• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I understand this is not some idea that took a lot of high level thought and that it is literally just basic statistics, but every time we double up on a position in the draft where at least one was taken somewhat early, we've gotten at least one highly productive player. We should really keep doing that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I understand this is not some idea that took a lot of high level thought and that it is literally just basic statistics, but every time we double up on a position in the draft where at least one was taken somewhat early, we've gotten at least one highly productive player. We should really keep doing that.

2019 WR (1+3): still to be seen but im hopeful
2018 TE (1+3): already got one hit and another who could also hit
2017 EDGE (2+3): neither one has broken out so looks disappointing so far - it's a lot of 2 steps forward 1 step back type stuff - Tyus doesnt seem like a fit but Timmy's showed signs but not stayed on the field for long enough periods due to not getting out of his own way - it does also seem like the ravens edge guys never really step up until year 3 so this could be the year that at least one of them turns it on
2016 OL (1+4): 1 hit and 1 high-level backup who looked for a while like they might also be a decent level starter
2015 TE (2+5): this one kinda depends on how you feel about nick boyle - technically we gave one of these players a second contract and he's been productive but it's not quite what you'd have hoped for out of him and maxx
2014 DL (2+4): 1 guy played well for us but we traded away for basically a 3 and the other was beset by injuries but gave us good level production as a starter and played the ironman role on our DL
2013 DL (3+6): 1 guy is still on our team anchoring our DL and the other never really progressed beyond the practice squad

we've double-dipped at a position where we took at least 1 high in every draft since 2012 (where we didnt double-dip)

i think more clearly the trend has been the last 3 years where we've double dipped with 2 players high in the draft at the same position

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
2019 WR (1+3): still to be seen but im hopeful
2018 TE (1+3): already got one hit and another who could also hit
2017 EDGE (2+3): neither one has broken out so looks disappointing so far - it's a lot of 2 steps forward 1 step back type stuff - Tyus doesnt seem like a fit but Timmy's showed signs but not stayed on the field for long enough periods due to not getting out of his own way - it does also seem like the ravens edge guys never really step up until year 3 so this could be the year that at least one of them turns it on
2016 OL (1+4): 1 hit and 1 high-level backup who looked for a while like they might also be a decent level starter
2015 TE (2+5): this one kinda depends on how you feel about nick boyle - technically we gave one of these players a second contract and he's been productive but it's not quite what you'd have hoped for out of him and maxx
2014 DL (2+4): 1 guy played well for us but we traded away for basically a 3 and the other was beset by injuries but gave us good level production as a starter and played the ironman role on our DL
2013 DL (3+6): 1 guy is still on our team anchoring our DL and the other never really progressed beyond the practice squad

we've double-dipped at a position where we took at least 1 high in every draft since 2012 (where we didnt double-dip)

i think more clearly the trend has been the last 3 years where we've double dipped with 2 players high in the draft at the same position

Yeah that's actually a lot more accurate. But again, it just makes sense that more often than not, if you double dip high, you're going to get some good players

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah that's actually a lot more accurate. But again, it just makes sense that more often than not, if you double dip high, you're going to get some good players

absolutely - it's why i was surprised in 2017 that we didnt double-dip at corner - that's where id thought we'd need the most help at that time - ahkello witherspoon was my guy that year and i mocked him to us consistently in the 3rd lol - how could i have known that brandon carr would come in and play better than he has the rest of his career as well as maurice canady providing great depth for the injured tavon young (who we got both of in the 2016 class too)

i do think if you've got the draft capital and the board falls that way that double-dipping high is never a bad thing unless you're devoid of talent all over your roster but we clearly in 2018 had an enormous hole at TE and in 2019 had an untenable hole at WR - leaving either unattended would have been disastrous and in fact we couldnt just try and address those positions we had to/have to succeed at addressing those positions or our seasons go down the drain

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
absolutely - it's why i was surprised in 2017 that we didnt double-dip at corner - that's where id thought we'd need the most help at that time - ahkello witherspoon was my guy that year and i mocked him to us consistently in the 3rd lol - how could i have known that brandon carr would come in and play better than he has the rest of his career as well as maurice canady providing great depth for the injured tavon young (who we got both of in the 2016 class too)

i do think if you've got the draft capital and the board falls that way that double-dipping high is never a bad thing unless you're devoid of talent all over your roster but we clearly in 2018 had an enormous hole at TE and in 2019 had an untenable hole at WR - leaving either unattended would have been disastrous and in fact we couldnt just try and address those positions we had to/have to succeed at addressing those positions or our seasons go down the drain

Couldn't say it better myself.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I was actually kinda pissed at the Humphrey pick because I was putting my faith in jimmy and Carr and thought oj Howard was clearly the best “win now” prospect for our situation.

I’m glad though because clearly it was the right pick and we were far from any kind of win now situation, but I thought we were much closer

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I was actually kinda pissed at the Humphrey pick because I was putting my faith in jimmy and Carr and thought oj Howard was clearly the best “win now” prospect for our situation.

I’m glad though because clearly it was the right pick and we were far from any kind of win now situation, but I thought we were much closer
Think back to this post every time you have second thoughts or heart burn over any of our picks!

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
didnt know where to put this but patrick peterson is going to be suspended vs the ravens - he's getting a 6-game suspension to start the season (initially reported as 8) but either way he misses the game vs us
I don’t think this season is going to result in playoffs but if we don’t trounce the fucking cardinals we are fucked.

I want nothing more than to see everyone in that organization fired for ruining Larry Fitzgerald’s legacy

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don’t think this season is going to result in playoffs but if we don’t trounce the fucking cardinals we are fucked.

I want nothing more than to see everyone in that organization fired for ruining Larry Fitzgerald’s legacy
I'm not so sure. Kingsbury's scheme might be difficult to defend at the beginning of the season because as of now or even after a couple of pre-season games we have no idea how Kingsbury's NFL version of the Air raid works.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I'm not so sure. Kingsbury's scheme might be difficult to defend at the beginning of the season because as of now or even after a couple of pre-season games we have no idea how Kingsbury's NFL version of the Air raid works.
Klimt isn’t gonna last. Offense may be difficult but that oline in AZ is garbage. When the league figures it out, and they will, he’s done. Gone like Chip Kelly. Except Kelly was a good coach in college.

Even with a younger defense we should eat that oline alive. I know about Murray and how electric he is but even he’d get killed

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, but we know how college air raids usually work. And we have like ten decent corners on the team, so they can't really spread out our D to make good matchups.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Klimt isn’t gonna last. Offense may be difficult but that oline in AZ is garbage. When the league figures it out, and they will, he’s done. Gone like Chip Kelly. Except Kelly was a good coach in college.

Even with a younger defense we should eat that oline alive. I know about Murray and how electric he is but even he’d get killed
I actually still think Chip could be a good OC in the NFL. But he'll never accept anything less than HC.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, but we know how college air raids usually work. And we have like ten decent corners on the team, so they can't really spread out our D to make good matchups.
I wanted Harbs to hire Kliff as OC before he took the USC job. I see yours and losts argument, but even we had success last season with a gimmicky offense and teams were well aware of those concepts we used. I'm just saying...Kliff and Riley are geniuses

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree.

I think way less of Kliff.

I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong but I’m pretty damn sure of this one.
Chip is a fantastic college coach, but the scheme he ran in the NFL was really basic, teams could pretty much tell what they were running based on where the rb lined up