• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Done!

D3uCvdnW0AA3zwW.jpg

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i was thinking that maybe with a nice defense and a heavy run game that works, we could make some noise but then i had to think.. we lost our two best pass rushers, no wrs, lost mosley and our oline needs work...... yea we in trouble boys

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
i was thinking that maybe with a nice defense and a heavy run game that works, we could make some noise but then i had to think.. we lost our two best pass rushers, no wrs, lost mosley and our oline needs work...... yea we in trouble boys

• Losing Suggs' leadership hurts, but let's be honest: he's nearing the end of his career and wasn't a huge factor this past season. If we can get Judon to actually perform at the beginning of the season for once then I don't think this loss will be that bad.
  • Zadarius leaving opens up more playing time for Tim Williams and Bowser. As long as Timmy stays on the field (fuck off, Harbs) then I think he has much better potential as a pass-rusher than Zadarius ever did. I don't really have any high hopes for Bowser, but maybe he'll finally pull it together and play better? Regardless, I don't think it's the end of the world to lose Zadarius.
  • Having no WRs is really no different than any other year TBH. We still have Snead so we know he's going to be moving the chains and we'll have Andrews and a HEALTHY Hayden Hurst for our big plays. Add whoever we pick up in the draft since we'll likely be drafting a couple of WRs and we'll probably be better off than last year (as long as they catch better than Crabtree).
  • Losing Mosley sucks, but I'm confident that Peanut and Young can hold down the middle. Even if we get slightly worse in run-stopping ability, we should make up for it with better coverage.
  • O-line has needed work for awhile now so there's not really much difference there. Hopefully we get some new pieces in the draft and, at the very least, replace Skura. We should not have Skura and/or James Hurst starting ever....

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
  • Losing Suggs' leadership hurts, but let's be honest: he's nearing the end of his career and wasn't a huge factor this past season. If we can get Judon to actually perform at the beginning of the season for once then I don't think this loss will be that bad.
  • Zadarius leaving opens up more playing time for Tim Williams and Bowser. As long as Timmy stays on the field (fuck off, Harbs) then I think he has much better potential as a pass-rusher than Zadarius ever did. I don't really have any high hopes for Bowser, but maybe he'll finally pull it together and play better? Regardless, I don't think it's the end of the world to lose Zadarius.
  • Having no WRs is really no different than any other year TBH. We still have Snead so we know he's going to be moving the chains and we'll have Andrews and a HEALTHY Hayden Hurst for our big plays. Add whoever we pick up in the draft since we'll likely be drafting a couple of WRs and we'll probably be better off than last year (as long as they catch better than Crabtree).
  • Losing Mosley sucks, but I'm confident that Peanut and Young can hold down the middle. Even if we get slightly worse in run-stopping ability, we should make up for it with better coverage.
  • O-line has needed work for awhile now so there's not really much difference there. Hopefully we get some new pieces in the draft and, at the very least, replace Skura. We should not have Skura and/or James Hurst starting ever....

Losing Suggs is more than just leaderships but the guy still had the capabilities to handle being a every down outside linebacker. It's really not easy to find a every down outside linebackers that can cover, set the edge and get after the passer. Suggs was pretty smart as well and he did some things on the field that help others players on The Ravens defense out a lot. I don't think Suggs was playing like a old man on the football field but I wouldn't call him a elite pass rusher today but he definitely still is pretty good. I can see why you would say that Zadarius Smith opens the door for Tim Williiams and Tyus Bowser but honestly Zadarius Smith would have been used differently from those two. Williams and Bowers are most likely outside pass rushers only. The Ravens are not going to ask either of those guys to rush the passer with their hands in the dirt at the defensive tackle spot like Zadarius Smith on obvious passing downs. Those guys simply are not as versertile as Zadarius Smith as pass rushers and shouldn't be look upon as being able to fill Z Smith shoes.

