• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
But what's the shift in power dynamic though? It'll never go beyond the QB position, because no team values any other position as close.
QBs have had the leverage for a long time. That's why their growth rate in compensation is so much higher than practically any other position, and why even mid-tier QBs get paid more than elite players at every other position.

The only power dynamic shift will be towards guaranteed contracts, and IF that happens, Owners will respond with shorter deals. You won't see the 6,7,8 year extensions anymore. Because the first owner that does it, and it backfires on him, will scare off every single other Owner.

Plus, how many QBs are really going to be "worth" fully guaranteed deals to their employers? Like Jerry Jones is never giving a 5 year, fully guaranteed deal, to Dak Prescott. Not under any scenario. Not based on what he's shown on the field. The list of QBs who would have actually earned fully guaranteed deals is very, very, very small. Owners aren't going to start handing them out like candy. The players will never have that kind of power.

I'd be careful with saying "never". 20 years ago, did anyone ever see someone getting a $500 million/10 year deal??

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Been saying this from last year. He's a plodder. Will have good stats because he'll get 400+ touches. A blind monkey can have good stats on 400+ touches. Not an efficient runner, and not explosive. 3 yards and a cloud of dust.
That was a really bad pick for them

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
They haven't really played anyone yet. Jets beat them. They beat the Panthers by 2 points at the very end of the game, and the Steelers suck.
agree with this. It's much too early to say if Cleveland is going to be a problem, but we certainly shouldn't underestimate them or anyone for that matter @D1City55

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
agree with this. It's much too early to say if Cleveland is going to be a problem, but we certainly shouldn't underestimate them or anyone for that matter @D1City55

I mean I guess we haven't looked the best either really. Can't overlook anyone with how this defense has played, and how dismal the run game is for a running team.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Man I hate to say it but Cleveland is going to be a problem for us.
They've got some weapons for sure. Its to early, but I think the AFC North, across the board, is not very good this year. Wouldn't surprise me if we sent one team to the playoffs this year with a record of 10-7 or 11-6 while the rest hoovered around .500

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd be careful with saying "never". 20 years ago, did anyone ever see someone getting a $500 million/10 year deal??
I mean, if you projected the growth of the business you did. Guaranteed contracts doesn't have anything to do with the growth of the business. It has to do with the players union growing a set of balls and risking work stoppage to get it.

And I don't think that will happen in the next 20 years.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Anybody else think the whole JPP thing could become a fiasco if another team comes calling if they sustain an injury Sunday? He's not officially signing until Monday. Why?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Anybody else think the whole JPP thing could become a fiasco if another team comes calling if they sustain an injury Sunday? He's not officially signing until Monday. Why?
Seriously. I don't get it.

Simba

Staff Member
He's had no other reported interest for an entire offseason. The Ravens are saving money by not paying him for a week he couldn't play anyways. Nothing to be concerned about.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's had no other reported interest for an entire offseason. The Ravens are saving money by not paying him for a week he couldn't play anyways. Nothing to be concerned about.

What if someone has another injury or two at OLB/DE, and offers him more money up front than us?

Simba

Staff Member
What if someone has another injury or two at OLB/DE, and offers him more money up front than us?
Then shit happens. Clearly they aren't that enamored by him if they're willing to risk it, but I also don't think it's all that risky.

The guy is signing in after week 3 for a reason though. If he was that sought after, he'd have been on the workout and physical circuit for a few weeks now and he's only been one place - here.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Then shit happens. Clearly they aren't that enamored by him if they're willing to risk it, but I also don't think it's all that risky.

The guy is signing in after week 3 for a reason though. If he was that sought after, he'd have been on the workout and physical circuit for a few weeks now and he's only been one place - here.
agree and the incentives are probably more than what another team would offer him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

also apparently has been talking with the ravens constantly since their first meeting