• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Tank

Hall of Famer
@SepticeyePoe
I watched the Chiefs game particularly to see about Willie Snead.
My sense overall is that his apparent drop in production is tied to a few things:
1)how often he is on the field - I haven't researched his snap counts, this year/last year but he is in this game used in rotation...in and out routinely.
2) How he is used - he is motioned as a pull, he is blocking down on the edge, he is kick out block on power. I don't think he is a first read as often by a fair amount. I just don't think he is a primary target that often anymore.
To me he looks like the same receiver and they should start making him a primary read more. His hands, Route running (not explosiveness as it regards marquise, of course) and ability to read a coverage are absolutely right up there with Andrews and Brown and with all of the focus being placed in the direction of those two, he should probably get more targets.

He is pretty uncover able against off coverage underneath.

Just one game, of course.
Seems our possession passing game consists of throwing to the TEs, and also throwing to the TEs, in addition to throwing to the TEs.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
@SepticeyePoe
My sense overall is that his apparent drop in production is tied to a few things:
1)how often he is on the field - I haven't researched his snap counts, this year/last year but he is in this game used in rotation...in and out routinely.
2) How he is used - he is motioned as a pull, he is blocking down on the edge, he is kick out block on power. I don't think he is a first read as often by a fair amount. I just don't think he is a primary target that often anymore.
To me he looks like the same receiver and they should start making him a primary read more. His hands, Route running (not explosiveness as it regards marquise, of course) and ability to read a coverage are absolutely right up there with Andrews and Brown and with all of the focus being placed in the direction of those two, he should probably get more targets.

Thanks!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@SepticeyePoe

With regards to a lot of this you’ve watched a lot more than me but for what it’s worth I’ve found it interesting just how much we’ve used Snead as the motion man pre-snap and I wonder if that puts him later in the reads more than he would otherwise be on a consistent basis based on that inherently later release into his route

Very surprised at how little Lamar’s focused towards him on 3rd down given how effective he was when Lamar came in last season on that down

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Seems our possession passing game consists of throwing to the TEs, and also throwing to the TEs, in addition to throwing to the TEs.

This checks out statistically - we target our TEs more than any other team and it accounts for 42% of our offence which leads the league

From recollection the raiders are next with 39%

However interestingly from a philosophical standpoint, guys like Kyle Shanahan are using multiple TEs + FB (juice) more often so using more TEs and building offences around them isn’t inherently ineffective but it’s how you use them

Even more interesting is that shanahan and mcvay come from the same coaching tree and yes there are similarities in their offences but their uses of personnel to create mismatches is crazy different - it’s like they’ve taken one philosophy and gone 2 fundamentally opposite ways in how to exploit it

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Man that sucks.

I don't know if you guys know this or not, but Broncos RB Phillip Lindsay chose to sign with us. HIS MOTHER CONVINCED HIM TO SIGN WITH THE BRONCOS LMFAOOOOOOO
But from my understanding, Colorado is the fam's hometown so I'm sure the mother wanted him to stay nearby. Ain't mad at that at all.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Other than patriots.. we have had 2 of the best exploits in my recent memory of the rule book yet we use them in regseason games instead of the playoffs... i hate harbaugh for not saving them till playoffs like BB does lol.. now theyre banned

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Other than patriots.. we have had 2 of the best exploits in my recent memory of the rule book yet we use them in regseason games instead of the playoffs... i hate harbaugh for not saving them till playoffs like BB does lol.. now theyre banned

I know one of them is the dropkick that we used against the Browns Chiefs, but what's the other one?

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
you saying we didnt do them in crunch time?

we literally did this in a superbowl that helped us win... not sure what better time there is to do it?
the fact the league allowed us to do it a second time is outrageous
Not that they let us do it, just that the team possessing the ball either suffers the holding penalty, and then it’s a safety anyway with a ten second runoff ending the game, or it’s declined and the result of the play stands(a safety)

It’s brilliant, damned if ya do damned if ya don’t, and the league would literally have to change the consequences of a safety inside the 2 minute warning to get around this

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
you saying we didnt do them in crunch time?

we literally did this in a superbowl that helped us win... not sure what better time there is to do it?
the fact the league allowed us to do it a second time is outrageous
I legit dont remember us doing this vs niners tbh