• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
To be fair, I don’t think human right to life and liberty is religious based. Now, if you wanna point out hypocrisy of one peoples cries for human rights conflicting with their own history(ie slavery, Jim Crow, genocide, etc.) that’s another discussion, but in the Middle East it’s not even much of a debate, it’s not that they’re trying to cover up dirty past injustices like the west does, the Middle East is pretty much leading the modern world in the “oppress human rights” category, and they are the ones who use religion to do so.

The issue to me isn’t that Qatar is doing wrong, the issue is that fifa are a bunch of honorless whores

I do not think I have ever heard a story about FIFA that did not have me go "these guys are a bunch of old corrupt pieces of trash and their organization should be disbanded and the members of it locked in prison". They are so openly corrupt that I am just stunned by the fact that the rest of the world just lets them exist because if half these countries pulled out they cease to be relevant.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Shut up and keep walking is a philosophy I have found works very well in many a situation and it is the right response far more often than one would expect.
The Marine Corps version of this is "shut up and color" I love it, favorite thing to tell myself when higher has some shit ideas

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Human rights are the same all over the world. If fellow humans can't be treated equally regardless of who they can love, that country needs to be called out. It is not just about views and beliefs that are coerced onto the public by patriarchal fiefdoms and kingdoms. If they want to integrate into the world by hosting the most watched event in sports, then they need to accommodate the viewing public that has traveled there.
The biggest "call out" would be people turning off their TVs, but they wont. Gay community included, because they love the on field product. Instead of doing the right thing, they'll wear a rainbow patch and think they are making a difference. They aren't. The only way to harm an organization like FIFA is financially.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Depends on how you define "human rights".
You can call out the Country all you want. But when you travel there, and pretend like their laws or rules don't exist because you arbitrarily think that morally they're "wrong", you pay the price. Ask Brittany Griner how that's working out for her. We can argue all day long about whether the punishment is too severe (which in my opinion, it absolutely is), but these people that plead ignorance in foreign countries about laws need a wake up call and a fast one.

And lets not be naïve here. Qatar isn't hosting the WC because they want to "integrate into the World". It's a revenue generating event. They used migrant workers who were paid practically nothing to construct stadiums that they'll probably tear down or abandon within weeks after the event.

After the WC is over, Qatar won't be changing any of its laws, rules, or morals because the hosted the WC. They wanted foreigners to come there and spend their money in their country so they can keep it. That's what the WC is.

No better example of this than their Government banning alcohol sales within stadiums. That was a smack in the face to Western "culture" and pissed off a ton of people. And those people all bitched about it on social media, etc., and Qatar's response was simply "go fuck yourself". And guess what? Those people did fuck off, because they have no choice but to fuck off.

End of day, the guy in this photo is nothing more than a Futbol reporter who's wearing a Gay Pride shirt in a foreign country to get a rise out of people. That's it.
You couldve said all of that without mentioning brittany griner

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
You couldve said all of that without mentioning brittany griner
Could have, but she's the perfect example of this. It's the poster case for "we're outraged because a foreign country that we have no jurisdiction over treats criminals differently than we do". It doesn't matter if we think weed should be legal or not. Not up to anybody individually to make that decision.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I do not think I have ever heard a story about FIFA that did not have me go "these guys are a bunch of old corrupt pieces of trash and their organization should be disbanded and the members of it locked in prison". They are so openly corrupt that I am just stunned by the fact that the rest of the world just lets them exist because if half these countries pulled out they cease to be relevant.
Well, sort of.
What governing body is capable of organizing a large, world-scale tournament of this magnitude, without corruption? The Euro League's aren't without their own corruption issues. Neither are national leagues in Central/South America either.

If we're being real about this, how many countries, in total, are capable of providing the infrastructure needed to host a global soccer tournament without doing so in countries that are at least "perceived" to have human rights issues? That number shrinks dramatically. Probably less than 10. Would eliminate any Middle-East nation, most of Asia (including Russia, China, etc.), all of Africa and most of South America.

No question FIFA is corrupt, but that's because its a global for-profit business that oversees sporting events for countries that, themselves, are corrupt.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Could have, but she's the perfect example of this. It's the poster case for "we're outraged because a foreign country that we have no jurisdiction over treats criminals differently than we do". It doesn't matter if we think weed should be legal or not. Not up to anybody individually to make that decision.
Yea most dnt care about the legality of it lol.. its strictly about the punishment thats brought up.. yea we cant do shit about it but that dnt mean we are suppose to agree with the punishment.. shit certain crimes here are to severe so actually seeing something thats petty here get you 7yrs in a different country is mind blowing to us..

