• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hearing rumors from my sources that Kyler Hamilton and Reggie Stanley are both out for the year
You caught me! Older eyes. Lol!

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's correct. Who the hell are we to police other countries' views and beliefs?
Human rights are the same all over the world. If fellow humans can't be treated equally regardless of who they can love, that country needs to be called out. It is not just about views and beliefs that are coerced onto the public by patriarchal fiefdoms and kingdoms. If they want to integrate into the world by hosting the most watched event in sports, then they need to accommodate the viewing public that has traveled there.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Human rights are the same all over the world. If fellow humans can't be treated equally regardless of who they can love, that country needs to be called out. It is not just about views and beliefs that are coerced onto the public by patriarchal fiefdoms and kingdoms. If they want to integrate into the world by hosting the most watched event in sports, then they need to accommodate the viewing public that has traveled there.
We don't determine what's right in other countries. They went there knowing what that country is about. Don't like it. Don't go.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
it is so important for us to stack up these wins against meh teams. thankfully in the past we've been good at it, but the 2 seed is SO important to our playoff success imo. the dolphins bills and titans all have really tough schedules where we can expect them to drop a few, so ideally we don't lose more than 2 more games this year...

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Depends on how you define "human rights".
You can call out the Country all you want. But when you travel there, and pretend like their laws or rules don't exist because you arbitrarily think that morally they're "wrong", you pay the price. Ask Brittany Griner how that's working out for her. We can argue all day long about whether the punishment is too severe (which in my opinion, it absolutely is), but these people that plead ignorance in foreign countries about laws need a wake up call and a fast one.

And lets not be naïve here. Qatar isn't hosting the WC because they want to "integrate into the World". It's a revenue generating event. They used migrant workers who were paid practically nothing to construct stadiums that they'll probably tear down or abandon within weeks after the event.

After the WC is over, Qatar won't be changing any of its laws, rules, or morals because the hosted the WC. They wanted foreigners to come there and spend their money in their country so they can keep it. That's what the WC is.

No better example of this than their Government banning alcohol sales within stadiums. That was a smack in the face to Western "culture" and pissed off a ton of people. And those people all bitched about it on social media, etc., and Qatar's response was simply "go fuck yourself". And guess what? Those people did fuck off, because they have no choice but to fuck off.

End of day, the guy in this photo is nothing more than a Futbol reporter who's wearing a Gay Pride shirt in a foreign country to get a rise out of people. That's it.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Depends on how you define "human rights".
You can call out the Country all you want. But when you travel there, and pretend like their laws or rules don't exist because you arbitrarily think that morally they're "wrong", you pay the price. Ask Brittany Griner how that's working out for her. We can argue all day long about whether the punishment is too severe (which in my opinion, it absolutely is), but these people that plead ignorance in foreign countries about laws need a wake up call and a fast one.

And lets not be naïve here. Qatar isn't hosting the WC because they want to "integrate into the World". It's a revenue generating event. They used migrant workers who were paid practically nothing to construct stadiums that they'll probably tear down or abandon within weeks after the event.

After the WC is over, Qatar won't be changing any of its laws, rules, or morals because the hosted the WC. They wanted foreigners to come there and spend their money in their country so they can keep it. That's what the WC is.

No better example of this than their Government banning alcohol sales within stadiums. That was a smack in the face to Western "culture" and pissed off a ton of people. And those people all bitched about it on social media, etc., and Qatar's response was simply "go fuck yourself". And guess what? Those people did fuck off, because they have no choice but to fuck off.

End of day, the guy in this photo is nothing more than a Futbol reporter who's wearing a Gay Pride shirt in a foreign country to get a rise out of people. That's it.

Yes. Just as we expect foreigners to respect our laws, we need to be just as respectful as theirs. Totally agreed

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes. Just as we expect foreigners to respect our laws, we need to be just as respectful as theirs. Totally agreed
There's also a shit load of irony in how Americans (and to a certain extend, the West in general) perceive "human rights". Pretty much fundamentally, "human rights" are a foundation based on some sort of religious-based aspect.

Americans are super OK with constant criticism and mocking of Christianity and its belief systems, but somehow are delicately sensitive to the criticism of literally any other religious belief system (in current pop-culture... anti-Semitism).

So laughably, at some point, we decided "thou shall not make fun of other religions", but we simultaneously decided "we're going to dictate human rights to everybody", which is, by definition, based on religious beliefs in most cases.

Can't have both. If you take the stance of being respectful of other cultures religions, then that includes being respectful of their cultures, because fundamentally, those cultures are based on their religious beliefs.

Tank

Hall of Famer
There's also a shit load of irony in how Americans (and to a certain extend, the West in general) perceive "human rights". Pretty much fundamentally, "human rights" are a foundation based on some sort of religious-based aspect.

Americans are super OK with constant criticism and mocking of Christianity and its belief systems, but somehow are delicately sensitive to the criticism of literally any other religious belief system (in current pop-culture... anti-Semitism).

So laughably, at some point, we decided "thou shall not make fun of other religions", but we simultaneously decided "we're going to dictate human rights to everybody", which is, by definition, based on religious beliefs in most cases.

Can't have both. If you take the stance of being respectful of other cultures religions, then that includes being respectful of their cultures, because fundamentally, those cultures are based on their religious beliefs.
The line between beliefs(often also moral convictions)and rights has become blurred and confused. Many have taken the basic human right of “live and let live” and stretched it to “accept how I live and make it a part of your life/beliefs” or else you are violating my human rights. Just because someone doesn’t believe in a person’s choices and lifestyle, that doesn’t mean they “hate” or dislike that person.

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
Post was removed but based on responses I’d like to see it lol
It was about a reporter being denied admission into a stadium in Quatar because he was wearing a gay pride shirt. I looked for a link but couldn’t readily find one that included the response from the Quatar gov, like the one that was posted.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
The line between beliefs(often also moral convictions)and rights has become blurred and confused. Many have taken the basic human right of “live and let live” and stretched it to “accept how I live and make it a part of your life/beliefs” or else you are violating my human rights. Just because someone doesn’t believe in a person’s choices and lifestyle, that doesn’t mean they “hate” or dislike that person.

However, there is one, and only one, acceptable response if you meet someone living a lifestyle you do not approve of: shut up and keep walking. I have a friend who is in a throuple, which is a term I did not know existed a year ago, and while I do not get it or would ever do it or think it is a good idea to do, my response is still "you do you... and apparently 2 others as well". It is not my place nor anyone else's to tell consenting adults how they should live nor should it be anyone's place to stand in the way of how consenting adults want to live. The right for people to be in consenting relationships of their choosing is a basic human right.

Shut up and keep walking is a philosophy I have found works very well in many a situation and it is the right response far more often than one would expect.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

To be fair, I don’t think human right to life and liberty is religious based. Now, if you wanna point out hypocrisy of one peoples cries for human rights conflicting with their own history(ie slavery, Jim Crow, genocide, etc.) that’s another discussion, but in the Middle East it’s not even much of a debate, it’s not that they’re trying to cover up dirty past injustices like the west does, the Middle East is pretty much leading the modern world in the “oppress human rights” category, and they are the ones who use religion to do so.

The issue to me isn’t that Qatar is doing wrong, the issue is that fifa are a bunch of honorless whores