• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This. Herbert gets sucked off so much by the media. Lamar would get bashed to oblivion
And yet he hasn't gotten bashed to oblivion by barely any Ravens fans for worse playoff performances than what Herbert put up...

Like I get the "everybody in the media hates the Ravens" narrative, but ya'll gotta try a little harder than this.

Like you guys are actively lobbying for the media to look down upon you as intelligent fans.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
And yet he hasn't gotten bashed to oblivion by barely any Ravens fans for worse playoff performances than what Herbert put up...

Like I get the "everybody in the media hates the Ravens" narrative, but ya'll gotta try a little harder than this.

Like you guys are actively lobbying for the media to look down upon you as intelligent fans.
Oh there’s been some times where I’ve asked myself if Lamar was worth the money he wanted when watching him in the playoffs

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If our offense would have blown a lead like that after what the defense did, IN THE PLAYOFFS? We would have never heard the end of it.

As a matter of fact, it would not even be on Roman or the offense. It would be Lamar's fault. Who we fooling? Nobody, absolutely nobody, would cut our guy slack the way they do with Herbert
What the defense did? What did they do?
Last five Jags possessions in that game:
47, 89, 68, 70, 61 yards. 31 points in five drives.

I'll gladly take wagers on which games Lamar was blamed for losing when the defense gave up 31 straight points in five drives. This is like saying people blamed Lamar for losing to Miami...

Come on guys. Like I know its the offseason, so I expect even less effort than I normally get in mid-season, but it feels like some of ya'll have just totally mailed it in...

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Regardless of how they have played or will play, can we all agree that it's fucking wild that we've had guys like Deion Sanders, Devin Hester, Steve Smith, Dez Bryant, Le'Veon Bell, Odell Beckham, etc. put on a Ravens jersey?
Wish we wouldn’t wait until they were well seasoned

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh there’s been some times where I’ve asked myself if Lamar was worth the money he wanted when watching him in the playoffs
For sure. But that's the comedy I'm seeing here.

Herbert plays one playoff game, with basically personnel that is, at best, on par with what Lamar had in any of his playoff games. And an OC who is undeniably worse. And he goes for nearly 300 total yards with a TD and no turnovers, and loses by a point.

And people really think he would be crucified for that? How many turnovers do you think Lamar has in the playoffs?

You get crucified when your team scores 3 points in a playoff game, and you, as a mobile QB, have less than 200 yards of offense, and you turn the ball over. You get crucified when the offense you lead hasn't scored more than 20 points in a playoff game since you entered the league, which was now 5 seasons ago.

Show me a playoff game where Lamar's team scores 30 points, he goes for nearly 300 yards, and he doesn't turn the ball over. Promise you... they won't be complaining about Lamar.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Regardless of how they have played or will play, can we all agree that it's fucking wild that we've had guys like Deion Sanders, Devin Hester, Steve Smith, Dez Bryant, Le'Veon Bell, Odell Beckham, etc. put on a Ravens jersey?

Wish we wouldn’t wait until they were well seasoned

Bordering on ridiculous, but it is kinda wild.

Other than Steve Smith, we got very little if any benefit from those guys, and Smitty would often fade late in games because of his tired and beat up body.

Last edited:

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
What the defense did? What did they do?
Last five Jags possessions in that game:
47, 89, 68, 70, 61 yards. 31 points in five drives.

I'll gladly take wagers on which games Lamar was blamed for losing when the defense gave up 31 straight points in five drives. This is like saying people blamed Lamar for losing to Miami...

Come on guys. Like I know its the offseason, so I expect even less effort than I normally get in mid-season, but it feels like some of ya'll have just totally mailed it in...

Address what I said

IN THE PLAYOFFS.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Address what I said

IN THE PLAYOFFS.
Why would it matter if its in the playoffs or not? Show me the games where Lamar played like Herbert, lost by a point, and his team scored a lot. And then show me the Lamar criticism. Regular or post season. Take your pick.

Neither exists.

People that think its Herbert's fault think that way because they want it to be Herbert's fault. Not because it is.

