• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

D1City55

Pro Bowler
i think the problem is that with how much of a lottery the draft is, the data has shown that the guy you trade up for is statistically no more likely to be a hit than the guy you stayed at your spot for - now obviously you have to trust your grades and if there's a big grade disparity and you're not sure the guy's gonna make it to you then you have to move up (which i guess is what happened with miles boykin... which obviously didnt work out but also with Lamar which has obviously worked out insanely well and we gave up a future pick to get back into the 2020 class and take proche too)

EDC said before the 2020 draft if there was anyone he'd trade up for if they got in some sort of reasonable range and he said chase young and that's basically it - if you're trading up (especially in round 1) you have to be almost 100% certain that the guy is who you think he is

and that's the reason why you hoard lots of draft picks - exactly for the reason you said - they realise not all those guys are going to be hits... so the more guys you take the more likely you are to find someone

obviously it didnt work out in 2019 where the day 3 (and day 2 as well lol) portion of that draft hasnt really panned out and we're lucky we got backup level guard play from ben powers, some special teams value from justice hill and found mekari as a udfa)

and we havent found any "true" starters from our day 3 picks the last 3 years yet - but there's some promising depth and rotational pieces with broderick washington, james proche and geno stone in 2020 and tylan wallace and daelin hayes in 2021 - it's still early enough that those guys have a chance to develop and earn more snaps and carve out roles for themselves
I believe the team wanted to move up for Khalil Mack in the 2014 draft but just didn't have enough to offer. The Ravens surely would be aggressive to move up for someone if they feel that generational talent is there that has no chance at being a bust is there but if not they're going to stack up, I'm pretty sure I heard from Ozzie that the more picks you have the better chance at hitting on a player.

To put it simply, the Ravens have been mediocre in the 2nd round in the past decade with a good amount of misses in the first with some good players but not elite talent outside of Stanley, Marlon, and Lamar. It's rounds 3-6 where the Ravens do a superb job.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I believe the team wanted to move up for Khalil Mack in the 2014 draft but just didn't have enough to offer. The Ravens surely would be aggressive to move up for someone if they feel that generational talent is there that has no chance at being a bust is there but if not they're going to stack up, I'm pretty sure I heard from Ozzie that the more picks you have the better chance at hitting on a player.

To put it simply, the Ravens have been mediocre in the 2nd round in the past decade with a good amount of misses in the first with some good players but not elite talent outside of Stanley, Marlon, and Lamar. It's rounds 3-6 where the Ravens do a superb job.
Hump borderline elite..

rossihunter2

Staff Member

weve been pretty consistently great with 1st rounders and especially since 2016... the only misstep since then was Hayden hurst

and we’ve probably only missed on 3 total 1st rounders since like 2005... that’s pretty good

we’ve sucked at 2nd rounders for sure - but we’ve also only had 1 of those since we picked Correa in 2017 and that was JK Dobbins (the easiest way not to suck at 2nd rounders is not to have any lol)

what we need to do is find value after round 3 which we’ve been struggling with since the crazy 2018 draft (there’s still a chance we find more significant contributions from the 2020 and 2021 groups but no obvious starters like we’ve found in the past on day 3)

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Stafford really watched a photographer fall and then told his wife to help her as he walked away... wtf. Apparently she fractured her spine when she fell.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Stafford really watched a photographer fall and then told his wife to help her as he walked away... wtf. Apparently she fractured her spine when she fell.

Where are all the “fans” lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Well, in fairness, there's a bunch of people below that could help her quicker than he could, and there's really no "help" he can provide. Not like he could have prevented her from fracturing her spine.
Him "helping" her is mostly just "for show".

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Well, in fairness, there's a bunch of people below that could help her quicker than he could, and there's really no "help" he can provide. Not like he could have prevented her from fracturing her spine.
Him "helping" her is mostly just "for show".
In honestly he couldve atleast looked down
To see regardless if he couldnt help or not.. he probably drunk and not himself but a person in their right state of mind wouldve looked down atleast.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
some of that seems pretty credible although maybe not everything (some of the specific play-calling seems unrealistic)

I guess Ben allbright was right the last couple of years when he said he was not interviewing well
interviews stops a lot of great people from getting jobs

JAAM

Hall of Famer
It is LA. So, many other attractions! lol!
We can't miss a day of work over here because if we do, we wouldn't be able to afford our 2k one bedroom apartments and 5 dollar gas

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
In honestly he couldve atleast looked down
To see regardless if he couldnt help or not.. he probably drunk and not himself but a person in their right state of mind wouldve looked down atleast.
OK so now we're at the point where we're using social media to judge celebrities based on our arbitrary thought process of "well I would have done this in that moment".

And this is where the public loses me at so many levels...