• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I have some other teams jerseys but they are skins jerseys and I have over 30 years of history with that team. They are ready for the bonfire though. Cooley, Art Monk and Kerrigan were class acts though. Now the only jersey I would consider still wearing is my Kenny Stabler jersey. Damn shame he had to pass away to get into the HOF.
I forgot about chris cooley… dam im old af

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Officially completed my Masters. MS in Supply Chain Management from UMD. Should not have waited 12 years inbetween under grad and now but fuck it I’m done. Schools out forever

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Officially completed my Masters. MS in Supply Chain Management from UMD. Should not have waited 12 years inbetween under grad and now but fuck it I’m done. Schools out forever
Congrats bro

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Here's a thought that I'm curious about-

How do you all feel about notable former Ravens?

I ask because Patriots fans are the most rabid and ardent defenders of TB Tom Brady; even moreso than Bucs fans.

Are there any players you'd go to war for no matter where they went?

For me, I'm of the mindset that I'm a Ravens fan and if you're not on the Ravens, I won't root for you. If you do well, great. If you do poorly, that's unfortunate.

When Joe left, I was insanely grateful for the Super Bowl, but he was no longer a Raven. I didn't care how he did. Same for Suggs, Reed, Torrey, etc. and many other players I absolutely loved when they were Ravens.
Same and, depending on the circumstances of the divorce, I sometimes wish they absolutely suck in a new team.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This will surely ruffle feathers from certain members, but I don't think Joe was worth building around the way Lamar is.

With Joe, no matter who the Ravens rotated, he more or less produced the same and gave the same results week in and week out. He'd have the rare January Joe performance in the regular season, but he was mostly just good, but not transcendent.

Now Lamar- I truly do think he's worth building around. I think he's shown to be a good passer, and has made significant strides, and is obviously an elite runner. Lamar has already shown he can produce incredible results with a little build around (2019).

I'd like to see the Ravens trim the defensive fat and do more for Lamar if the defense is gonna keep being ass (and to be clear, they've been downright terrible for 2021 to now.)
Problem is... the better QB, the less need for "elite" weapons. Joe needed weapons because Joe wasn't as good of a QB as Lamar.
That's why you won't see me out here crying about how Lamar never has a #1 receiver or whatever. Nobody has ever come up with a compelling argument that adding a #1 WR to any of our previous teams meant we would have won the SB. I don't think anybody has come close to that argument in fact.

And you see this in other franchises. The Packers don't invest in high end weapons for Rodgers. They drafted Adams in the second round, paid him, and then rotated in a bunch of guys, none of which were spectacular. That's been their strategy for the last 5+ years.
The Chiefs don't invest in high end weapons for Mahomes. They draft Hill, pay him and Kelce (comparable to what the Ravens have done), and then rotate in a bunch of guys that aren't special. And now Hill's not there.

I never really understood this mentality that like the elite QB needs elite weapons. I don't see a correlation to that with SB wins at all. I see a correlation to that with tremendous individual production, MVP awards, and wonderful fantasy stats, but I don't see that translating into Lombardi's.

So I guess it just comes down to what individual fans value.

Plus, most of what we're talking about is in the past. Lamar's going to cost $100M over the next two years, which means regardless of cap increases in the short term, there ain't much affordability to help him in terms of "proven players". Enhancements to the offense will mostly, if not entirely, come from the draft. And there's a contingent of folks here and everywhere else who seem to have a fear of draft picks for some reason.

My guess... a lot of recency bias towards the reigning SB champs, who shuffle through a lot of veterans. People thinking that's the new norm. Which, of course, it's not.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
This will surely ruffle feathers from certain members, but I don't think Joe was worth building around the way Lamar is.

With Joe, no matter who the Ravens rotated, he more or less produced the same and gave the same results week in and week out. He'd have the rare January Joe performance in the regular season, but he was mostly just good, but not transcendent.

Now Lamar- I truly do think he's worth building around. I think he's shown to be a good passer, and has made significant strides, and is obviously an elite runner. Lamar has already shown he can produce incredible results with a little build around (2019).

I'd like to see the Ravens trim the defensive fat and do more for Lamar if the defense is gonna keep being ass (and to be clear, they've been downright terrible for 2021 to now.)
You gotta let the Flacco fixation go man. Lamar is a better QB and if a few people argue otherwise , that’s their problem. Joe was given some good players via free agency and with Lamar the Ravens have invested heavily in the draft at offense in a way we’ve never seen before. I would say the organization has tried to set both guys up for success as best they could with different approaches.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
You gotta let the Flacco fixation go man. Lamar is a better QB and if a few people argue otherwise , that’s their problem. Joe was given some good players via free agency and with Lamar the Ravens have invested heavily in the draft at offense in a way we’ve never seen before. I would say the organization has tried to set both guys up for success as best they could with different approaches.
I don't have a Flacco fixation- I just don't think he was the savior and end all be all that some make him out to be.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Problem is... the better QB, the less need for "elite" weapons. Joe needed weapons because Joe wasn't as good of a QB as Lamar.
That's why you won't see me out here crying about how Lamar never has a #1 receiver or whatever. Nobody has ever come up with a compelling argument that adding a #1 WR to any of our previous teams meant we would have won the SB. I don't think anybody has come close to that argument in fact.

