• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Tank

Hall of Famer
You guys don't know what danger is until you drive around South Florida. Specifically Miami-Dade County (Miami)

Pure insanity
At least the roads are flat and straight. Add in curves and hills with the crack, booze and oxy and stupidity and you have DMV traffic patterns. Driving to work in the morning is often like being on a NASCAR track with people that can’t drive. lol

Last edited:

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
I did not realize how much I liked this brand until I started working for them.
I bought an M3 new in 2002. I've taken it to some track days at Summit Point and across the country several times. (In California now.) Driven it the entire east coast, from Newfoundland to Florida as well. Still have it and, somehow, only 60k miles on it. Good car.
The dealer here refuses to service it because it's too old, which is mind boggling. Not that dealers are the best for service, but I'd at least expect them to know what they're doing. Maybe.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I bought an M3 new in 2002. I've taken it to some track days at Summit Point and across the country several times. (In California now.) Driven it the entire east coast, from Newfoundland to Florida as well. Still have it and, somehow, only 60k miles on it. Good car.
The dealer here refuses to service it because it's too old, which is mind boggling. Not that dealers are the best for service, but I'd at least expect them to know what they're doing. Maybe.

I am curious as to why they would not want to work on it

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
BMW dealer?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
that's ridiculous that they won't service it.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Totally agree. I have a friend who lives in VA who wants to sell his home only because he feels the home prices are going to plummet. He then is going to rent and wait for prices to come down and mortgage rates to go back down before buying again. This friend has 8 years to go before he pays off his mortgage, yet he is ok paying a rent that is also increasing and that's basically throwing money away.

I've tried to tell him that this is much different than 2007-08. In 2007, the housing market started to plummet. A combination of rising home prices, loose lending practices, and an increase in subprime mortgages pushed up real estate prices to unsustainable levels. Foreclosures and defaults crashed the housing market, wiping out financial securities backing up subprime mortgages. This isn't going to happen now. Increases will most likely flatten out to the norm and worst case home prices drop a little.
Sell to Rent to then Buy isn't the worst, but the Rental price is the key.

I'd love to sell and move into something bigger... I just can't justify the interest rate hikes. I refinanced to a 20 year, 2.25% in the middle of Covid. I'll pay it off before 50. A 20 year today you probably can't find for less than like 4.5%. I'm not willing to pay double the interest rate for a slightly larger house.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Aren't you a finance guy of some sorts? Bank a little first jeez.

Yeah I see a whole shitload of those clapboard 600,000 high dollar homes just invading and taking over the cornfields of Delaware. With the intersets rates now on housing I can see these standing empty for quite some time. There's no gray area they're either building fancy high dollar homes and giving them fancy names like Whispering Valley or Buck Run Estates or building section 8. Whatever happened to low style ranchers? Idk just peeving but I hate those gaudy lookalike houses
I'd imagine they'll get bought for cash by investors, who will then rent them. In areas like Delaware, that's pretty much the norm.

Only good thing about Delaware (my Dad retired there like 3-4 years ago) is, for that price, you can typically get land. At least an acre or two, if not more. Not ideal for a retiree, but like if I were 45 with close to grown up kids, and I could work remote for another 10-15 years, I'd buy a $500K home in DE with a couple acres in a heartbeat. Much cheaper to live there.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I'd imagine they'll get bought for cash by investors, who will then rent them. In areas like Delaware, that's pretty much the norm.

Only good thing about Delaware (my Dad retired there like 3-4 years ago) is, for that price, you can typically get land. At least an acre or two, if not more. Not ideal for a retiree, but like if I were 45 with close to grown up kids, and I could work remote for another 10-15 years, I'd buy a $500K home in DE with a couple acres in a heartbeat. Much cheaper to live there.
Has your dad been to Brandon Falls yet?

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
btw, being a police officer I have a question for you. When someone is speeding, how far above the speed limit would you pull them over. I'm curious what your answer is for a highway.
I will be honest with you, I have never given a speeding ticket in my entire career. I have never even taken Radar Training, as I was always able to make an excuse to get out of going. We have way to many calls to set up on speeders, and there is way to much drug activity to deal with traffic.

Another reason, I don’t mess with speeding is because I would feel like an asshole nabbing people for something I tend to do pretty often.

To answer your question, I try to keep it at 9 miles over the limit as a maximin. Seems to work for the most part.

I will be honest with you, I have never given a speeding ticket in my entire career. I have never even taken Radar Training, as I was always able to make an excuse to get out of going. We have way to many calls to set up on speeders, and there is way to much drug activity to deal with traffic.

Another reason, I don’t mess with speeding is because I would feel like an asshole nabbing people for something I tend to do pretty often.

To answer your question, I try to keep it at 9 miles over the limit as a maximin. Seems to work for the most part.
I'm currently reading Homicide: A year on the killing streets. Fascinating book!

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

JO_75

Hall of Famer
That moment when you realize this is the last week without Football....

ravens-ray.gif