• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

I've only been a Raven fan since 2014 and wanted to ask everyone, especially the ones who have been following the Ravens longer than i have.

What do you believe are the greatest wins and worst losses and sometimes those great wins may not be the Super Bowl. Kind of like those great NFC Championship battles from decades ago when the NFC was the powerhouse. The best games were the championship game.

I think the worst loss is the 2011 season Championship game when we lost to the Patriots. If we beat the Patriots we most likely beat the Giants in the Super Bowl. Damn Cundiff and Evans! The 2014 season loss to the Patriots was my 2nd worst loss as that was my first season rooting for the Ravens.

Greatest wins, I'll leave that to you guys.

I’ve been a fan since 2002 but I was 10 at that point lol

That 2006 team losing in the play offs to the Colts hurt because they were sooo good. I thought we were going to win it all that year.

And then 2011…. I remember the moments of the dropped pass and then missed field goal like it was yesterday. I remember my mom clowning tf out of me while I sat there in disbelief lol

But the 2012 run made up for 2011. The mile high miracle is number one on my list of best wins right besides beating the 49ers in the Super bowl. (Being from Cali I loved shutting up the 49er fans lol) but I still remember Denver having their billboards about ending our season and that made that win a little more enjoyable lol

I'm glad many of you were not fans when we lost to the 0-13 dolphins in 2007. That might be our worst loss. For all his greatness Ed Reed jumped the wrong route and Greg fucking Camarillo took it to the house
Lol I've mentioned this one several times because I went to this game. The embarrassment leaving the stadium still hurts to this day.

I don't remember the year but the win against Dallas in their stadium where we broke out long runs from McClain and McGahee they had 240+ yards rushing in December... for some reason that game is memorable for me.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I've only been a Raven fan since 2014 and wanted to ask everyone, especially the ones who have been following the Ravens longer than i have.

What do you believe are the greatest wins and worst losses and sometimes those great wins may not be the Super Bowl. Kind of like those great NFC Championship battles from decades ago when the NFC was the powerhouse. The best games were the championship game.

I think the worst loss is the 2011 season Championship game when we lost to the Patriots. If we beat the Patriots we most likely beat the Giants in the Super Bowl. Damn Cundiff and Evans! The 2014 season loss to the Patriots was my 2nd worst loss as that was my first season rooting for the Ravens.

Been riding the Ravens train since the beginning(actually have a Baltimore Browns t shirt!) and have some great memories, and some not so great.

I think anyone would have to say the 2011 give away to the pats was the worst loss in team history, but I left The Bank a few times over the years with bad Bengals headaches, Carson Palmer always seemed to pull something out to ruin the day.

I went to a lot of the home games the 2000 season and was there for the WC win over Denver. The most special for me that year though was the game against Jacksonville, my 10 year old son was with me. It looked like the Jags we’re going to smoke us but Tony Banks led a furious comeback to take the lead with a couple of minutes left, only to have Brunell complete a fluke tipped pass to Jimmy Smith for what looked like the winning TD. Everybody started filing out of the stadium like ants , dejected and pissed. My son looked up at me and said “Dad aren’t we going to leave? I said to him no, there was still time left and a chance we could score. Unbelievably, Tony drove us the length of the field and hit Shannon Sharpe for the winning TD with seconds left on the clock. After that win everybody thought we had found our new QB in Banks.

Last edited:

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Man I don't remember which year, but we lost a game to Seattle that we really shouldn't have. Then there's the infamous London Jaguars loss.
Seahawks loss was 2011 IIRC, but I completely missed it since I was out of town. The Jags loss, I was on a plane so I never had a chance to watch it. So glad I didn't.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I think this topic has been brought up on this forum recently, but Dan Orlovsky was saying that one of the main reasons behind the scoring going down was more and more usage of Cover 2.

This would be the perfect time for our running game to continue to get better. I'm hopeful that our offense's performance on Sunday was more of an outlier, but with the Bengals defense being solid and Bateman potentially missing this next game, I fear this might be a trend. Giants defense is pretty solid too.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
The Eagles are getting too much praise. I would kill to have their schedule this season. The only quality team they play is GB. That team won’t beat the Chiefs or Bills. That 48-10 loss to Dolphins in the preseason, along with their opponents so far, should have people pumping their brakes.
This what I've been saying. They have a stacked roster in a weak NFC with a schedule softer than Drake's lyrics.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think this topic has been brought up on this forum recently, but Dan Orlovsky was saying that one of the main reasons behind the scoring going down was more and more usage of Cover 2.

This would be the perfect time for our running game to continue to get better. I'm hopeful that our offense's performance on Sunday was more of an outlier, but with the Bengals defense being solid and Bateman potentially missing this next game, I fear this might be a trend. Giants defense is pretty solid too.

Orlovsky is 100% right about that trend around the league
but also worth pointing out that teams around the league havent been playing as much cover 2 against the ravens as they do against other teams

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I'm glad many of you were not fans when we lost to the 0-13 dolphins in 2007. That might be our worst loss. For all his greatness Ed Reed jumped the wrong route and Greg fucking Camarillo took it to the house
That loss stung only because they were winless. That team was a mash unit. The MNF game in Jax or the London Jags game are a lot more embarrassing. The Bengals 4th and 12 comes to mind as well.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That loss stung only because they were winless. That team was a mash unit. The MNF game in Jax or the London Jags game are a lot more embarrassing. The Bengals 4th and 12 comes to mind as well.
we might as well have taken a cruise to London and fuck 4th and 12

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
And because we were supposed to run it back after being the one seed in 06, but we were TERRIBLE in 07. Dolphins loss was the final kick in the pants

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

For me, by far, the greatest game was the Mile High Miracle game. I was in my favortie bar which was actually an Eagles bar. I really was the only Ravens fan there and a blow hard wearing a Broncos jersey came in and saw me in my Ravens jersey and he immediately started fucking with me and I really didn’t have confidence in us winning because of the fact Manning always owned us So I kept quiet until he said something nasty to my wife and that Was when I jumped his shit! Winning that game was so freaking great, I stood by the exit when he left and said where is your big mouth now? He just kept quiet and walked out.

I suffered a lot of heartbreaking losses, but I do remember taking that Cundiff game really hard.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Not to recent bias, but the most painful game for me pre week 12 ish would be 2020 vs the Titans. No doubt the 19 playoff run vs them hurt but also that season felt like house money and was full of optimism for the future. Seeing the Titans dance on our logo then losing to them in overtime after blowing a lead killed me, espically Derrick Henry.

With that, the 2020 playoff win was one of the actual happiest moments of my life.

Another painful lost that comes to mind for me is the 2017 week 17. That years team was one of my favorites ever. They were mid but sometimes could just be insane cracked and flacco was in his best form in years and we were all the dark house coming into the playoffs. I actually believed we could have knocked off a top team or two which is all I wanted

2011 week 1 was my other favorite win. Maybe the most dominating full game I’ve ever seen the ravens play to this day. It felt like we turned the corner for our 2 year division dynasty at that moment lol

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Lol I've mentioned this one several times because I went to this game. The embarrassment leaving the stadium still hurts to this day.

I don't remember the year but the win against Dallas in their stadium where we broke out long runs from McClain and McGahee they had 240+ yards rushing in December... for some reason that game is memorable for me.
I love that Dallas game too. That was Joe Flacco's first year and I don't think anyone really had us going into the Playoffs much less to the AFC Championship. That Dallas game was so fun to watch.