• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
1702485621585.png
I predicted Puka

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Is it realistic to stop that type of tackle?

Outright stopped, no. But no form of tackle truly is. That said, it can absolutely be discouraged for the blatant and obvious ones with penalties, i.e. facemasks and horse collars. In fact, it should be easier than both examples because those two are generally an initiation of contact, which can comes down to inadvertent split-second judgement calls. The entire basis of the hip drop is that the defender first needs to wrap around the ball-carrier, then drop their lower half onto the legs. It's a measured response with a step one and a step two. Otherwise, they'd be cannonballing without a target if they weren't already in contact, and at that point, they can just drag down the carrier naturally. I personally think it needs to be outlawed as soon as this offseason.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I believe weather had a bit to do with this week, but we have generally done really well off the bye week.
This discussion has little ammo because the bye week measures are so subjective
But imo not In Lamar era, last year we barely squeaked by the panthers after being hot vs saints and bucs. 2021 we barely snuck by the Vikings in OT who weren’t good and we started super slow. 2020 we lost to the fake Steelers team coming off the bye - including literally a pick 6 on the first play of the game. We don’t talk about 2019 offs

It’s too small sample size to say it’s the bye but we’ve come out flat to start all of those games after previously being hot. Granted we’ve won more recent ones, I don’t think we’ve covered any Vegas wise, and while we haven’t been terrible, we definitely have played worse to start games. You can’t start bad come playoffs