• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
eyJwaWQiOiJSTEpYMzdZOCIsImV2ZW50X25hbWUiOiJIT1UtMjAyMCIsImhhc2giOiJhODIyNTk3N2IzMmI3ZjRlODdhYTZhYTlmNDRlYWY3MDNlMTE4YjVlYTAxODEzZWM4MzE5YWQ1ZWM3NmUwMmRmIn0

I remember looking at a Steelers board after the Elam pick and they were angry/envious about the pick. I don't watch film (or even college football) so I don't have a perspective on why that miss was so bad, but we were pretty desperate for a safety at the time. It was also a later pick than Perriman, whom even I could point to as having an unacceptable characteristic in a receiver, so I'd tend to put Elam behind that.

But wow - Ozzie had a lot of spectacular early round misses late in his tenure. Can't complain at all about mid-late rounds, but early - wow. Too early to tell just how well EDC has done with drafting, but the remainder of the personnel changes (Ingram, Thomas, Peters and even the trade of Vedvik, who I think just signed with the Bills), has been nothing short of A+.

That’s over-egging it a bit his first round picks this decade have been on the whole pretty excellent:

Jimmy Smith
Matt Elam
CJ Mosley
Beshad Perriman
Ronnie Stanley
Marlon Humphrey
Hayden Hurst + Lamar Jackson

He’s picked 3 guys in his last 3 years who just made the all-pro team and in 2014 he picked someone who made multiple 2nd team all-pros while he was with us

It looked like he might have lost it for a little bit and then he closed it out with some pretty great picks

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
He’s picked 3 guys in his last 3 years who just made the all-pro team and in 2014 he picked someone who made multiple 2nd team all-pros while he was with us

It looked like he might have lost it for a little bit and then he closed it out with some pretty great picks

That's a really good point. A lot of people were down on the Stanley and Humphrey picks at the time. In hindsight, there's no one in the draft that was likely a better fit here than Stanley. Same with, at that pick, Humphrey. Just stellar. And no complaints about Hurst even with him taking a back seat to MAndrews. I was doing backflips when we picked Lamar.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
That's a really good point. A lot of people were down on the Stanley and Humphrey picks at the time. In hindsight, there's no one in the draft that was likely a better fit here than Stanley. Same with, at that pick, Humphrey. Just stellar. And no complaints about Hurst even with him taking a back seat to MAndrews. I was doing backflips when we picked Lamar.
Stanley was a no-brainer pick and that holds with all the hindsight. By far the best tackle prospect since Tyron Smith (I'd argue Stanley was always better than him in run game) and to this day.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Stanley was a no-brainer pick and that holds with all the hindsight. By far the best tackle prospect since Tyron Smith (I'd argue Stanley was always better than him in run game) and to this day.
It's baffling how little Ronnie is talked about in the media. It's always Tyron this, Trent that. Stanley is the best LT in the league.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
That’s over-egging it a bit his first round picks this decade have been on the whole pretty excellent:

Jimmy Smith
Matt Elam
CJ Mosley
Beshad Perriman
Ronnie Stanley
Marlon Humphrey
Hayden Hurst + Lamar Jackson

You say this decade, but his final draft was 18 and instead of “this decade” let’s use his final decade, and include first picks as well..

This includes Michael oher, Sergio kindle, and Courtney upshaw. Definitely feels worth mentioning. And when you add second round picks the list gets REALLY ugly.

there have been worse gms for sure lol, but Ozzie had a lot of inexcusable picks over the last ten years of his career and I fully believe that with this Eric decosta leading the war room the ravens would’ve been a far better team over that span

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’ll say that both Stanley and Lamar I liked, up until right before The picks lol. Stanley I was mocking to us for a long time and was getting shit for it, a rumor about him being lazy started swirling all over and I bit on it, but still liked the pick and hoped the rumors weren’t true.

Stanley or tunsil felt like the best options, because there were possible sexier options but nothing made more sense than a LT, we desperately needed one and thank god that was our pick, because we’d be a different team without him

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'd add Arthur Brown into the mix.
I can't be that down on the Kindle pick because the injury was after the draft.
I definitely agree about Correa. Drafting a WR (Perriman) that high when he was known for dropping the ball is inexcusable, but that Correa pick is just so devastating, considering that it seemed to be an astonishing reach and seeing how others available then turned out.
Perriman, Brown was a 2nd round pick

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
You say this decade, but his final draft was 18 and instead of “this decade” let’s use his final decade, and include first picks as well..

This includes Michael oher, Sergio kindle, and Courtney upshaw. Definitely feels worth mentioning. And when you add second round picks the list gets REALLY ugly.

there have been worse gms for sure lol, but Ozzie had a lot of inexcusable picks over the last ten years of his career and I fully believe that with this Eric decosta leading the war room the ravens would’ve been a far better team over that span
Upshaw was 2nd round pick after trade back.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It's baffling how little Ronnie is talked about in the media. It's always Tyron this, Trent that. Stanley is the best LT in the league.
bigger markets and the Tyron was is understandable. Dallas is the "supposed americas" team. We all have to bow to them.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
In case anyone wants to know how much money you'll need for a potential AFC Championship Game.......

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/documents/tickets/Seating-Diagram-PSL-Season-Tickets.pdf

The price jump from a Divisional Round Game to the AFC Championship Game is absolutely ridiculous. I mean to sit in the 500 section is $200+, near $500 just to sit on the lower level. That is crazy, but also I will be crazy enough to buy tickets for this on Monday or Tuesday so guess I'm the crazy one lol.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Guys....I'm getting hype so I think I'm getting drunk alone tonight.

Can we just win the whole damn thing already
I'm going all out drunk tomorrow prior to the game. For 2 reasons. One is to save me if its a close game and two to help me yell, scream and celebrate if we win by my predicted score 41-13!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m inviting some of my more rowdy friends over tonight, first time I’ve all these assholes at my house together, I’m a little worried...

But they’re bringing bud instead of liquor, so it shouldn’t be too crazy lmao

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’m inviting some of my more rowdy friends over tonight, first time I’ve all these assholes at my house together, I’m a little worried...

But they’re bringing bud instead of liquor, so it shouldn’t be too crazy lmao
well atleast you won't be sent to the pit of misery

rossihunter2

Staff Member

all i was illustrating is that impression exists and lingers despite the fact that he closed out with some pretty good drafts and some pretty great first round picks... not pretending that those picks didnt happen