• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Yea I don't see why folks are limiting Lamar to Roman as if he's the best and only coordinator for him. Lamar is talented with his arm as well and can absolutely be one of the top passers. His WRs just need to stop running into each other with these goofy ass passing concepts
In the beginning, roman was likely what was best but i dnt think so now… im all for giving him a chance though with a better cast and improved lamar but in the back of my head, i already know its gonna come down to lamar playing hero ball once we get in offs

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yea I don't see why folks are limiting Lamar to Roman as if he's the best and only coordinator for him. Lamar is talented with his arm as well and can absolutely be one of the top passers. His WRs just need to stop running into each other with these goofy ass passing concepts
I don't think its a question if him being the best for Lamar. But I don't think anybody thinks Lamar is a one-size-fits-all QB for an OC.

From a 30,000 foot view, my suspicion of the "we have to get Lamar a different OC" stance is that it's coming from a position where I don't think people care about winning football games. If that's not the objective, I think your objectives suck, and they should be ignored. I'm not saying everybody feels this way, but its pretty clear from that group of outraged people that the sole purpose of getting rid of Roman is to bring in a guy who will let Lamar throw it 40-45 times a game, almost purely to "prove" to fans of other teams that Lamar isn't just a RB.

I think deep down, regardless of whether people want to admit it or not, they just want to win the argument, more than actually winning games. I think there would be plenty of very happy people if Lamar threw for 5,000 yards and the Ravens went 10-7 and lost in the first round of the playoffs.

I want an OC who will maximize what Lamar does best. He's the franchise. He's the only part of the team you can't win without. Literally everybody else is interchangeable in some aspect or another. And what Lamar does best, pretty clearly, is being a dual-threat QB who teams can't pigeon hole into a running or throwing QB.

I couldn't give two shits less whether stud FA WRs want to play here, whether or not WRs can ever have 1,500 yard seasons in this offense, etc. Never cared about it once. I care about an offense that maximizes what Lamar's good at, and most importantly, an offense that will win us games.

And right now, I think its hard to argue Roman hasn't done a good job with either.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think its a question if him being the best for Lamar. But I don't think anybody thinks Lamar is a one-size-fits-all QB for an OC.

From a 30,000 foot view, my suspicion of the "we have to get Lamar a different OC" stance is that it's coming from a position where I don't think people care about winning football games. If that's not the objective, I think your objectives suck, and they should be ignored. I'm not saying everybody feels this way, but its pretty clear from that group of outraged people that the sole purpose of getting rid of Roman is to bring in a guy who will let Lamar throw it 40-45 times a game, almost purely to "prove" to fans of other teams that Lamar isn't just a RB.

I think deep down, regardless of whether people want to admit it or not, they just want to win the argument, more than actually winning games. I think there would be plenty of very happy people if Lamar threw for 5,000 yards and the Ravens went 10-7 and lost in the first round of the playoffs.

I want an OC who will maximize what Lamar does best. He's the franchise. He's the only part of the team you can't win without. Literally everybody else is interchangeable in some aspect or another. And what Lamar does best, pretty clearly, is being a dual-threat QB who teams can't pigeon hole into a running or throwing QB.

I couldn't give two shits less whether stud FA WRs want to play here, whether or not WRs can ever have 1,500 yard seasons in this offense, etc. Never cared about it once. I care about an offense that maximizes what Lamar's good at, and most importantly, an offense that will win us games.

And right now, I think its hard to argue Roman hasn't done a good job with either.

Lol you're so full of shit. Oh yeah, we fans who hate Roman want this team to lose!! That's why we're calling for him to be fired!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yep. Like a pimple on the dimple of an ant's left bum.
lmao

Dan Snyder recommended him to the NFL Network back when he was the Skins Insider, just to get him out of his hair. He was with the NFL Network for one season before his move to CBS. Hopefully we won't see anymore of ... fake news.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lol you're so full of shit. Oh yeah, we fans who hate Roman want this team to lose!! That's why we're calling for him to be fired!
I mean you can play around on social media all day long and figure out what's what. The only thing people care about on social media is defending Lamar as a passer. It is priority 1, 2, and 3. I can't say the media is any different. And priority 4 is figuring out how to get an elite WR to sign here.

The people who want to see Lamar's skill sets maximized and see this team winning games is a very small minority in my eyes.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean you can play around on social media all day long and figure out what's what. The only thing people care about on social media is defending Lamar as a passer. It is priority 1, 2, and 3. I can't say the media is any different. And priority 4 is figuring out how to get an elite WR to sign here.

The people who want to see Lamar's skill sets maximized and see this team winning games is a very small minority in my eyes.

Now that’s true. But don’t lump posters like myself in with that. I just don’t see the scheme having sustainable success and having success against truly elite teams in the playoffs

redrum52

Hall of Famer

Responding to both we had fans who only cared about Flacco. They tried to appear like Ravens fans but became fans of other teams the moment he left so what @rmcjacket23 said isn't too far off.

