• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Would you guys be willing to trade down with the Pats at 32

Doesnt look like an NFL WR yet...

But tbh we wouldnt be the best team to groom him
To me, 32 would be the perfect spot to trade down to. Could get a third rounder out of it, and we'd still get the 5th year option.

Simba

Staff Member
To me, 32 would be the perfect spot to trade down to. Could get a third rounder out of it, and we'd still get the 5th year option.

It makes sense in some respect until you look at the team though. NE is historically one of the most patient teams when it comes to the draft. They continually move down to acquire more picks year after year, so I have a hard time seeing them being aggressive unless some top tier talent like Hockenson falls to that range.

I will say though, they do have a ton of picks this year, which could buck that trend. They still do have a lot of needs though.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
It makes sense in some respect until you look at the team though. NE is historically one of the most patient teams when it comes to the draft. They continually move down to acquire more picks year after year, so I have a hard time seeing them being aggressive unless some top tier talent like Hockenson falls to that range.

I will say though, they do have a ton of picks this year, which could buck that trend. They still do have a lot of needs though.
They have a bunch of picks and they seriously lack weapons on the offense. Edleman is all they have to catch the ball now that Gronk is retired. I could see them giving up a third to jump up for a TE or WR. Depending on who's there it wouldn't be shocking for the Rams or Chiefs want to move up. It all depends on who falls to us.

Simba

Staff Member
They have a bunch of picks and they seriously lack weapons on the offense. Edleman is all they have to catch the ball now that Gronk is retired. I could see them giving up a third to jump up for a TE or WR. Depending on who's there it wouldn't be shocking for the Rams or Chiefs want to move up. It all depends on who falls to us.

But that's kind of my point though. I think if someone like Hockenson is available, I could see them moving up. For anyone else though, why gives up picks for no apparent reason? The "weapons" in this class are all similarly rated. Why give up a day 2 pick for a guy that could realistically be available at 32? If that player doesn't fall, you're likely getting a very similar player. It just goes against the Patriots MO - they are incredibly patient and generally let the board fall to them.

Of course, all it takes is one team to fall in love with a player, but I think this is a tough draft to really count on teams giving up day 2 picks to move up at the back of the round. You can make a realistic argument that some of the guys in early round 3 could easily be taken in late round 1 and vice versa.

Again, I could be very wrong, but I think at 22, we're hoping for what happened last year with the Titans (conveniently when we were at 22) if we want to move back. A couple of smaller trades backs resulting in early day 3 picks rather than a big one that nets us a day 2 pick.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Since I listened that the later one, had to go back. Whole thing is pretty interesting again.

@1:13:50 has a take on when Flacco first got here and speaks a little on playing with Boller. I could definitely listen to a Bart Scott podcast.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Since I listened that the later one, had to go back. Whole thing is pretty interesting again.

@1:13:50 has a take on when Flacco first got here and speaks a little on playing with Boller. I could definitely listen to a Bart Scott podcast.

”I’m an equal opportunity asshole”. lol

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

So this is what, the second year in a row where the most skilled pass rusher on the team has been fucking wasted by the coaches for whatever reason? Injuries sure, but he was a healthy scratch. Had he been healthy/not Harbaugh'd, I think he'd have lead the team in sacks.

Harbaugh needs to go. Straight up

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

So this is what, the second year in a row where the most skilled pass rusher on the team has been fucking wasted by the coaches for whatever reason? Injuries sure, but he was a healthy scratch. Had he been healthy/not Harbaugh'd, I think he'd have lead the team in sacks.

Harbaugh needs to go. Straight up

Yes some of it is ravens pr, but it had been well reported that Williams had issues(playing weight after the injury and disciplinary stuff i.e not on time etc)
Did Harbaugh/coaching staff waste another season yes and no. In his 1st season he unnecessarily bulked up.
Those are also the reasons why he fell to the 3rd aside from the incident.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The patriots turn insurance salesmen into pro bowl receivers left and right, they won’t be concerned about receivers in this class, if they feel desperate they’ll sit at 32 and draft one of the many receivers who are just barely worthy of a 32nd overall

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Ravens will jump all over Miles Sanders if he is for some reason available in the third. He is in essence another receiver. Really electric quick coming out of the backfield post snap. Very good pass pro also.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Joe Hortiz talking about the draft last year reminded me of what DeCosta said at the time (and it’s probably important to remember because last year was also thought to be a year in which a team might struggle to find a partner to trade back with)

But at a certain point we had to basically stop answering the phone because we’d already acquired enough picks but teams were still calling us to get us to trade back

There will be opportunities for us to acquire extra picks all over the draft - we just have to be prepared to take a guy if we love him at a particular spot

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I'm mad to know we actually make a wr board and still draft the position the way we do. I always assumed they played drunk darts and picked whoever they hit.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The Draft is almost here and I just want some team to make a crazy trade to get me excited for Thursday. Gruden, you have a bunch of picks go get Murray and make some noise in this draft. G-Men, go get Murray and trade Eli, someone just do something.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
My wife is a Ravens fa n but knows nothing at all about the draft. She is somehow pretty accurate picking the ravens first round pick. She called Humphrey and Mosley. Here is how that works; I throw five or six names her directions.....she doesn't know anything about them and just gives a guess purely off of feel. As I said, she's been pretty lucky. Anyway, I threw some names at her this morning and without hesitation she answered, "Josh Jacobs"