Again, look at what Lamar has done in his playoff losses, and look at the offensive output of his teams in the playoffs. Then compare that to Herbert's playoff loss. One of those things is not like the other.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Right, but my point is that I don't even really understand the opinion of how the QB blows that game. I don't think anybody can arrive at that conclusion from watching the game, other than based on a pre-game narrative or opinion they had already established that they wanted to make fit.

The reason why there's less judgment is because smart people who make good judgments wouldn't arrive at that judgment. That's why. The people that do likely either a) didn't watch the game, b) lack the context of what happened in the game or c) had already decided they're going to blame a QB for whatever happens in the game, regardless of output.
If Lamar did that a lot of people would latch onto his style not being conducive to closing out playoff games (or winning them at all). He already has that narrative now anyway.

Honestly it’s a damn shame we’ve been robbed of playoff Lamar the last 2 years. He’s a better player now than he was before and we haven’t gotten a chance to demonstrate that. I’m still mad the bengals lucked out against us, burrow wouldn’t be getting sucked off nearly as much if he lost to Tyler Huntley and James Proche at home

Last edited:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Lamar did that a lot of people would latch onto his style not being conducive to closing out playoff games (or winning them at all). He already has that narrative now anyway
But clearly his style (and the Ravens style) is conducive to closing out playoff games. They just never really have leads to be able to close any of them out.
It would seem his style would be conducive to NOT getting ahead in playoff games.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’ve said it before but since I just finished that top 200 plays in Ravens history video, I maintain the Will Hill kick 6 is by far the most overrated play in Ravens history. Both teams were absolutely awful playing 2nd and 3rd string QBs and the loser probably benefiting more due to draft placement. Yea it was cool I guess but damn

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
But clearly his style (and the Ravens style) is conducive to closing out playoff games. They just never really have leads to be able to close any of them out.
It would seem his style would be conducive to NOT getting ahead in playoff games.
But everyone criticized the offense for not closing out the Miami game, and not being able to ground and pound in the playoffs at all, let alone getting a lead. But yea I understand your point in theory

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’ve said it before but since I just finished that top 200 plays in Ravens history video, I maintain the Will Hill kick 6 is by far the most overrated play in Ravens history. Both teams were absolutely awful playing 2nd and 3rd string QBs and the loser probably benefiting more due to draft placement. Yea it was cool I guess but damn
with that win it put us in position to draft Ronnie Stanley vs Jalen Ramsey and of course if we just drafted Ramsey we most likely wouldn't have drafted Humphrey the following draft season. Obviously these are all "if and or buts", but sometimes its fun rehashing those moments.

Tank

Hall of Famer
with that win it put us in position to draft Ronnie Stanley vs Jalen Ramsey and of course if we just drafted Ramsey we most likely wouldn't have drafted Humphrey the following draft season. Obviously these are all "if and or buts", but sometimes its fun rehashing those moments.
More than happy we got Ronnie and Marlo instead of Ramsey. Jalen is class A, A for asshole. lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
But everyone criticized the offense for not closing out the Miami game, and not being able to ground and pound in the playoffs at all, let alone getting a lead. But yea I understand your point in theory
I mean "everybody" isn't what I saw. Some very select few maybe, but obviously the criticism was on the defense for giving up gigantic amounts of big plays down the stretch.

We couldn't ground and pound in the playoffs because we were a one dimensional team who depended on it, and when teams took it away, we didn't know what to do.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean "everybody" isn't what I saw. Some very select few maybe, but obviously the criticism was on the defense for giving up gigantic amounts of big plays down the stretch.

We couldn't ground and pound in the playoffs because we were a one dimensional team who depended on it, and when teams took it away, we didn't know what to do.
People in general, especially ones wanting to be underdogs do have some crazy level of confirmation bias. If even a single reddit or twitter post says something then it becomes everyone.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
That play still gets my blood boiling, it cost us Joey bosa/jalen Ramsey

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JAAM

Hall of Famer
That play still gets my blood boiling, it cost us Joey bosa/jalen Ramsey
Well fuck when you put it this way… fuck Will Hill