• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
[
A rb at 22? Bro i know a good divorce lawyer if you need one
If she goes over the deep end and becomes a Steeler fan I'm going to need that number as that would be beyond reconcile. And who said anything about 22?
Just out of curiosity, do you think he could get me the dogs?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
[

If she goes over the deep end and becomes a Steeler fan I'm going to need that number as that would be beyond reconcile. And who said anything about 22?
Just out of curiosity, do you think he could get me the dogs?
Well played... considering my wife’s a Steelers fan lol.

And also fair enough, trade is possible

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
You're the man Flex. I'm just messing......
Is Jacobs better than any WR in round one?
I’ll take JJAW, harmon, Samuel, butler, both browns, over Jacobs.

And here comes the blasphemy... I like Darrell Henderson over Jacobs

Last edited:

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’ll take JJAW, harmon, Samuel, butler, both browns, over Jacobs.

And here comes the blasphemy... I like Darrell Henderson over Jacobs
I like how Sanders fits with us over Jacobs. I don't get Arcega-Whiteside at all . Nowhere close to the first round for me.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I like how Sanders fits with us over Jacobs. I don't get Arcega-Whiteside at all . Nowhere close to the first round for me.
Sanders is weird to me, he’s an electric juke artist and his vision looks superb, but he looks slow as molasses on film, even when he’s pulling away from defenders he looks slow, it’s really weird.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I had my draft dream.....

We took Christian Wilkins because of course we did. Although i still think its more likely we trade back. Hopefully i have another dream for the sake of a complete meltdown...even though...i kinda like Wilkins

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sanders is weird to me, he’s an electric juke artist and his vision looks superb, but he looks slow as molasses on film, even when he’s pulling away from defenders he looks slow, it’s really weird.
I love him split out and in pass pro most of all. He looks like a very difficult cover out of the backfield to me and is essentially another receiver. I don't think he runs with a ton of power though the experts seem to not agree with that

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I'm starting to think Montez Sweat is a possibility for us in a trade up from 22. I keep seeing where teams are concerned about his heart and that he could fall on draft day. Man, if we could get him Thursday Night I'd be ecstatic.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm starting to think Montez Sweat is a possibility for us in a trade up from 22. I keep seeing where teams are concerned about his heart and that he could fall on draft day. Man, if we could get him Thursday Night I'd be ecstatic.
You don't think we've eliminated him from our board given his heart condition? You think Eric is that kind of a risk taker? Remember we had to live through Zach Orr's neck injury that wasn't diagnosed earlier too. That must have given our org some pause regarding congenital conditions no?

Last edited:

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’d prefer pass rusher to WR or OL in the first round. I’m a big fan of guys like Harry and Campbell but I’d rather get either later. That said, it sucks we do not have a 2nd round pick.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well played... considering my wife’s a Steelers fan lol.

And also fair enough, trade is possible
mine is worse, she's a Pats fan. That being said, she knows nothing about football and still wears Ravens merchandise, except when the Pats are in the SB :(

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Zrebiec wrote a more detailed story about DeCostas GM journey. I can copy the entire story if you want.
But here's an interesting paragraph:
Thinking out of the box
Orioles center fielder Adam Jones hits the first home run. Two batters later, Manny Machado connects. Chris Davis homers, and when Mark Trumbo deposits a pitch over the wall against the Houston Astros, the 2016 Orioles become the first baseball team since 1900 to hit four homers before recording an out.

Eric DeCosta shifts uncomfortably in his Camden Yards seat. He’d reached out to the Astros’ front office because of his deep respect for the forward-thinking organization and their approach to team-building. He wanted to trade ideas. He’d spent time earlier in the day with Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow and Sig Mejdal, the former NASA engineer who led Houston’s analytical team, and then joined them later for the game.

DeCosta doesn’t deal with losing well. Never has. As a kid, he’d go on 10-mile runs to blow off steam when the Cowboys didn’t play well. He broke countless rackets during matches with his sister, even though Joey doesn’t ever recall winning one.

As ball after ball leaves the yard, DeCosta observes the Astros’ GM and his assistant with awe. He doesn’t know them well at this point, and DeCosta imagines how he’d act if his team was the one on the wrong end of that type of record. “Gosh,” he thinks, “I’d be going crazy. I’d be punching holes in the wall.”

“It’s baseball,” they assure him. “Don’t worry about it.”

The Astros come back to win the game, leaving DeCosta with one lasting thought: “This is a different sport. It’s totally different.”

DeCosta’s curiosity and desire to always be on the cutting edge led to a relationship between the Ravens and Astros that both sides say has been beneficial. DeCosta has grown especially close with Mejdal, who is now the Orioles assistant GM under another former Houston executive, Mike Elias.

“It didn’t take long to realize that he has a growth mindset,” Mejdal said of DeCosta. “He has an incessant desire to learn, explore, get ideas from outside of football. That’s a wonderful person to talk to and exchange ideas with.

“When you can find a modern, open-minded (coach or executive) searching for innovations and when you can have a conversation with them, it cannot not help. There was ideas related to the draft, to scouting, to the traits of a scout that were very illuminating to us that we put to use with the Astros and now with the Orioles, too.”

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Zrebiec wrote a more detailed story about DeCostas GM journey. I can copy the entire story if you want.
But here's an interesting paragraph:
Thinking out of the box
Orioles center fielder Adam Jones hits the first home run. Two batters later, Manny Machado connects. Chris Davis homers, and when Mark Trumbo deposits a pitch over the wall against the Houston Astros, the 2016 Orioles become the first baseball team since 1900 to hit four homers before recording an out.

Eric DeCosta shifts uncomfortably in his Camden Yards seat. He’d reached out to the Astros’ front office because of his deep respect for the forward-thinking organization and their approach to team-building. He wanted to trade ideas. He’d spent time earlier in the day with Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow and Sig Mejdal, the former NASA engineer who led Houston’s analytical team, and then joined them later for the game.

DeCosta doesn’t deal with losing well. Never has. As a kid, he’d go on 10-mile runs to blow off steam when the Cowboys didn’t play well. He broke countless rackets during matches with his sister, even though Joey doesn’t ever recall winning one.

As ball after ball leaves the yard, DeCosta observes the Astros’ GM and his assistant with awe. He doesn’t know them well at this point, and DeCosta imagines how he’d act if his team was the one on the wrong end of that type of record. “Gosh,” he thinks, “I’d be going crazy. I’d be punching holes in the wall.”

“It’s baseball,” they assure him. “Don’t worry about it.”

The Astros come back to win the game, leaving DeCosta with one lasting thought: “This is a different sport. It’s totally different.”

DeCosta’s curiosity and desire to always be on the cutting edge led to a relationship between the Ravens and Astros that both sides say has been beneficial. DeCosta has grown especially close with Mejdal, who is now the Orioles assistant GM under another former Houston executive, Mike Elias.

“It didn’t take long to realize that he has a growth mindset,” Mejdal said of DeCosta. “He has an incessant desire to learn, explore, get ideas from outside of football. That’s a wonderful person to talk to and exchange ideas with.

“When you can find a modern, open-minded (coach or executive) searching for innovations and when you can have a conversation with them, it cannot not help. There was ideas related to the draft, to scouting, to the traits of a scout that were very illuminating to us that we put to use with the Astros and now with the Orioles, too.”
yes, post the entire article or atleast the link

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
@cdp, that's really cool. I like Sig and Elias, so it'll be awesome if Decosta can get any ideas from them that'll translate to football.