• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RiderJake

Practice Squad
For me, by far, the greatest game was the Mile High Miracle game. I was in my favortie bar which was actually an Eagles bar. I really was the only Ravens fan there and a blow hard wearing a Broncos jersey came in and saw me in my Ravens jersey and he immediately started fucking with me and I really didn’t have confidence in us winning because of the fact Manning always owned us So I kept quiet until he said something nasty to my wife and that Was when I jumped his shit! Winning that game was so freaking great, I stood by the exit when he left and said where is your big mouth now? He just kept quiet and walked out.

I suffered a lot of heartbreaking losses, but I do remember taking that Cundiff game really hard.
I guess that guy was thinking hard about hitting on Ravens fans :D
Hi all!

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Even worse when you consider the level of talent we've had
Ehh, depends. If you look back at the rosters from '13 through '18, it was a whole lot of just meh. Literally nothing special about any of those teams. Had some years with debilitating injuries, but like none of those rosters I considered to be high-end in this league.

I really only look back at '19 and '20 and say "yeah, we should have gone further". 2014 I think we way-overachieved, and every year beyond that was kind of as expected. Even the '18 team, when we made the switch to Lamar, it was pretty clear after a few weeks of him that he wasn't really a passer yet, and that you're not just going to be able to run the ball all over every team you play in the postseason.

2013, 2015-2017, and then probably 2021 (due to injuries) we just weren't competitive enough in terms of roster personnel to be a playoff team.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ehh, depends. If you look back at the rosters from '13 through '18, it was a whole lot of just meh. Literally nothing special about any of those teams. Had some years with debilitating injuries, but like none of those rosters I considered to be high-end in this league.

I really only look back at '19 and '20 and say "yeah, we should have gone further". 2014 I think we way-overachieved, and every year beyond that was kind of as expected. Even the '18 team, when we made the switch to Lamar, it was pretty clear after a few weeks of him that he wasn't really a passer yet, and that you're not just going to be able to run the ball all over every team you play in the postseason.

2013, 2015-2017, and then probably 2021 (due to injuries) we just weren't competitive enough in terms of roster personnel to be a playoff team.
I'm afraid I have to disagree. I'm not saying we had star-studded rosters, but we had some solid team talent more than capable of making and winning in the playoffs. Many people rag on the 2013 draft because of Elam and Brown, but we also pulled pro bowlers in Jensen, Juice, and Williams. The loss of Ray was not a big deal since he was tapped anyways. I also thought Jameel McClain filled in nicely. We def sucked at WR that year. Just missed the playoffs

I'm curious why you think 2014 was an overachievement. There was some serious talent on that team with one of the greatest pass-rushing duos of all time in Suggs and Dumervill, a really great O coordinator, good Oline, and SSS bringing the energy with a 1k season.

Screw 2015: That was indeed an IR meltdown.

2016 was another talented team that started 3-0. Joe really regressed that year with all his back foot lob balls, but we were still more than capable of being a playoff team. Weddle helped solidify a suspect secondary. Just missed the playoffs

2017 I agree we lacked any real talent on offense. The defense was solid, though. Pretty sure we were top 5 in points allowed. Z Smith and Judon came into their own that year. We were playoff bound, and then 4th and 12 happened.

2018-2020 were massive disappointments. I try to be glass half full, but we went 35-13 in the regular season. Clearly, we had talented teams but went 1-3 in the playoffs. That's concerning. We love to ignore it on this forum, but it's still a disturbing trend that this TEAM hasn't shown up in the playoffs. It's not a Lamar problem either; it's a team problem.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm afraid I have to disagree. I'm not saying we had star-studded rosters, but we had some solid team talent more than capable of making and winning in the playoffs. Many people rag on the 2013 draft because of Elam and Brown, but we also pulled pro bowlers in Jensen, Juice, and Williams. The loss of Ray was not a big deal since he was tapped anyways. I also thought Jameel McClain filled in nicely. We def sucked at WR that year. Just missed the playoffs

I'm curious why you think 2014 was an overachievement. There was some serious talent on that team with one of the greatest pass-rushing duos of all time in Suggs and Dumervill, a really great O coordinator, good Oline, and SSS bringing the energy with a 1k season.

