failure. Firing coaches left and right, cutting players, etc.
The latter part is going to happen in the general course of business, but there aren't any quality HC's I see who routinely roll over on their coaching staff every time adversity happens.

The fact that a good chunk of our fanbase's solution to everything is "fire the coach", it's pretty much impossible for that concept to actually work out long term. If you get a great assistant coach, they'll get hired for a better gig elsewhere quickly. If you get somebody that sucks, the fans want them fired immediately.

Kind of makes it impossible to have good assistants if you think about it.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Well, the flip side of "loyalty to a fault" is that he scapegoats anyone and everyone except for himself for failure. Firing coaches left and right, cutting players, etc.
The latter part is going to happen in the general course of business, but there aren't any quality HC's I see who routinely roll over on their coaching staff every time adversity happens.

The fact that a good chunk of our fanbase's solution to everything is "fire the coach", it's pretty much impossible for that concept to actually work out long term. If you get a great assistant coach, they'll get hired for a better gig elsewhere quickly. If you get somebody that sucks, the fans want them fired immediately.

Kind of makes it impossible to have good assistants if you think about it.
Unless your HC is an offensive mind like Andy Reid, Sean Peyton, Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan, you're going to find it to be very difficult to retain good coaches. The reality is that we're dependent on our OC for a great scheme and the reality is that's Reid or Peyton are never going to leave their situations to be assistants, especially when they have complete team autonomy. Harbaugh doesn't have the power that any of those coaches have. I'm not going to lie, I was a huge Sean Payton fan and wanted him here admittedly, but it's not going to happen so as of now Harbaugh is the best we got and we're going to have to accept that we're going to have a rotating door at OC.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Unless your HC is an offensive mind like Andy Reid, Sean Peyton, Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan, you're going to find it to be very difficult to retain good coaches. The reality is that we're dependent on our OC for a great scheme and the reality is that's Reid or Peyton are never going to leave their situations to be assistants, especially when they have complete team autonomy. Harbaugh doesn't have the power that any of those coaches have. I'm not going to lie, I was a huge Sean Payton fan and wanted him here admittedly, but it's not going to happen so as of now Harbaugh is the best we got and we're going to have to accept that we're going to have a rotating door at OC.
No, it just means you might end up with a guy like a Roman, Pees, or Wink, who are pretty good at their jobs, not the best, and aren't bad enough to get fired.

And if you can Roman, and you find somebody better, they'll leave. And if they're not leaving, it means they're probably not an upgrade over Roman to begin with.

I don't mind firing trash coaches. Roman isn't a trash coach.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m seeing a lot of people here okay with mediocrity… and that’s totally fine. Not sure Lamar, or any other player worth their weight, is exactly happy with that though so

D1City55

Pro Bowler
No, it just means you might end up with a guy like a Roman, Pees, or Wink, who are pretty good at their jobs, not the best, and aren't bad enough to get fired.

And if you can Roman, and you find somebody better, they'll leave. And if they're not leaving, it means they're probably not an upgrade over Roman to begin with.

I don't mind firing trash coaches. Roman isn't a trash coach.
I don't think Roman is a trash coach but I don't think he's all that great either. He's a good coach but to a certain fault. I don't think I see creativity in the passing game on his end, I don't see him scheming guys open like Reid and Payton nor do I see him have a play that he can go to in the red zone that can confuse a defense like those shovel passes Reid does in KC. We can blame execution all we want which I definitely would give a large part of the blame alongside of injuries but I don't think Greg Roman has ever proven to be creative in the passing game, this is something multiple fan bases outside of ours has complained about and atm I can't give him the benefit of the doubt there. I think he wanted to go deeper in the playbook but injuries prevented that.

Again, not saying Roman is trash but we've been wanting an elite caliber OC like a Payton, Reid or McVay and reality is unless those guys are our HCs, we're just going to be stuck with Roman who like you said are good coaches that are not bad enough to get fired.

I think this year we're really going to have a good assessment of Roman. OL should be improved, run game should be back and the skill players are good enough to allow you to attempt passes all over the field.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler

I’m seeing a lot of people here okay with mediocrity… and that’s totally fine. Not sure Lamar, or any other player worth their weight, is exactly happy with that though so

What a great fit someone like Sean Payton would be for Lamar! Payton will go to Dallas and do what could be done here with Lamar, but for a Head coach who shows devotion, like JH, Payton isn't even in the realm of consideration. Why??? He could take John's job in a heartbeat.

