• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Passing game coordinator and assistant HC. I think health wise thats ideal for him.

Only problem is Kubiak always comes with like 1-3 of his dudes. Gotta hire them all if you want him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Dear God ... has Engram been on staff for 5 seasons? Not that this team ever really developed young WRs, but what young WR have we had that amounted to anything here?

That has been an organizational shortcoming forever. If a position coach hasn't been promoted in 5 years and there has been virtually no improvement on any of the receivers you bring in - man, that tells you something.

i did a list of players since he arrived: ill see if i can find it - but its pretty awful:

"Torrey Smith had his worst year as a Raven the year Engram arrived
Marlon Brown disappeared after setting rookie receiving records
Breshad Perriman never developed as a catcher or a route runner and has outperformed his production already in cleveland in half a year
Michael Campanaro was a good route runner and reliable pass catcher but was basically the same player through his whole ravens career
He gets credit for turning Kamar Aiken into an almost 1000 yard receiver when everyone else got injured
But Chris Moore has also not developed beyond key special teamer and a manageable 4th receiver at best
Maclin and Wallace were both basically the same player as on their previous teams - you could argue wallace got slightly better in year 1 then declined and maclin was worse than on his previous teams
SSS was a great signing but he was just SSS the whole time
Crabtree, Snead and Brown all look like they did on their previous teams - Crab still has drop issues, Snead's still a good slot, Brown's still a good deep threat

outside of Aiken i cant think of any receiver who's game has elevated in baltimore since Engram came on
maybe that's all on talent and i think we all agree that the quality of pieces we've had in the receiving room has been sub-par, but no one has improved over time under his tenure and that's worrying"

rossihunter2

Staff Member
we've got a big chance here to inject some fresh ideas from college into our organisation - you have to think that given the move of engram to TE coach that we have someone in mind to come in and be our WR coach

fresh ideas and younger - that's been the whole schtick of this team over the last 12 months...

Wink replacing Pees
DeCosta replacing Oz
Lamar replacing Joe
Roman replacing Marty

we have an opportunity here to continue this fresher younger revolution within the organisation by injecting this coaching staff with some younger guys - probably have to come from college but you've got to think we'll be pulling these coaches from outside the building rather than promoting internally or else we wouldn't have moved engram at all

i wonder if this continues through free agency

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Wait - who here has bitched about Kubiak? It is the only season in the past 5 that our offense under Flacco was effective. We were pretty much all sorry to see him go.

Since we've already announced a new OC, there's no way we fire Roman from a job we just gave him today.
I have.