• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I think the Boyle speculation comes from one of Marlons IG lives where he approached him and I think Boyle said something along the lines of don't act like we're cool just for the camera. Not 100% sure.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I remember a few weeks ago I had a debate with @rmcjacket23 about the WR money, and how while it was not 27-30m like advertised it was still a massive jump for the position and during it we agreed those last years were obviously fake but I did not even think about the obvious implication of that: it gives the player almost complete control over his next contract. You cannot let Hill or Adams play on a 40m salary so you either cut them or pay them a fortune (which also makes them untaggable as you cannot pay 120% of that). So while the money may be obviously fake it serves a very useful purpose in empowering the player.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I remember a few weeks ago I had a debate with @rmcjacket23 about the WR money, and how while it was not 27-30m like advertised it was still a massive jump for the position and during it we agreed those last years were obviously fake but I did not even think about the obvious implication of that: it gives the player almost complete control over his next contract. You cannot let Hill or Adams play on a 40m salary so you either cut them or pay them a fortune (which also makes them untaggable as you cannot pay 120% of that). So while the money may be obviously fake it serves a very useful purpose in empowering the player.
True, BUT, you're assuming that the next contract has to be bigger than the current one, which won't be the case with most of these guys.
For example, when Tyreke Hill gets to the "fake money" portion of his contract, he'll be 32. Are NFL teams going to rely on a speedster WR like him to be elite at 32? I doubt it. I think his decline may be steeper than others.
Davante Adams will be 33 when his "fake money" kicks in.

So either these guys will legitimately be cut and go into the market, where MAYBE they make as much, but probably make less, or the team gets them to restructure for a large paycut or on an extension.

So basically, these deals have virtually no downside for the team. The players aren't maintaining any leverage because they're not likely to be the high end players they are now 3-4 years down the road.
It's actually pretty brilliant of the teams. They're basically playing off the "diva mentality" of these WRs' and just ballooning their AAV's and total money to make them think that they're the best. All the while, the team is basically drawing a line in the sand and saying "hey when you're X years old, I think you'll be in decline, and we're going to stop paying you when it's that time". Not a coincidence that the deals were structured in this way.

And remember, I'm only referencing the obvious cut points. They could be cut sooner than that. Hill could be gone by 2025, with almost $18M in cap savings and only $10M in dead money. If he suffers a major injury this year, he could even be gone by 2024.

Adams figures to have a longer career than Hill, but he's cuttable after just two years.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Some people on reddit are saying Boyle doesn't like Marlon lol. Thinks he's a douche. Wouldn't surprise me at all

Tbf I think it’s now gone too far the other way - I think marlo’s a bit weird lol but it’s clear that his teammates do like him and Lacie decosta even came out the other day to defend his character because it had gone too far because he’s a lovely person lol

But would not be surprised if boyle’s not a fan - they’re like diametrically opposite people

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Tbf I think it’s now gone too far the other way - I think marlo’s a bit weird lol but it’s clear that his teammates do like him and Lacie decosta even came out the other day to defend his character because it had gone too far because he’s a lovely person lol

But would not be surprised if boyle’s not a fan - they’re like diametrically opposite people
This

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I tend to save those days for prime time games
In all seriousness, I feel year pain. Living in Okinawa Japan they used to come on at 2 am. My kids weren't with me then, so I would take some sleeping pills around 5pm Sunday and wake up at 2 Am on the dot to watch the game. Monday afternoons were always brutal

In all seriousness, I feel year pain. Living in Okinawa Japan they used to come on at 2 am. My kids weren't with me then, so I would take some sleeping pills around 5pm Sunday and wake up at 2 Am on the dot to watch the game. Monday afternoons were always brutal
Yeah and the older you get the harder it is!

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
If 2006 ravens wouldve won SB that doc wouldve been crazy. Crazy ass personalities on that team.. 2000 ravens gonna be nice too though especially when ray lewis tell them that he told offense to just score 6 points and we will do the rest

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
True, BUT, you're assuming that the next contract has to be bigger than the current one, which won't be the case with most of these guys.
For example, when Tyreke Hill gets to the "fake money" portion of his contract, he'll be 32. Are NFL teams going to rely on a speedster WR like him to be elite at 32? I doubt it. I think his decline may be steeper than others.
Davante Adams will be 33 when his "fake money" kicks in.

So either these guys will legitimately be cut and go into the market, where MAYBE they make as much, but probably make less, or the team gets them to restructure for a large paycut or on an extension.

So basically, these deals have virtually no downside for the team. The players aren't maintaining any leverage because they're not likely to be the high end players they are now 3-4 years down the road.
It's actually pretty brilliant of the teams. They're basically playing off the "diva mentality" of these WRs' and just ballooning their AAV's and total money to make them think that they're the best. All the while, the team is basically drawing a line in the sand and saying "hey when you're X years old, I think you'll be in decline, and we're going to stop paying you when it's that time". Not a coincidence that the deals were structured in this way.

And remember, I'm only referencing the obvious cut points. They could be cut sooner than that. Hill could be gone by 2025, with almost $18M in cap savings and only $10M in dead money. If he suffers a major injury this year, he could even be gone by 2024.

Adams figures to have a longer career than Hill, but he's cuttable after just two years.

I mean they both got record deals for their positions (24m a year for Hill is easily a record) and they get to be a free agent when they want to be removing the standard leverage that a team has. Will they still be great in their early 30s? Hard to say as some players can keep it going and some cannot but they will have the power, if they can, to freely negotiate their next deal and even if they are not then they still are going to be able to ensure they hit free agency when they want to.

Though probably not in their thought process the fact that they have to be cut also makes them slightly more attractive as they will not count as free agents for the comp formula. I am struggling to think of a downside in putting in an impossible to pay year at the end of a contract that forces a cut.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean they both got record deals for their positions (24m a year for Hill is easily a record) and they get to be a free agent when they want to be removing the standard leverage that a team has. Will they still be great in their early 30s? Hard to say as some players can keep it going and some cannot but they will have the power, if they can, to freely negotiate their next deal and even if they are not then they still are going to be able to ensure they hit free agency when they want to.

Though probably not in their thought process the fact that they have to be cut also makes them slightly more attractive as they will not count as free agents for the comp formula. I am struggling to think of a downside in putting in an impossible to pay year at the end of a contract that forces a cut.
I mean... they don't really get to be FAs "when they want to be". I'm sure both would like to be free agents just about every year, so that they can get another max-guaranteed money deal every year. It's just no team really wants that, because there's no cap maneuverability with that.
Pretty much every player wants a new deal once the guaranteed money is gone, because for obvious reasons, they're on year-to-year deals.

I can tell you, for almost certainty, that this will be the last big contract Hill gets, unless he signs an extension with Miami in like the next year or two. Plenty of receivers can play at a high level well into their 30s, but he isn't going to be one of them. I think the false perception is that all of these elite WRs are going to perpetually keep getting large $ deals. That's historically never been the case, and I don't see why these guys are exceptions.

Would also point out that, if you take out the funny money, even the $24M for Hill isn't really a record. Hopkins extension he signed in 2020 with Arizona was at $27.25M AAV for two years.