• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
to back that up, I think it'd be idiotic to not want the bye regardless.
if your goal is to win A playoff game, sure 7 seed, but I want SB.
Maybe some harder practice during the stretch would keep us better idk..

I feel Lamar and the Ravens are streaky in nature though, and if we do end up with the 2 seed it could possibly be a benefit. this is just coping for if the chiefs get it tho

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This discussion has little ammo because the bye week measures are so subjective
But imo not In Lamar era, last year we barely squeaked by the panthers after being hot vs saints and bucs. 2021 we barely snuck by the Vikings in OT who weren’t good and we started super slow. 2020 we lost to the fake Steelers team coming off the bye - including literally a pick 6 on the first play of the game. We don’t talk about 2019 offs

It’s too small sample size to say it’s the bye but we’ve come out flat to start all of those games after previously being hot. Granted we’ve won more recent ones, I don’t think we’ve covered any Vegas wise, and while we haven’t been terrible, we definitely have played worse to start games. You can’t start bad come playoffs
good points but as you said it's a small sample size with a different OC this year and a much better defense this year as well.

Roman's offense wasn't built for the postseason, but Monken is a different animal. Much more balanced and we have seen throughout the season that Lamar has gone through his progressions better than ever.

Add in MMs defense and we should be the team that is feared in the postseason. I want that AFCCG, if we get there coming through Baltimore. Don't think that's ever happened before.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
good points but as you said it's a small sample size with a different OC this year and a much better defense this year as well.

Roman's offense wasn't built for the postseason, but Monken is a different animal. Much more balanced and we have seen throughout the season that Lamar has gone through his progressions better than ever.

Add in MMs defense and we should be the team that is feared in the postseason. I want that AFCCG, if we get there coming through Baltimore. Don't think that's ever happened before.
true, Lamar has also started a lot of games hotter this year then he has in the past imo, I think we've gone back to a (I want to think it was Kubiak but we've had so many OCs I cant even recall at this point) short passes to get in rhythm then opening up which I think is great for him.

I forgot who said it, but a Baltimore home afc champ game would be more fun to go to then the superbowl

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
IMG_7026.png

I feel Lamar and the Ravens are streaky in nature though, and if we do end up with the 2 seed it could possibly be a benefit. this is just coping for if the chiefs get it tho

Since playoff seeding is a current topic, I felt this was relevant. It appears as if, of the last 66 Super Bowl participants 51 of those teams had a bye in the first round (77%). However, only 34 of those were the first seed, the other 17 were the second seed when they used to also get the bye. I think this information shows how beneficial the bye week can be.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
If you care go check this, but I believe OBJ has the highest pff grade of a Ravens WR since Boldin in 2012.

OBJ 77 right now.
Boldin 79 in 2012.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

problem in 2019 was more likely a combination of the 1 seed bye as well as basically an extra bye week against the steelers where we rested everyone the week before too...

add to the fact that for some reason a couple of guys also had a few knocks (who'd been healthy all year) and it makes sense why they came in so cold to that game

this team has handled a ton of adversity since and has got used to playing without the full complement, it's also a better team
it's also probable that this team gets to week 18 and still has to play to win to get the 1 seed which means they only get 1 week off and not 2

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Yeah I dont think the Dolphins are our real concern for the 1st seed.
Given they have the Bills and Cowboys in addition to the Ravens, no, I don't think so, either.

I just checked the schedules for the Chiefs and Browns, both teams being teams with very favorable schedules, and yeah, the Ravens really need to go 3-1 and beat the Dolphins because the Browns and Chiefs very well could go 4-0.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't get this, so can you guys help me out? Seriously.

The Ravens have the Jaguars, 49ers, Dolphins, and Steelers left to play. Why do these talking heads keep saying that: "The Ravens have the hardest schedule?" The Jaguars just lost to the Clowns, the Dolphins just lost to the Titans, the Steelers lost to two 2-10 teams back-to-back in Pittsburgh and the 49ers are looking good. While it is a week-to-week league and "Any Given Sunday," I just don't see this as the, "Hardest remaining schedule." All thoughts on this are welcome. :cool:

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

The Ravens have the Jaguars, 49ers, Dolphins, and Steelers left to play. Why do these talking heads keep saying that: "The Ravens have the hardest schedule?" The Jaguars just lost to the Clowns, the Dolphins just lost to the Titans, the Steelers lost to two 2-10 teams back-to-back in Pittsburgh and the 49ers are looking good. While it is a week-to-week league and "Any Given Sunday," I just don't see this as the, "Hardest remaining schedule." All thoughts on this are welcome. :cool:

We could easily drop 2 of those games.

Fins aren't sweet and if Hill is healthy he could blow the game open.

49ers are tough

Steelers always play us tough as we struggle against them

Jags, you don't know what the fuck is showing up on sunday

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
problem in 2019 was more likely a combination of the 1 seed bye as well as basically an extra bye week against the steelers where we rested everyone the week before too...

add to the fact that for some reason a couple of guys also had a few knocks (who'd been healthy all year) and it makes sense why they came in so cold to that game

this team has handled a ton of adversity since and has got used to playing without the full complement, it's also a better team
it's also probable that this team gets to week 18 and still has to play to win to get the 1 seed which means they only get 1 week off and not 2
Even if we did somehow have the bye locked up by week 18 we may just start the starters for at least half the game, this team needs to thump the Steelers and that could be a great momentum builder heading into the playoffs

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor

Look at everyone else’s schedule, that’s why. Although Miami is probably harder