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
To be fair, I don’t think human right to life and liberty is religious based. Now, if you wanna point out hypocrisy of one peoples cries for human rights conflicting with their own history(ie slavery, Jim Crow, genocide, etc.) that’s another discussion, but in the Middle East it’s not even much of a debate, it’s not that they’re trying to cover up dirty past injustices like the west does, the Middle East is pretty much leading the modern world in the “oppress human rights” category, and they are the ones who use religion to do so.

The issue to me isn’t that Qatar is doing wrong, the issue is that fifa are a bunch of honorless whores
Right but that's sort of my point. I personally think basically all organized religion is total bullshit. Very little factual basis for any of it.
If I openly criticize Christianity, its completely tolerated in this country. If I were to openly criticize Judaism, or any religion of basically any kind that isn't the predominant religion in the US, I'd face public backlash for the criticism and be accused of being anti-Semitic, or anti-Muslim, or whatever else bullshit rationale they'd come up with.

And the reason people do that is because they correlate religious views with cultural values. So if I think your religion is bullshit, I think your culture is bullshit.

And that's precisely the point where people lose me. And Americans aren't the only one's that think this way. If you go to the Middle-East and criticize them for human rights issues, they'll point you towards their religious beliefs, and accuse you of attacking their religion and beliefs.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yea most dnt care about the legality of it lol.. its strictly about the punishment thats brought up.. yea we cant do shit about it but that dnt mean we are suppose to agree with the punishment.. shit certain crimes here are to severe so actually seeing something thats petty here get you 7yrs in a different country is mind blowing to us..
You don't have to agree with the punishment. You just don't get to demand special treatment for somebody who isn't special. Again, its an ironic take from people in this country. We spend copious amounts of time complaining that celebrities, rich people, etc. always get away with breaking laws and get "preferential treatment" in our judicial systems, but here some are, advocating for special treatment for celebrities in foreign countries who break their laws. All because we arbitrarily don't believe in their laws or punishments.

Americans have historically been 100% awesome at applying selective morality, as opposed to universal morality.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
It was about a reporter being denied admission into a stadium in Quatar because he was wearing a gay pride shirt. I looked for a link but couldn’t readily find one that included the response from the Quatar gov, like the one that was posted.
Oh dam. I wouldnt be surprised if the reporter knew that would happen yet still did it

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
You don't have to agree with the punishment. You just don't get to demand special treatment for somebody who isn't special. Again, its an ironic take from people in this country. We spend copious amounts of time complaining that celebrities, rich people, etc. always get away with breaking laws and get "preferential treatment" in our judicial systems, but here some are, advocating for special treatment for celebrities in foreign countries who break their laws. All because we arbitrarily don't believe in their laws or punishments.

Americans have historically been 100% awesome at applying selective morality, as opposed to universal morality.
Im not involved in “ we” but i understand where youre coming from. Regardless of what you say, getting 7yrs for having less than a gram of weed is fked up. Depending on your background, if you get caught with 20 pounds of weed in america, you wont even get 7yrs..shit probably probation tbh. even if it was you, id have sympathy

Last edited:

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im not involved in “ we” but i understand where youre coming from. Regardless of what you say, getting 7yrs for having less than a gram of weed is fked up. Depending on your background, if you get caught with 20 pounds of weed in america, you wont even get 7yrs.. even if it was you, id have sympathy

It is even worse than that because it is not in line with their own punishment criteria. There are multiple examples of them throwing probation or even a month or two at worst as the sentence for such crimes and not 7 years hard labor designed to try and force the US to do a prisoner exchange. They clearly wanted a political prisoner for exchange for the "Lord of War" (yes they literally want the guy the movie was based on for obvious reasons).

When something is so obviously corrupt I question every aspect of the trial itself. They were never going to do an exchange anyway until after they found her "guilty" so her only way out anyway was to confess.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
“Fire MacDonald” @Sizzle Week 2

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im not involved in “ we” but i understand where youre coming from. Regardless of what you say, getting 7yrs for having less than a gram of weed is fked up. Depending on your background, if you get caught with 20 pounds of weed in america, you wont even get 7yrs..shit probably probation tbh. even if it was you, id have sympathy
Sure, and I have sympathy for her now.
But not enough sympathy to warrant trading drug lords or mass murderers we've captured and detained here for far, far, far worse crimes so one person can come home for a crime of pure stupidity.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

I miss living in Japan. Just good people