• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ah yes, 2019 never existed…. Nor has 1 playoff win in 10 years… roll eyes
How was 2019 a coaching failure? What about the Titans loss can be contributed to bad coaching by Harbaugh or even Roman?

Serious question... did you actually watch the game?

If I gave you a year to review you couldn't draw an intelligent conclusion of a coaching failure. You give me an hour and I'll give you a bunch of plays of guys doing shit that high school coaches would mock them for. I'm talking letterman jacket at Applebees-level stuff here.

Ain't hard to win one playoff game in 8 years when you miss the playoffs most of the seasons. Let me guess... next you're going to try to convince me that 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 were all coaching failures to do right? Because when I think of talented teams, those don't exactly come to mind...

D1City55

Pro Bowler
elite OC or DC for that matter become head coaches. Harbaugh is a leader of men and why he's been here and been successful for his time as a head coach, in Baltimore.
That's kind of the problem which is why we'll never have one for that long. Unless we manage to somehow get Reid or Payton we're going to have to rid of Harbaugh. Harbaugh is a great leader and doesn't deserve to get fired.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Interesting podcast from the beat down this week. They went back and forth on:

1. Do the Ravens take a long term approach to their detriment? Lots of talk about the current model to remain relevant but not always competitive for a championship. Essentially wasting time and cap money on low value additions via free agency rather than players who push you over the top. I think a lot of that is in regard to the final Flacco years when we knew we weren’t a great team but spent cap funds on low value additions. Also how the last two super bowl winners were mercenary teams.

2. Do we over value draft picks? More teams seem to be willing to part with draft picks to find their guy via trades.

3. “Cap hell” is overrated and teams regularly push the bill continually down the road while maintaining success.

Interesting listen. With all things a happy medium is usually the best way. I do agree, stacking drafting picks is a bit overrated. However, EDC seems more willing to be aggressive in both free agency and trading than his predecessor so I’m not really sure I agree with the premise of the argument. Has he done enough though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

1. Do the Ravens take a long term approach to their detriment? Lots of talk about the current model to remain relevant but not always competitive for a championship. Essentially wasting time and cap money on low value additions via free agency rather than players who push you over the top. I think a lot of that is in regard to the final Flacco years when we knew we weren’t a great team but spent cap funds on low value additions. Also how the last two super bowl winners were mercenary teams.

2. Do we over value draft picks? More teams seem to be willing to part with draft picks to find their guy via trades.

3. “Cap hell” is overrated and teams regularly push the bill continually down the road while maintaining success.

Interesting listen. With all things a happy medium is usually the best way. I do agree, stacking drafting picks is a bit overrated. However, EDC seems more willing to be aggressive in both free agency and trading than his predecessor so I’m not really sure I agree with the premise of the argument. Has he done enough though?

In regards to two topics:
1. Overvaluing draft picks. Short answer is... maybe. I don't think we overvalue early picks. I think maybe we overvalue mid-to-late rounders, i.e. comp picks.
That being said... I think this notion is largely predicated on the fact that a lot of teams in the league have bad scouting departments and aren't any good in the draft, so they're essentially forced to spend big $ in FA and make trades in order to stay relevant.
There's also plenty of data that suggests spending big $ in FA doesn't correlate positively to W/L record, meaning a lot of times you're just spending a lot of money without the output to carry it.
2. Cap hell is somewhat overvalued, however that would depend on how teams structure deals. Depending on the types of deals you're doing and how they're structured, kicking the can down the road may actually be financially impossible.

I think the Saints are going to be a great example of this. I don't expect them to be overly competitive (at least not a playoff team) in 2022, and that will largely be a product of the moves they'll need to make in order to get under the cap. It will be a case study in what "going all in" looks like when you're at the end of it. The money never goes away... it just gets deferred. It's not like teams are deferring it for centuries and it never goes away.

The reality with "cap hell" though is it can very much be like a 1-2 year problem and then goes away. If it's something that's extended beyond that, then the FO needs to assess what those reasons are.

Would also point out a lot of this discussion, I'm sure, is an overreaction to the Rams model of "going all in" to win a SB. It worked. It hasn't worked for others. The Saints have been doing everything they can to stay relevant for a decade now, and while they've been relevant, they don't have any Lombardi's to show for it in the last decade +. "Going all in" doesn't guarantee you anything in this league.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Saints are in cap hell and will be losing a load of good players this offseason because of it. Voidable years contracts isn't the way to go as it nails you down the road as well. Plenty of teams that use this method haven't had success, they have just done it out of necessity.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
This is crazy. I had no idea

rossihunter2

Staff Member
In regards to two topics:
1. Overvaluing draft picks. Short answer is... maybe. I don't think we overvalue early picks. I think maybe we overvalue mid-to-late rounders, i.e. comp picks.
That being said... I think this notion is largely predicated on the fact that a lot of teams in the league have bad scouting departments and aren't any good in the draft, so they're essentially forced to spend big $ in FA and make trades in order to stay relevant.
There's also plenty of data that suggests spending big $ in FA doesn't correlate positively to W/L record, meaning a lot of times you're just spending a lot of money without the output to carry it.
2. Cap hell is somewhat overvalued, however that would depend on how teams structure deals. Depending on the types of deals you're doing and how they're structured, kicking the can down the road may actually be financially impossible.

I think the Saints are going to be a great example of this. I don't expect them to be overly competitive (at least not a playoff team) in 2022, and that will largely be a product of the moves they'll need to make in order to get under the cap. It will be a case study in what "going all in" looks like when you're at the end of it. The money never goes away... it just gets deferred. It's not like teams are deferring it for centuries and it never goes away.

The reality with "cap hell" though is it can very much be like a 1-2 year problem and then goes away. If it's something that's extended beyond that, then the FO needs to assess what those reasons are.

Would also point out a lot of this discussion, I'm sure, is an overreaction to the Rams model of "going all in" to win a SB. It worked. It hasn't worked for others. The Saints have been doing everything they can to stay relevant for a decade now, and while they've been relevant, they don't have any Lombardi's to show for it in the last decade +. "Going all in" doesn't guarantee you anything in this league.

Also would be false to think the rams don’t value draft picks - on the contrary they value them very highly especially comp picks and other mid round picks - they take the view that if they can package 1s for impact players and superstars then they’re getting more value out of those picks than most teams get

but it’s crucial to their success that most of their roster is home-grown and consists of complementary players they acquire cheaply via the draft of udfa

yes they’ve succeeded and won the super bowl off the backs of their superstars - but they also wouldn’t have got there if they hadn’t been so good recently at identifying complementary talent in rounds 3-7

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is crazy. I had no idea

I mean I’ve been trying to tell all of you this for over a month now lol - his production massively dropped because the ravens offence shrunk

through the first half of the season we were the 3rd most explosive passing attack in the league and that was largely down to Hollywood... Andrews and Watkins obviously contributed somewhat but Hollywood led the way in terms of explosive plays

and when Lamar went down that explosive element disappeared from our offence