• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
tbf he was matched up with julio jones a lot of the night and he played pretty well - in the same way peters got beat a couple of times (should have given up a td if not for the drop) but came back and did some nice things
Personally? I thought Ramsey was toasted. He flipped his hips too soon and gave up 13 yards on the out-route (Link). He would have given up at least 17 on the comeback if not for the overthrow (Link). He was beaten soundly on the in-route thereafter for 17 (Link). This was his best coverage effort on all of Jones' targets his way, which was certainly good enough, but he still almost gave up the first down on 2nd and 17 on the comeback (Link). Then he was beaten on the nine for 39 yards (Link). Then he almost gave up at least 28 on the same route, with Jones sightly losing his footing and narrowly missing the catch (Link). On their last target, Ramsey was technically on Jones, but the screen was snuffed out by Robey, so it's hard to count as a head-to-head (Link).

Now, things to note. This was Ramsey's first game in a new uniform, and it was against one of the toughest covers of our time. Tough start for any new acquisition, and I assume that there will be greener pastures. However, they did mortgage the house for a player that is supposed to be able to hang in there with the best of them. I should note that I haven't watched the entirety of the game, and I'm sure that there were examples of sticky coverage in-between the targets. But even if you take away the sideline incompletion on 2nd and 17, on which the coverage was sound, if not for the miscues by Ryan and Jones, Ramsey comes away allowing 114 yards and a potential TD on 6 targets. Which is still disappointing even with the context given. I expect him to fare better, but it's not the best of looks as it stands.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Personally? I thought Ramsey was toasted. He flipped his hips too soon and gave up 13 yards on the out-route (Link). He would have given up at least 17 on the comeback if not for the overthrow (Link). He was beaten soundly on the in-route thereafter for 17 (Link). This was his best coverage effort on all of Jones' targets his way, which was certainly good enough, but he still almost gave up the first down on 2nd and 17 on the comeback (Link). Then he was beaten on the nine for 39 yards (Link). Then he almost gave up at least 28 on the same route, with Jones sightly losing his footing and narrowly missing the catch (Link). On their last target, Ramsey was technically on Jones, but the screen was snuffed out by Robey, so it's hard to count as a head-to-head (Link).

Now, things to note. This was Ramsey's first game in a new uniform, and it was against one of the toughest covers of our time. Tough start for any new acquisition, and I assume that there will be greener pastures. However, they did mortgage the house for a player that is supposed to be able to hang in there with the best of them. I should note that I haven't watched the entirety of the game, and I'm sure that there were examples of sticky coverage in-between the targets. But even if you take away the sideline incompletion on 2nd and 17, on which the coverage was sound, if not for the miscues by Ryan and Jones, Ramsey comes away allowing 114 yards and a potential TD on 6 targets. Which is still disappointing even with the context given. I expect him to fare better, but it's not the best of looks as it stands.
well researched. Miss your analysis on this board.

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
Sad to hear about McPhee,in a year with a weak pass rush he was one of our lone bright spots albeit like I said in a year with a bad pass rush all together.

Given how much Harbs praised Jaylen Ferguson after the game, and how well a few other guys have been playing in the "next man up" roles...Im not sure we make any sort of drastic move right now.

Have seen several reports in past few days that the Falcons are shopping Vic Beasly, but I'm pretty sure he is in a contract year and doubt we would want to give up more picks for another rental situation player. As good as Peters has played this year so far and with Marlon Humphrey approaching contract territory, I feel like Peters will end up making big bucks on the open market, we all know how highly teams value good CBs like him and will pay them accordingly.

Perhaps we bring back Shane Ray and see what he can do given snaps or look at other veteran free agents. But I think with the addition of a healthy Jimmy Smith on defense I think we just give our young guys a chance to step up barring another unexpected trade or FA signing.

Its the Patriots though, if we beat them we will be making the statement of the year, while the Texans just lost a divisional game, the Chiefs lost Mahomes for probably atleast a month or more even though they say he could've back in as soon as 3 weeks you don't rush your franchise QB back like that.

The time is now for the Ravens. If we could trade for a player using a mid round pick/ late round pick or package including picks from next year's draft I think if the right player were available Decosta will find a way to get it done. Rather have players you know their worth as opposed to drafting a player that takes time to develop or potentially not work out *cough* Bowser

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
You're not even going to make a dent on the patriots without a pass rush. I think EDC will pull out all the stops to get us a pass rusher of above average quality before the deadline.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ferguson didn't impress me. He seems to get smothered after the initial push back and doesnt have that extra gear of moves or quickness.

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
The Hayden Hurst problem.

Was watching the show with Cris Carter and Nick Wright this morning (First things first?) And CC mentioned how when Mark Andrews was playing so poorly yesterday the back up TE tried to persuade Harbs to put him in but got waived off by Harbaugh.

Didn't see this during the game but I'm assuming it must have been Hayden Hurst trying to get in the game.