My problem isn't about Lamar passing a bunch of times. I want the most effective version of Lamar and the offense and just don't see it happening under Roman. I'm also not a fan of the qb being the reason our running game is efficient.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Responding to both we had fans who only cared about Flacco. They tried to appear like Ravens fans but became fans of other teams the moment he left so what @rmcjacket23 said isn't too far off.

My problem isn't about Lamar passing a bunch of times. I want the most effective version of Lamar and the offense and just don't see it happening under Roman. I'm also not a fan of the qb being the reason our running game is efficient.

Bingo right on with that second part.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

And he was only the reason our running game was efficient in 2021, when we had no running game.

I'm one of the outlier people that thinks if the max we get out of Lamar is 8-10 years, that's completely fine. I don't have this ambition of a mobile QB playing 15-20 years with the same team.

Got 11 years out of Flacco. Seemed like an eternity. If we get similar out of Lamar, I'll be completely happy. If less, I'm fine with that also.

Nobody has yet to convince me that Lamar running it 8-10 times/game, whether designed or improvised, isn't good for the team. Every indicator would tell you it is. Sustainable when he's 35? No, but I don't care about 35 year old Lamar. I'm not convinced he'll be in the league then.

I think the overwhelming majority of fanbase (and people can justify where they fit on the spectrum any way you want) secretly want Lamar to be Mahomes. Or Allen. Or Rodgers. They want a highly prolific, elite passer, who can threaten teams with his arm, and they want the running ability to be mostly a bonus.

I don't see that from Lamar in this lifetime. A bad passer? No he's not. An above average passer? Yes, that's who he is. And he's an elite runner. I'll never understand why that's not enough, or why people care about how many yards a receiver gets.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
And he was only the reason our running game was efficient in 2021, when we had no running game.

I'm one of the outlier people that thinks if the max we get out of Lamar is 8-10 years, that's completely fine. I don't have this ambition of a mobile QB playing 15-20 years with the same team.

Got 11 years out of Flacco. Seemed like an eternity. If we get similar out of Lamar, I'll be completely happy. If less, I'm fine with that also.

Nobody has yet to convince me that Lamar running it 8-10 times/game, whether designed or improvised, isn't good for the team. Every indicator would tell you it is. Sustainable when he's 35? No, but I don't care about 35 year old Lamar. I'm not convinced he'll be in the league then.

I think the overwhelming majority of fanbase (and people can justify where they fit on the spectrum any way you want) secretly want Lamar to be Mahomes. Or Allen. Or Rodgers. They want a highly prolific, elite passer, who can threaten teams with his arm, and they want the running ability to be mostly a bonus.

I don't see that from Lamar in this lifetime. A bad passer? No he's not. An above average passer? Yes, that's who he is. And he's an elite runner. I'll never understand why that's not enough, or why people care about how many yards a receiver gets.

Yeah, I don't expect some Brady like career length from Lamar. Don't expect Mahomes numbers either. I just want a consistent run game that doesn't have him being the main threat. It's not necessarily the number of touches. It's the productivity I'd like to see without the window dressing and some consistency from the passing game.

I also just flat out don't like Greg Romans style of offense. Maybe I'm ignorant, but fuck that guy. I feel like he's stunting the teams growth which is my biggest problem. Think we've seen the best of what we'll get from him and won't let our pieces reach their potential.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Exactly. I give prime Lamar another 3-4 years, I’ll run him for all of them. It is what makes him potentially the most dominant team-carrying force in the league, it’d be stupid to waste such talent.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Has anyone here ever seen mad Mel keiper on pat mcafees show? Holy fucking shit it’s glorious. I’ve been on a 2 and a half hour commute for the past month so my YouTube hole has gotten very diverse, ended up listening to the entire 2022 draft show over the past 2 days because literally every time mad Mel spoke he was fucking hysterical.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Has anyone here ever seen mad Mel keiper on pat mcafees show? Holy fucking shit it’s glorious. I’ve been on a 2 and a half hour commute for the past month so my YouTube hole has gotten very diverse, ended up listening to the entire 2022 draft show over the past 2 days because literally every time mad Mel spoke he was fucking hysterical.

PMS is hilarious. Should check out the draft special clip where he does Kiper Glazer and a couple others. Another random clip I'd recommend is when they're talking about some Italian restaurant. The whole thing is gold but a particular part always gets me slumped over laughing.

His Urban Meyer takes are great too. And look for the Zion clips too.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
PMS is hilarious. Should check out the draft special clip where he does Kiper Glazer and a couple others. Another random clip I'd recommend is when they're talking about some Italian restaurant. The whole thing is gold but a particular part always gets me slumped over laughing.

His Urban Meyer takes are great too. And look for the Zion clips too.
When they did Lou holtz talking about dogs and mad Mel was like “what the fuck are you talking about you sack of shit” I just about pissed myself. But every time he speaks he’s going fucking nuts it’s glorious

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Taylor Lewan arguing with a Steelers fan that Myles > TJ Watt. Around the 4 minute mark, he calls out PFF for accepting money to boost scores.