• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

seriously, he can't even realize we are missing important pieces from last year. Do your research, Louis
I know. Sure there are 32 teams to keep on top of ... but it is your job! I'm always amazed at how some analysts seem clueless as to what is going on in any given franchise.

I understand with people who have to cover all sports - that's an insane amount of information ... but when you are a football guy, all you cover is football and it is your full time job, you should know nearly as much about each franchise as the fans of those franchises know.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I know. Sure there are 32 teams to keep on top of ... but it is your job! I'm always amazed at how some analysts seem clueless as to what is going on in any given franchise.

I understand with people who have to cover all sports - that's an insane amount of information ... but when you are a football guy, all you cover is football and it is your full time job, you should know nearly as much about each franchise as the fans of those franchises know.

Pretty lofty expectations. Covering one division would be difficult. The only way to do is this is keep open lines with each team's insiders. That's not that easy.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Pretty lofty expectations. Covering one division would be difficult. The only way to do is this is keep open lines with each team's insiders. That's not that easy.
If they are gong to answer questions on live TV, than you better understand what is going on or you'll look really stupid.

Although not the secondary, they have to know we lost CJ Mosley and Terrell Suggs and that is hurting the secondary. He also should know that Jimmy Smith has been out and Tavon Young is on IR.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

You could say he had a hand in the victory...
1f608.png

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
How does Brent Urban getting cut from the Titans affect our compensatory picks? And Mosley not playing much? Not gonna lie that’s a bit of a concern for me atm

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
How does Brent Urban getting cut from the Titans affect our compensatory picks? And Mosley not playing much? Not gonna lie that’s a bit of a concern for me atm
when he was signed, we ended up getting the John Brown pick back. We will have a 3rd round pick for either Mosley or ZDS.

according to Overthecap Mosley would need to miss 13 games for us to only get a 4th rounder for him.

From May
https://overthecap.com/2020-compensatory-draft-picks-update-5-13-2019/

Most recent update 9/25
https://overthecap.com/2020-compensatory-picks-projection-update-9-25-2019/

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Earl cancelled out ZDS
Bethel cancelled out Suggs
Ingram cancelled out Brown

Urban getting signed allowed us to get Brown back as a comp pick (4th rounder)

Thus since he was cut before week 10, we lost that 4th rounder.
If we were to cut Bethel prior to week 10 we would get that 4th rounder back.

Also, if Mosley is injured for 13 games (not likely) than we would only get a 4th rounder for him, per OTC.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I reckon when trawick gets back we'll cut bethel.
Bethel needs to be cut by week 10 for us to get the comp pick back. Bethel is a tremendous special teams player but he isn't worth a 4th round pick if you ask me, even a late one.

What I'm not sure about is if we cut him and then pick him up if he clears waivers.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Bethel needs to be cut by week 10 for us to get the comp pick back. Bethel is a tremendous special teams player but he isn't worth a 4th round pick if you ask me, even a late one.

What I'm not sure about is if we cut him and then pick him up if he clears waivers.

we cant re-sign him this year or we just lose the comp pick again - i think that's what brian mcfarland has said earlier in the season

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Earl cancelled out ZDS
Bethel cancelled out Suggs
Ingram cancelled out Brown

Urban getting signed allowed us to get Brown back as a comp pick (4th rounder)

Thus since he was cut before week 10, we lost that 4th rounder.
If we were to cut Bethel prior to week 10 we would get that 4th rounder back.

Also, if Mosley is injured for 13 games (not likely) than we would only get a 4th rounder for him, per OTC.
That would kinda sting to be honest. Not sure I can justify cutting Bethel though with being as thin as we are at CB.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
That would kinda sting to be honest. Not sure I can justify cutting Bethel though with being as thin as we are at CB.
His value is on ST. Jimmy is coming back, Averett and Canady will get right, Jones is around, too. I wouldn't mind if he's released for extra pick.

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
Am I wrong to be slightly miffed that Darren Waller couldn’t get his shit together until after he left us?

Tank

Hall of Famer
Am I wrong to be slightly miffed that Darren Waller couldn’t get his shit together until after he left us?
I’m not miffed, but really disappointed. Always liked Waller, his size and athleticism. Thought he was going to be a real good one for us. Happy for him that he got his life and career on track.