Ugh. Why couldn't we have just drafted Calvin Ridley with that pick man. Whyyyy?!?! We took Hurst and have gotten absolutely zero out of him so far. We refuse to dial up plays for him consistently, he is clearly our back up TE maybe even 3rd string as much snaps as we see Boyle play, and we even offered him in a trade and you have to wonder how horrible that must make Hurst feel given his potential/draft status.

Hate to say it, but dude is looking like a bust, unless we use him more...which why the hell are we not using him more? Or perhaps we trade him before the deadline but hard to trade a player who doesn't get used.

TE is always a weird position that takes a long time for players to develop, but after that ugly performance by Andrews and given what we invested on Hurst it's time to start him in Andrews place and give him as many targets as possible to see what this dude's got. It will put a fire under Andrews and inevitably force him to work harder and play harder.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor

Was watching the show with Cris Carter and Nick Wright this morning (First things first?) And CC mentioned how when Mark Andrews was playing so poorly yesterday the back up TE tried to persuade Harbs to put him in but got waived off by Harbaugh.

Didn't see this during the game but I'm assuming it must have been Hayden Hurst trying to get in the game.

Ugh. Why couldn't we have just drafted Calvin Ridley with that pick man. Whyyyy?!?! We took Hurst and have gotten absolutely zero out of him so far. We refuse to dial up plays for him consistently, he is clearly our back up TE maybe even 3rd string as much snaps as we see Boyle play, and we even offered him in a trade and you have to wonder how horrible that must make Hurst feel given his potential/draft status.

Hate to say it, but dude is looking like a bust, unless we use him more...which why the hell are we not using him more? Or perhaps we trade him before the deadline but hard to trade a player who doesn't get used.

TE is always a weird position that takes a long time for players to develop, but after that ugly performance by Andrews and given what we invested on Hurst it's time to start him in Andrews place and give him as many targets as possible to see what this dude's got. It will put a fire under Andrews and inevitably force him to work harder and play harder.

If we were going the TE route my two favorites were Dallas G and Andrews
If we were going lets build the best offensive line in football route, it would have been hernandez

all this is in print on the thread here so...

in sami we trust.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor

and no

1 bad game doesnt do that. Andrews is so much better than hurst. One bad game? hurst had plenty of chances but he doesn't get seperation like andrews

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
and no

1 bad game doesnt do that. Andrews is so much better than hurst. One bad game? hurst had plenty of chances but he doesn't get seperation like andrews
There is not enough tape on Hurst given his injury plagued first season and Mark Andrews rise and chemistry with Lamar Jackson to say Andrews is head and shoulders above Hurst. Andrews simply stepped up and played well and developed instant chemistry with Lamar in Lamar's first year, given how much Lamar likes to throw to TEs.

Hurst just simply got buried on the depth chart due to injury and how things worked out with Andrews. But again clearly our front office knows we have to get something out of our former 1st round pick.

Obviously we will need all hands on deck against the undefeated Pat's in 2 weeks, but Andrews played like crap yesterday plain and simple. Rain or no rain not like it was flooding and storming out there, dude's got to catch those clearly catchable balls. He looked more like he was choking yesterday than just making simple wet hands misses. Also not the first game we have seen Andrews drop passes. He is a good TE no doubt but we can't afford another game like that against NE.

And we all know the Ravens history with butter finger receivers against the Pats.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
and no

Andrew is better but I dont know about the Hurst getting plenty of chances part. I think its obvious that Roman just like using Andrews the most but I think Hayden Hust has been solid so far. I love Greg Roman but i would like to see the passing game have a but more diversity. I think Hayden Hurst , Willie Snead and etc should be more productive in the passing game.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Agree, however nick wright is the worst guy to ever listen to about anything

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
Andrew is better but I dont know about the Hurst getting plenty of chances part. I think its obvious that Roman just like using Andrews the most but I think Hayden Hust has been solid so far. I love Greg Roman but i would like to see the passing game have a but more diversity. I think Hayden Hurst , Willie Snead and etc should be more productive in the passing game.
Hurst just got buried on the depth chart plain and simple. Injured year 1, got healthy and then battled hamstring injuries this offseason while Andrews continued to show out. But it's hard to get targets when you are at best 2nd string. Given Andrews case of the dropsies yesterday and a bye week, I would dial up a lot of plays for Hurst against the Patriots, not just little outs or short to intermediate routes I would send him down the middle of the field and see what he can do. The Patriots will be keying on Andrews anyway, perfect time to get Hurst going.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

It was nick Boyle he was referring to and I don’t think he was crying for targets I think it was just a coincidence that Boyle was raising hell after andrews dropped one

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
Agree, however nick wright is the worst guy to ever listen to about anything
Not a fan of him either, dude is probably gonna move to China as much as his boyfriend Lebron has been supporting them lately.

He had nothing but good things to say about Lamar Jackson this morning though. But I was moreso referencing CCs comments about our backup TEs "Put me in coach!" comments during the game yesterday. Don't care for a show that is clearly knocking off ESPNs First take with that title. That's like if FS1 came out with a 24hour sports highlight show called "Game center" 'This is game center!' Lol