The Ravens would have to hope that Willie Henry can replace Z Smith or some other defensive linemen that already have on their roster cause currently they don't have a Zadarius Smith or Pernell Mcphee type player on their team at the outside linebacker position.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Would you trade Judon for a 2 in this years draft of it would land us Winovich or Collier? ( or whoever you're favorite edge might be)

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Would you trade Judon for a 2 in this years draft of it would land us Winovich or Collier? ( or whoever you're favorite edge might be)
Yes i would. 1 year vs 4 year rookie contract makes this decision easy. Judon hasn't shown yet that he can do it for an entire season

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
My thing with Judon is he always seems like the master of taking the free sack, but not of creating the sack. I don't think I've seen many clips of Judon being a force worthy of contract he will likely get, but I've seen tons of times where he is schemed into the correct spot.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Losing Suggs is more than just leaderships but the guy still had the capabilities to handle being a every down outside linebacker. It's really not easy to find a every down outside linebackers that can cover, set the edge and get after the passer. Suggs was pretty smart as well and he did some things on the field that help others players on The Ravens defense out a lot. I don't think Suggs was playing like a old man on the football field but I wouldn't call him a elite pass rusher today but he definitely still is pretty good. I can see why you would say that Zadarius Smith opens the door for Tim Williiams and Tyus Bowser but honestly Zadarius Smith would have been used differently from those two. Williams and Bowers are most likely outside pass rushers only. The Ravens are not going to ask either of those guys to rush the passer with their hands in the dirt at the defensive tackle spot like Zadarius Smith on obvious passing downs. Those guys simply are not as versertile as Zadarius Smith as pass rushers and shouldn't be look upon as being able to fill Z Smith shoes.

The Ravens would have to hope that Willie Henry can replace Z Smith or some other defensive linemen that already have on their roster cause currently they don't have a Zadarius Smith or Pernell Mcphee type player on their team at the outside linebacker position.

If Henry can stay healthy then he should boost our interior pass-rush. As for Bowser, I think he could actually take over Zadarius' role and rush from wherever we need him to. He doesn't really have the moves to rush from the outside, but he's definitely athletic enough to be moved around and be sent on blitzes through whatever gap is available in the middle.

Simba

Staff Member
If Henry can stay healthy then he should boost our interior pass-rush. As for Bowser, I think he could actually take over Zadarius' role and rush from wherever we need him to. He doesn't really have the moves to rush from the outside, but he's definitely athletic enough to be moved around and be sent on blitzes through whatever gap is available in the middle.

Bowser isn't an inside rusher. He doesn't play with his hand in the dirt in nickel situations off the edge. He'd get eaten alive trying to rush from a 3 point stance from the inside.

redrum52

Hall of Famer

If we could get a 2nd... PEACE!

He already seems disgruntled and as far I'm concerned, this is a building year. Stock up the youth and try to build the best roster. I don't see us paying him what he thinks he can make either.

Simba

Staff Member

I'd have a hard time saying no. I think Judon is a good, but inconsistent player. A lot of his stats are inflated by a couple of good games a year. Outside of sacks, even his discipline on the edge is inconsistent.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Yes. Some will say Tim Williams but Judon is the most overrated player(by the fans) on the roster and he does a lot of things incorrectly at times. He's maddeningly inconsistent and is part of the problem we have of taking snaps away from younger guys who deserve to get more snaps.

I wouldn't resign him next year if his asking price is too high.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yes. Some will say Tim Williams but Judon is the most overrated player(by the fans) on the roster and he does a lot of things incorrectly at times. He's maddeningly inconsistent and is part of the problem we have of taking snaps away from younger guys who deserve to get more snaps.

I'd take the 3rd round comp pick and not look back and yes, if you can trade him this year for a 2nd you do it in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I'd take the 3rd round comp pick and not look back
If the opportunity is there to trade him for a second, do it. Tim Williams if given playing time is going to be a good player. There's too much good tape in limited time to me to show otherwise. If he stays healthy(and Harbaugh finally plays him. Seriously, he always does this), I think Williams could be a mainstay on the defense.

I'd ship off Bowser and Judon though. Bowser is not an edge rusher and this team is obsessed with playing him there. He's your classic type of guy Bellicheck picks up later on and turns into a good player. Judon is a good edge rusher but is too inconsistent to ever be a consistent threat. There are games where he outright.