I'm gonna say it............... John Harbaugh is the Trent Dilfer of Head Coaches. In the right situation he can get it together, but most of the time he's gonna blow it when he shouldn't.

There. The weight is off my chest.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
What a great fit someone like Sean Payton would be for Lamar! Payton will go to Dallas and do what could be done here with Lamar, but for a Head coach who shows devotion, like JH, Payton isn't even in the realm of consideration. Why??? He could take John's job in a heartbeat.

I'm gonna say it............... John Harbaugh is the Trent Dilfer of Head Coaches. In the right situation he can get it together, but most of the time he's gonna blow it when he shouldn't.

I think the problem with this argument is that you'd be hard pressed to find situations where the Ravens were talented enough to compete for a Lombardi and didn't because of poor coaching.

Pretty much all of the "close calls" we had as a team were derailed from obvious execution failures of the players. And those aren't taught or coached...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think Roman is a trash coach but I don't think he's all that great either. He's a good coach but to a certain fault. I don't think I see creativity in the passing game on his end, I don't see him scheming guys open like Reid and Payton nor do I see him have a play that he can go to in the red zone that can confuse a defense like those shovel passes Reid does in KC. We can blame execution all we want which I definitely would give a large part of the blame alongside of injuries but I don't think Greg Roman has ever proven to be creative in the passing game, this is something multiple fan bases outside of ours has complained about and atm I can't give him the benefit of the doubt there. I think he wanted to go deeper in the playbook but injuries prevented that.

Again, not saying Roman is trash but we've been wanting an elite caliber OC like a Payton, Reid or McVay and reality is unless those guys are our HCs, we're just going to be stuck with Roman who like you said are good coaches that are not bad enough to get fired.

I think this year we're really going to have a good assessment of Roman. OL should be improved, run game should be back and the skill players are good enough to allow you to attempt passes all over the field.
elite OC or DC for that matter become head coaches. Harbaugh is a leader of men and why he's been here and been successful for his time as a head coach, in Baltimore.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think said players should make sure their game is air tight before they worry about mediocrity elsewhere. I've seen plenty of mediocrity from guys like Lamar and others. Nobody objectively thinks anybody on this roster is playing at super high max level snap after snap, drive after drive, week after week, season after season.

If people aren't happy with mediocrity, elevate the people around you to be better. Its every bit a players responsibility as it is a coach's responsibility.

If fans think changing coaching staffs, regardless of what role they have, is going to guarantee elevated play from players, said fans clearly don't actually watch games. The best any fan could argue is that changes in leadership will create a 50/50 change in personnel output. Sometimes it'll improve, sometimes it will regress. That's why most teams are, in fact, content with mediocrity at certain positions and even certain coaching positions.

There's a reason why you've got franchises that have losing cultures for decades. That's not necessarily because the Owner doesn't care about winning. A lot of times, its cycle after cycle of failed leadership. Which tells you that just changing it for the sake of change doesn't guarantee you anything.

If a coach sucks, get rid of him. If the players stop relating to him and don't trust him, get rid of him. Otherwise, it's like drawing lottery balls from a spinning barrel.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
elite OC or DC for that matter become head coaches. Harbaugh is a leader of men and why he's been here and been successful for his time as a head coach, in Baltimore.
Correct. If fans want a great OC, fire Harbaugh. It's the only way you can get them to come and stay.
And John hasn't earned the right to be fired by any stretch of the imagination.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Really. Sean Payton had Drew Brees as his QB for all but two seasons as head coach in New Orleans. Including this season his regular season record was 152-89 (.631) post season 9-8 (.529) for a total record of 161-97 (.624).

Harbaugh's regular season record 137-88 post season 11-8 for a total of 148-96.

I agree this isn't the best way to view who is a better coach, because they are both great coaches. Payton had one of the best QBs of our generation. Harbaugh has had Flacco and Lamar. Far from scrubs but not Drew Brees.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Correct. If fans want a great OC, fire Harbaugh. It's the only way you can get them to come and stay.
And John hasn't earned the right to be fired by any stretch of the imagination.
It would be the stupidest thing this franchise has ever done and the fans would see the how good Harbaugh was right away. You don't fire head coaches who are as good as Harbaugh, you let them retire.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think the problem with this argument is that you'd be hard pressed to find situations where the Ravens were talented enough to compete for a Lombardi and didn't because of poor coaching.

Pretty much all of the "close calls" we had as a team were derailed from obvious execution failures of the players. And those aren't taught or coached...

Ah yes, 2019 never existed…. Nor has 1 playoff win in 10 years… roll eyes