• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Anyone have any information on WVU WR Marcus Simms, who is in the supplemental draft

The only way I can see ravens spending a draft pick for him is if he’s a standout returner as well as WR. But it doesn’t seem like he did it in college. Carrying 3 rookie WRs in the active roster is tough

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The only way I can see ravens spending a draft pick for him is if he’s a standout returner as well as WR. But it doesn’t seem like he did it in college. Carrying 3 rookie WRs in the active roster is tough
I didn't say the Ravens should do it, I was just asking if anyone had any information on him.

A1A

Veteran
Nah if we were going WVU WR it would have been Jennings. Who I actually would have preferred getting later than Hollywood 1st. I said years ago I'd never take a 180lbs 5'10 receiver 1st . Just isnt worth the pick. Closest thing to him being successful is comparing him to Cook. Ah well fingers crossed that he breaks records here.

A1A

Veteran
It's funny watching guys slide like Jennings and Harmon..like these million dollar decisions rely on the combine still. Video dont lie but the guy in body tights and running shoes with super sticky gloves well rested means everything. Harmon will have a good career is what I'm saying. Hollywood idk.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Nah if we were going WVU WR it would have been Jennings. Who I actually would have preferred getting later than Hollywood 1st. I said years ago I'd never take a 180lbs 5'10 receiver 1st . Just isnt worth the pick. Closest thing to him being successful is comparing him to Cook. Ah well fingers crossed that he breaks records here.

hollywood?
the closest 2 players to him in the league are tyreek hill and desean jackson... id say they are better than successful (on the field)

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
It's funny watching guys slide like Jennings and Harmon..like these million dollar decisions rely on the combine still. Video dont lie but the guy in body tights and running shoes with super sticky gloves well rested means everything. Harmon will have a good career is what I'm saying. Hollywood idk.
Do you think its because of our system/qb that got yoy unsure of hollywood?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Under what screen name?

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

I’m still shocked Harmon fell that fall. I wanted us to triple dip on value alone. Draft him instead of trace. If anything, give up a future 6th round to move back into the 7th if we really wanted trace. He was probably going to go undrafted anyways.

A1A

Veteran
hollywood?
the closest 2 players to him in the league are tyreek hill and desean jackson... id say they are better than successful (on the field)

Jackson has over achieved I'll give him that. He had some solid years and if Brown could give us just 1 of those he'd snap the wr curse. Hill on the other hand wasnt a FIRST round pick. Cook was and so far has had 2 of the most accurate QB's throwing to him. Also those 3 lil dudes are all bigger than Brown. I mean I love an underdog story just as much as the next but this our team and we've missed 2 super bowl trophies. Cant be making these high cost low reward moves.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
So because Julio happened to play when megatron did he’s not a generational talent? What horrible logic.

I guess because Julio and AB and Hopkins are in the league right now means Odell isn’t a generational talent either.

Which he isn’t anyway. Elite =/= generational talent people. Julio is a generational talent. Odell is a really good WR.

So people are misunderstanding what I mean, I figured I’d continue it here.

That’s a draft grade. A projection. If pro scouts who get paid to do this get it wrong, then what the hell do you expect out of a 21 year old who’s never played a down of football before? Whether they make the all decades team or not is irrelevant to what I deem a player that’s “generational”. Plenty of players who are in the hall of fame that weren’t top 5 picks. Or even first round picks. Or even drafted. Shows what all 32 teams know, and if they don’t get it right most of the time, then what is a fan supposed to do. I may be smart, but I’m not god.

Odell was a prospect I really liked but I didn’t watch him and go “gee, this guy could change the league”. I thought he could be a very good WR. He produced and developed way quicker than I think even his biggest supporters thought he would. But I still wouldn’t call him that. For all of his athletic talent he’s also had a tendency to disappear at times as well as be a problem.

I didn’t have Brown and Hopkins as that either. But they had questions coming out of school. This is where coaching came in. Antonio Brown was a sixth round pick. HE didn’t do too much his first couple of years as a receiver and a lot of his game came from a team that develops WRs better than anyone else. Same goes for Hopkins, who FWIW I really liked coming out of school. Didn’t envision him becoming the best WR in football. I don’t think anyone did, and if you claim so I call BS right now.

AJ and Julio set a precedent at the WR position. Green came in and dominated as a rookie, and for all intents has fooled most NFL fans into thinking that Dalton is a franchise QB for the better part of a decade. Green is overlooked because... Well he plays for the Bengals, who cares about them?

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jackson has over achieved I'll give him that. He had some solid years and if Brown could give us just 1 of those he'd snap the wr curse. Hill on the other hand wasnt a FIRST round pick. Cook was and so far has had 2 of the most accurate QB's throwing to him. Also those 3 lil dudes are all bigger than Brown. I mean I love an underdog story just as much as the next but this our team and we've missed 2 super bowl trophies. Cant be making these high cost low reward moves.
The 2020 draft is loaded with WR talent. I would've prefered to draft Harmon instead of McSorley (wasted pick). But Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, CeeDee, Shenault, Reagor....
Brown has a great work ethic and is currently working out at the uapc. He is not only relying on his talents as so many others do. Don't forget that for the first time since like forever we have a 1a WR coach who knows what traits to look for in a top WR.