• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Fire Roman yesterday

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don’t hold to the stupid starting a game discussion superstition thread, considering when I say a player is trash he starts lighting it up

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
As much as I would like to have heard Romans name next to fired, I am not sure that is the best bet for the team at the moment. Unless you tell me our in house guys know the language well and can make a few adjustments to it.

I am leaning into tapping one of our guys to take over but I just don't see it
He's not getting fired mid-season, and nobody on this coaching staff would do any better. An OC upgrade is an offseason move.
People still think Jim Caldwell is what sparked the offense back in 2012. Except if you asked literally anybody to explain what he did to give the team that spark, you'll see a person making a face full of utter bewilderment and glazed over eyes stare at you like you just asked them to explain the meaning of the universe.

And by about mid-2013, everybody realized it wasn't true.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's not getting fired mid-season, and nobody on this coaching staff would do any better. An OC upgrade is an offseason move.
People still think Jim Caldwell is what sparked the offense back in 2012. Except if you asked literally anybody to explain what he did to give the team that spark, you'll see a person making a face full of utter bewilderment and glazed over eyes stare at you like you just asked them to explain the meaning of the universe.

Well he gave defenses a new wrinkle. He actually put Boldin where he was best suited, in the slot, and didn’t force him to run constant go routes

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe it does. Let's find out.

On unrelated note - why did he completely abandon Kenyan Drake on Sunday? Dude was our best offensive player in few previous games. He scored touchdowns! Only gave him 2 run plays and a single passing target.
Jacksonville pretty tough to run on, and Drake isn't the kind of back that's going to make a lot of people miss in the open field. He'll get what's blocked for him and that's about it.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

I have fun with the idea that he should be fired and I absolutely think he should but in the off season. Unless you did it before the bye and had someone in house that can make a few tweaks and work on it then it would make SOME sense.

I'll say this, if we don't have a contract with Lamar at the beginning of the offseason and Greg is still the OC I think there is going to be issues.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
THESE COLORS DON'T RUN.

I wish you could see me at work, I don't know what comes over me when our boys go out there man. I turn into Captain America
We are the most passionate fans on planet earth. Until we lose.. then soccer is officially gay again lol

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I agree, he's not getting fired mid season, but I would be on board for giving James Urban an interview. I'm not sure who is going to be available this offseason so I'm not going to say outright that I would hire him, but I'd consider him.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Jacksonville pretty tough to run on, and Drake isn't the kind of back that's going to make a lot of people miss in the open field. He'll get what's blocked for him and that's about it.
Pretty much. He's similar to Freeman and Murray from the standpoint that they usually go down upon contact. Same applied when we had Forsett. I know nothing about this RB class, but if we don't draft one in the mid-rounds, I'm gonna be looking at EDC sideways (not that it matters to him but still).

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pretty much. He's similar to Freeman and Murray from the standpoint that they usually go down upon contact. Same applied when we had Forsett. I know nothing about this RB class, but if we don't draft one in the mid-rounds, I'm gonna be looking at EDC sideways (not that it matters to him but still).
Depending on how the Lamar situation shakes out, I'd say its no better than 50/50 Edwards is a Raven next year. A $5.6M cap hit is pretty big for a rotational, complementary RB. And he'll be 28 and off a major injury.

Agree that the RB room on this team could be shaken up quite a bit next offseason. Dobbins will be back of course, but Hill and Drake are both UFAs and Edwards is pricey.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Pretty sure nothing will come of it.... but Stanford, you have a ton of Ravens fans who will personally drive Greg Roman across country to your campus if you hire him.

no guarantee nothing will come of it
but what is definitely guaranteed is that if this does happen it's not happening until after our season's over

so all those wishful thinkers hoping this might lead to a midseason exit, are not going to get their wish