And you see this in other franchises. The Packers don't invest in high end weapons for Rodgers. They drafted Adams in the second round, paid him, and then rotated in a bunch of guys, none of which were spectacular. That's been their strategy for the last 5+ years.
The Chiefs don't invest in high end weapons for Mahomes. They draft Hill, pay him and Kelce (comparable to what the Ravens have done), and then rotate in a bunch of guys that aren't special. And now Hill's not there.

I never really understood this mentality that like the elite QB needs elite weapons. I don't see a correlation to that with SB wins at all. I see a correlation to that with tremendous individual production, MVP awards, and wonderful fantasy stats, but I don't see that translating into Lombardi's.

Plus, most of what we're talking about is in the past. Lamar's going to cost $100M over the next two years, which means regardless of cap increases in the short term, there ain't much affordability to help him in terms of "proven players". Enhancements to the offense will mostly, if not entirely, come from the draft. And there's a contingent of folks here and everywhere else who seem to have a fear of draft picks for some reason.

My guess... a lot of recency bias towards the reigning SB champs, who shuffle through a lot of veterans. People thinking that's the new norm. Which, of course, it's not.
I don't think Lamar needs prime Randy Moss and prime Jerry Rice as his receivers, but there is absolutely merit to not putting out the scraps of the league and drafting talented receivers high.

Basically, I think the route the Ravens have attempted to take so far is where I'd want to be, had it actually worked out.

That is to say- the Ravens drafted Hollywood, drafted Bateman, apparently wanted Olave or Wilson.

I don't see the need to sign the hottest toy in free agency, necessarily, but I am in favor or rotating in quality draft picks or free agents when they make sense.

I look at the 2019 Patriots as an example. Brady had a fine statistical season, but people who watched him thought he was finally falling off the proverbial cliff. The Patriots clearly believed he could make gold from garbage and it clearly hurt. Suddenly, he goes to the Bucs and looks like an MVP contender, and SB contender, again.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't have a Flacco fixation- I just don't think he was the savior and end all be all that some make him out to be.
1. I've never heard the words Flacco and savior in the save breath.
2. When you look at our putrid QB history before 08, one might be forgiven for overreacting to some stability that he provided.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think Lamar needs prime Randy Moss and prime Jerry Rice as his receivers, but there is absolutely merit to not putting out the scraps of the league and drafting talented receivers high.

Basically, I think the route the Ravens have attempted to take so far is where I'd want to be, had it actually worked out.

That is to say- the Ravens drafted Hollywood, drafted Bateman, apparently wanted Olave or Wilson.

I don't see the need to sign the hottest toy in free agency, necessarily, but I am in favor or rotating in quality draft picks or free agents when they make sense.

I look at the 2019 Patriots as an example. Brady had a fine statistical season, but people who watched him thought he was finally falling off the proverbial cliff. The Patriots clearly believed he could make gold from garbage and it clearly hurt. Suddenly, he goes to the Bucs and looks like an MVP contender, and SB contender, again.
I agree. I think the Ravens approach to giving Lamar weapons (save for maybe the Oline, but some of that is luck) has been more than adequate. I'd have probably liked to seen us develop some of these mid-round WRs more, since we know Boykin was a bust and doesn't appear if Proche or Wallace are likely to amount to much, but he's had two first round WRs, both of which have or had played well, and an All-World TE at his disposable for most of his tenure. I don't think that's insufficient. Could it be better? Sure, but I don't really care if we have the #1 offense in the league or not, because it doesn't correlate to Lombardi's.

I think they could have done more on the Oline, but much of that pretty much centers around Stanley and the injury you can't expect. Small sample, but through 2 weeks, very happy with what I see there.

Holistically, it doesn't pass much logic test to continue to invest in the side of the ball that is clearly performing better than the other. And the offense has clearly outperformed the defense for the better part of 2+ years now. By a pretty wide margin. Sure, we struggle to run the ball some years, some years we don't have nearly as much dependent pass catchers as we'd like, maybe we need better pass protection, etc. Yet apparently most of those things can be overcome, given the regular season record and the overall output of the offense. I remember a time not too long ago where if we had an offense that couldn't run the ball and couldn't pass protect, we were literally like a bottom 10 offense in the league in every possible metric. Yet, we're nowhere close to that.

What can't be overcome, clearly, is a bad pass defense, a bad pass rush, and a defense that has routinely given up chunk plays the last basically 1.5 seasons. That's where I'm investing my time, effort, financial and maybe even draft resources. I'm fixing that before I fix anything else. Don't even need a great defense. Just need an average one. We don't have that at the moment, and we didn't have it last year. Even with a lot of the starters out there, we still didn't have it.

These clowns out here in fantasy world saying "man we needed Diggs" or "man we need more weapons for Lamar"... to do what? Lose 48-45 in a shootout to a good team? You want the 2nd best offense in the league instead of the 5th best offense in the league?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think the commonality though is that all those guys have at least that 1 "guy" they can depend on who anchors the receiving group of weapons - you dont have to have an elite receiving group but you cant just put scrubs out there and expect miracles

but lamar's got Andrews, he's got Bateman and a few other guys who can be bit-part role players - it would be awesome if we had another guy who can punish teams for keying too much on those other 2, and hopefully that's Duvernay or maybe Likely (if he can hold onto the ball)