The only two things I'd want instead of an olineman in the first round are pass rushing DT and an edge rusher. We need to find other talents there to bolster depth.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

strong disagree - he's inconsistent as a pure edge rusher but as a schematic fit on the edge in our defence last year he was huge for us - id like him to be less up and down in his pass rushing (especially in terms of finishing) but the flexibility he gives us (particularly when we play dime with everyone at the line) is invaluable because he's a threat to both drop in man or zone and a legit threat off the edge (and stunting)

and he's also got the ability to take over a game that none of our other edge rushers have ever shown - and he comes on strong down the stretch every year - he needs to be more consistent and start a year stronger (and finish better) but he's clearly our best edge defender in all phases (and probably was last year too)

i dont think he's particularly special or someone who would ever be a major player on another defence but he's a perfect scheme fit here and an important piece of our recent defensive success

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
strong disagree - he's inconsistent as a pure edge rusher but as a schematic fit on the edge in our defence last year he was huge for us - id like him to be less up and down in his pass rushing (especially in terms of finishing) but the flexibility he gives us (particularly when we play dime with everyone at the line) is invaluable because he's a threat to both drop in man or zone and a legit threat off the edge (and stunting)

and he's also got the ability to take over a game that none of our other edge rushers have ever shown - and he comes on strong down the stretch every year - he needs to be more consistent and start a year stronger (and finish better) but he's clearly our best edge defender in all phases (and probably was last year too)

i dont think he's particularly special or someone who would ever be a major player on another defence but he's a perfect scheme fit here and an important piece of our recent defensive success
And I'd still trade him for a second in a heartbeat.

1. Several of those sacks were the free sacks over the past two years. The defense benefitted hilariously from the identity shift Lamar Jackson gave the team. We were able to pin our ears back. In 2017 in particular that's not really true because 4 of his sacks came off of well designed blitzes where he went unblocked, and 2 of those sacks that came in the packers game really came from the fact that he was either untouched or the fact that Hundley held on to the ball for too long. Even Za'Darius Smith would have finished on those plays. In 2018 3 of his 7 sacks came against Brandon Parker, a bad rookie RT, and all three came on well designed blitzes except for the first one, which was admittantly impressive. In some situations in 2017 as well, Judon was the clean up guy while Suggs put on the initial pressure.

2. It's not a matter of disagreeing, tape desn't lie. I'm not sure there isn't a player who is a bigger beneficiary of our scheme or identity than Judon right now. A lot of his sacks are like the rest of our pass rush this past season, heavily manufactured to compensate for lack of overall talent. He's not consistently beating tackles off the ball and applying pressure even in games where his stat line is impressive. He's average in coverage, and he's an inconsistent edge setter. Yes, stats will indicate that he's a guy who can take games over, but context matters.

He's not bad, by any stretch of the imagination. That's not what I'm saying. He's a good player but we need to stop propping him up as an "occasional game wrecker" when he's really not. He's an above average player who's probably going to be on the receiving end of a massive overpay in 2020, who the fans overvalue. Does he occasionally beat some tackles one on one? Yes. But did a lot of his production come from scheme and those around him? Oh hell yes.

I've seen this movie before, I've been lambasted because of deeming players, fan favorites, overrated. I'm guilty of gassing some up myself(my unrequited man-crush on Timmy Jernigan.... Who is still a better interior rusher than anyone on this team btw. I'd go resign him to make up for that awful trade). Zach Orr, Crockett Gillmore, hell James Hurst 2017. Buck Allen being called a second half game closer, Paul Kruger, Ellerbe. Players we didn't miss when they left, and for good reason.

It would not surprise me at all if Tim Williams was the best edge player on the defense next year. At all

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bowser isn't an inside rusher. He doesn't play with his hand in the dirt in nickel situations off the edge. He'd get eaten alive trying to rush from a 3 point stance from the inside.

I'm not saying he should be putting his hand in the dirt, but I think he could be pretty good on delayed blitzes or just blitzing from the weak ILB spot.