• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Yeah lol, we had 2 fireable coordinators, one was a fan favorite and the other was the right choice, and harbaugh made that choice, and it took stones to do so, and we were never gonna fire both in one offseason.

I have my issues with Roman, but there’s a solid chance that Roman is the absolute best coordinator for Lamar out there, and it may need fine tuning over the years. There’s maybe 1 or 2 coaching trees that may be better or as effective, but who knows.
I agree with you on that.. probably nobody other than kyle couldve gotten what roman was gotten out of lamar so far

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
it's an argument that does not stand up to any sort of interrogation lol
Do you think John is willing to be told by a player that the OC is not performing so he needs to get rid of him? He'll actually relent? I'm not so sure that is how he's wired. However, if that person is Lamar Jackson, I don't know if his ego gets in the way. It was just a thought in any case.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh cuz I saw this post right after I saw Ingravens notification. I don’t like ingravens content but he’s been a very good way to be notified of ravens moves by turning on notifications for his uploads. He posts quick
I'm beginning to dig 410 sports talk lately. I was into Ingraven for a long time, but like you, I'm not a fan of his content or commentary. Top Billin' is an awesome and entertaining show when he covers the Ravens.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Do you think John is willing to be told by a player that the OC is not performing so he needs to get rid of him? He'll actually relent? I'm not so sure that is how he's wired. However, if that person is Lamar Jackson, I don't know if his ego gets in the way. It was just a thought in any case.
Why not? He finally sacked Cam Cameron when Flacco got fed up with that bullshit

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Do you think it was Flacco that instigated that firing? Flacco wouldn't go to the toilet if he absolutely didn't have to dude. I doubt he initiated the firing.
I'm pretty sure he did. He had frequent sideline arguments with Cameron - even if he didn't asked verbatim, it was clear to everybody. It should have happened much earlier than it did, too.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
From the franchise QB? Yes. From probably any other player? No.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is hilarious. The evidence keeps piling up. Roman’s a fucking bum and should’ve been gone with Wink but whatever. Probably his last season here, or hopefully

Stubbornness mixed with arrogance and sprinkle in a little bit of loyalty.

Instead of seeing the ceiling and limitations that GRo’s offense put on Lamar and this team, we rather try and attempt to recreate the 2019 magic. We pretty much excused last year. If we fail this year, he gone.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

Instead of seeing the ceiling and limitations that GRo’s offense put on Lamar and this team, we rather try and attempt to recreate the 2019 magic. We pretty much excused last year. If we fail this year, he gone.
This is the way I see it.

Lamar definitely likes Roman to some extent.
Lamar knows what he can do with a strong OL and run game a la 2019.
Lamar also knows what happens with a poor OL a la 2020 and 2021.
2021 was a throw out year based on league historically bad injuries.

So with the OL and running games returning to closer to 2019, the defense making many improvements towards 2019 and before as well, Lamar should be well positioned to succeed. Additionally Lamar is a more mature QB in 2022 compared to 2019.

He's set up to succeed in 2022. If he does and we start steam rolling people again, then we know our issues over the last 2 years have been poor roster construction for a Lamar Jackson led team + injuries.

If he's set up to succeed meaning we're back in the style of 2019 and healthy and we totally flop, it means that system has totally become stale and it's time to move on.

Either way it's a good result. We were smart for holding on to Roman because we got the team in order for him or we learn in just 1 years time that we need to completely overhaul the offense.

You would have hoped we could have done that a year but neither the roster nor the injuries allowed us to make a well informed decision there.

Last edited:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Well duh. We basically went 8-3 with Lamar, a banged up Oline, and no RBs. I think every coach in the league would excuse it.

To me, its pretty simple... they're not firing Roman because, when the pieces are available, the offense is running exactly how Roman and probably even John want it to. We run all over teams, we can throw it if we need to, we dominate TOP, and we play to the weaknesses of most teams, because very few NFL teams are designed defensively to stop us. And, it's largely worked, considering post-rookie season, the Ravens are 32-13 with the Roman/Lamar tandem.

Basically, they haven't been given a good enough reason to think its broke yet. And no, two playoff losses, including one that was mostly just a colossal failure of execution by the players, isn't a good enough reason.

Am with everybody else in that, if we are are reasonably healthy this year, and things don't go well on offense, he's probably justifiable out. Because there's nobody left to blame except Roman and Lamar.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

I like Harbs but I feel like loyalty to his coordinators is his biggest flaw. I just don't think our offense and Lamar can evolve under Roman. Same shit happened in SF. Niner fans around here hated Roman too for the same reasons. Fuck "continuity". I want Lamar to grow and be best version of himself. That's not gonna be with Roman

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I like Harbs but I feel like loyalty to his coordinators is his biggest flaw. I just don't think our offense and Lamar can evolve under Roman. Same shit happened in SF. Niner fans around here hated Roman too for the same reasons. Fuck "continuity". I want Lamar to grow and be best version of himself. That's not gonna be with Roman
I agree but the good thing about lamar is that he is developing and getting better.. hopefully he outgrows the system and we have no choice but to get rid of roman. I mean all the running from lamar will eventually have to stop….: and thats when roman will be out

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I agree but the good thing about lamar is that he is developing and getting better.. hopefully he outgrows the system and we have no choice but to get rid of roman. I mean all the running from lamar will eventually have to stop….: and thats when roman will be out
Yea I don't see why folks are limiting Lamar to Roman as if he's the best and only coordinator for him. Lamar is talented with his arm as well and can absolutely be one of the top passers. His WRs just need to stop running into each other with these goofy ass passing concepts