2016 was another talented team that started 3-0. Joe really regressed that year with all his back foot lob balls, but we were still more than capable of being a playoff team. Weddle helped solidify a suspect secondary. Just missed the playoffs

2017 I agree we lacked any real talent on offense. The defense was solid, though. Pretty sure we were top 5 in points allowed. Z Smith and Judon came into their own that year. We were playoff bound, and then 4th and 12 happened.

2018-2020 were massive disappointments. I try to be glass half full, but we went 35-13 in the regular season. Clearly, we had talented teams but went 1-3 in the playoffs. That's concerning. We love to ignore it on this forum, but it's still a disturbing trend that this TEAM hasn't shown up in the playoffs. It's not a Lamar problem either; it's a team problem.
So here's how I see it:
2013: you lost a ton of players from 2012 (Ray, Ed, Birk, Ellerbe, Kruger, Cary Williams, Boldin)
You make a great trade for Dumervil, but the FAs you did sign, like Spears, Huff, and Canty, were either bad or unspectacular. That was also the end of the McKinnie experiment and the beginning of the Monroe one, of which neither worked out well.
The three guys you referenced (Juice, Jensen and BWill) literally had no impact whatsoever on the 2013 Ravens, because they barely played. Jensen I believe ended up on the PS, Williams played about 10% of all defensive snaps that year, and Juice played 4 offensive snaps total, because Leach was still there.
Our Tackle and Center play was combos of McKinnie/Monroe, Oher, and Gino Gradkowski. Even Rick Wagner didn't play much in that season. AQ Shipley was like the top reserve. We had KO and Yanda but that's it.
I don't need to walk through the pathetic nature of our pass catchers.
Defense was average, offense had no playmakers and couldn't pass protect.

2014: overachieved mostly because of injuries and missed games.
Will Hill was suspended for six games
Monroe missed like 6 games and part of the playoffs
Pitta played 3 games
Jimmy Smith missed last 10 games + playoffs
Rick Wager missed last 3 games + playoffs
Asa Jackson, who was actually important that year, missed 12 games + playoffs.

By end of the year, the offensive line was in shambles and we had no depth in the secondary. And it showed. We were lucky to make it as far as we did.

2016 I'll concede was probably a better roster than I thought, but yeah, Joe sucked.

I give 2018 sort of a pass, mostly because you're transitioning mid-season to a new QB with gigantically different skills sets, and we probably don't make the playoffs at all without that change.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

those were years where we were expecting/hoping to always be in the race at the end of the year and thought we'd be able to get in the dance with a wildcard spot or maybe sneak the division

but the expectations since 2018 are massively different

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Random weird thing that happened... So I have Paramount Plus which shows the CBS games. Well, on Sunday, I had the Eagles game in the dining room and my bedroom, but the Ravens game was on in the living room which is in between the dining room/bedroom. Is there a reason for this lol

Tank

Hall of Famer

SSS was pretty much washed up in 2016, as was Pitta. I guess there was Mike Wallace, but he wasn't all that. After Forsett went down early in the season the RBs were no names. And yes, Flacco seemed to have a really tough time with his mechanics/footwork coming off the ACL/MCL, probably came back too soon. IMO couldn't have expected much out of that offense.

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
Random weird thing that happened... So I have Paramount Plus which shows the CBS games. Well, on Sunday, I had the Eagles game in the dining room and my bedroom, but the Ravens game was on in the living room which is in between the dining room/bedroom. Is there a reason for this lol
The location detected somehow was different, I think they can only show in market games live.
All smart TVs? Or were you using phone/tablet/laptop.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm glad many of you were not fans when we lost to the 0-13 dolphins in 2007. That might be our worst loss. For all his greatness Ed Reed jumped the wrong route and Greg fucking Camarillo took it to the house

Bro I was. I think i was a freshman or sophomore in high school. My boy came to school with a Jean jacket to hide his dolphin shirt to then open the jacket and say “WAHH BAAAA”

Gives me shivers to this day

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
lol, your living room is in a different zip code

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

I'd be curious to hear if there's a way to manually change your location in the app to get out-of-market games. They were showing the Ravens-Bills game on CBS for most of the country this past weekend, but my area is one of the few that was stuck with a different game (Jets-Shitsburgh) so I still had to stream the game from my computer.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd be curious to hear if there's a way to manually change your location in the app to get out-of-market games. They were showing the Ravens-Bills game on CBS for most of the country this past weekend, but my area is one of the few that was stuck with a different game (Jets-Shitsburgh) so I still had to stream the game from my computer.

I googled it and evidently there is