• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
  • Losing Suggs' leadership hurts, but let's be honest: he's nearing the end of his career and wasn't a huge factor this past season. If we can get Judon to actually perform at the beginning of the season for once then I don't think this loss will be that bad.
  • Zadarius leaving opens up more playing time for Tim Williams and Bowser. As long as Timmy stays on the field (fuck off, Harbs) then I think he has much better potential as a pass-rusher than Zadarius ever did. I don't really have any high hopes for Bowser, but maybe he'll finally pull it together and play better? Regardless, I don't think it's the end of the world to lose Zadarius.
  • Having no WRs is really no different than any other year TBH. We still have Snead so we know he's going to be moving the chains and we'll have Andrews and a HEALTHY Hayden Hurst for our big plays. Add whoever we pick up in the draft since we'll likely be drafting a couple of WRs and we'll probably be better off than last year (as long as they catch better than Crabtree).
  • Losing Mosley sucks, but I'm confident that Peanut and Young can hold down the middle. Even if we get slightly worse in run-stopping ability, we should make up for it with better coverage.
  • O-line has needed work for awhile now so there's not really much difference there. Hopefully we get some new pieces in the draft and, at the very least, replace Skura. We should not have Skura and/or James Hurst starting ever....
Disagree about the wr thing. Even the 2013 group of wrs were better than our current group.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Disagree about the wr thing. Even the 2013 group of wrs were better than our current group.

Are you including Andrews and Hurst in that assessment though? They might be labeled as TEs, but they'll be heavily involved in the passing game. I just don't think we're as bad off as some people seem to think. We already have some great pieces and we just need to add one or two WRs in the draft and we should be set (as long as they don't perform like Perriman).

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Kind of long but interesting
CoZkdGP.gif

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Are you including Andrews and Hurst in that assessment though? They might be labeled as TEs, but they'll be heavily involved in the passing game. I just don't think we're as bad off as some people seem to think. We already have some great pieces and we just need to add one or two WRs in the draft and we should be set (as long as they don't perform like Perriman).
Not gonna count them because TEs become easier to counter without worthwhile threats on the peremeter. Without a John Brown or someone out wide defenses can sit on slot and middle of the field routes. And even Torrey would be a big improvement over the likes of Moore and Lasley.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not gonna count them because TEs become easier to counter without worthwhile threats on the peremeter. Without a John Brown or someone out wide defenses can sit on slot and middle of the field routes. And even Torrey would be a big improvement over the likes of Moore and Lasley.

We still have the draft though. As bad our WR group may look to some right now, that could completely change by the end of next weekend. I'd also like to add that we haven't seen the last of teams cutting players so we might be able to add another WR that way (Dez should also be available if we wanted to give him another shot even though he's coming off an achilles injury). It's not time to panic, yet...

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I somehow convinced myself to like him... for like a week lol, yeah I just don’t see it, the gadget stuff and YAC and speed sounds fun and all but he just doesn’t look like a NFL WR

Tavon Austin 2.0?

I would love if we could pick up a 2nd round pick somewhere and still be able to grab Deebo. Seems like Deebo doesn't have that much hype as everyone else, but I think he could end up being the best WR in the draft provided that he can stay healthy.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Would you guys be willing to trade down with the Pats at 32
I somehow convinced myself to like him... for like a week lol, yeah I just don’t see it, the gadget stuff and YAC and speed sounds fun and all but he just doesn’t look like a NFL WR
Doesnt look like an NFL WR yet...

But tbh we wouldnt be the best team to groom him

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Would you guys be willing to trade down with the Pats at 32

Doesnt look like an NFL WR yet...

But tbh we wouldnt be the best team to groom him
I don’t think he looks like he’ll ever be one, his absolute ceiling is Percy harvin being a speedy gadget guy, but harvin had a level of elusiveness and a nasty streak to him that Campbell completely lacks.

He could develop his route tree from nonexistent to decent but it will take a loooong time because his mentality is clearly just to run fast, he makes no effort to make sharp cuts or play with suddenness, mentally he does look creative using varying angles before the break to dictate coverage and leverage, but the complete lack of effort to run a sharp sudden break is concerning, and the biggest problem of all is the catching, he honestly looks completely lost trying to track a ball down the field, when a defender is stacked vertically he has no clue how to approach the catch, no type of positioning, attacking, body control, or even reaching, his best shot at catching a ball downfield with a defender nearby is just turn around and hang his arms out and hope it falls to him.

So yeah, the speed and explosion could be taken advantage of by certain teams and the right coach could develop his route tree into something nasty, but he’s gonna need full separation to catch anything, and that doesn’t happen often in the nfl, he just doesn’t have a lick of natural catching ability

redrum52

Hall of Famer
The part in which he's talking about when Mike Singletary was part of the Ravens' coaching staff and how Adalius kept telling Mike that he was explaining stuff wrong had me dying. lol

That part had me rolling. Same with the Larry Allen story. It's crazy because I always pictured AD was quiet for some reason.

Kind of off topic, was speaking with a friend and it's amazing to me why more teams aren't game plan specific. A majority of the league seem to play their game and just hope they win without adjusting.