• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Obviously Matthew Judon benefited from our scheme and the amount of times we blitzed (55% per PFF) Something to consider that is really important. He had 62 pressures, but 35 of the pressures came unblocked or were cleanup pressures.

i flip flopped all season but i really think it would be a mistake to re-sign him for the money he'll inevitably get on the open market

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i flip flopped all season but i really think it would be a mistake to re-sign him for the money he'll inevitably get on the open market
at this point, I'm in agreement with you. I also have flip flopped all season. We should get a 3rd round comp pick for him if he can friggin stay healthy, unlike CJ. One way I'd be ok signing him is if we franchised him.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Given how historically good this team was this season in terms of DVOA, it's absurd to think how much better this offence could become (obviously also worse) - i really hope we go out and get another wr (or 2) to push this passing game to the next level
That’s why I’m a big believer in improving the offense more rather than try to fix a defense for the sake of the offense. We see how historic the offense can be. We’ve also seen how good the defense is when the offense is great. I say further improve this offense like the Chiefs did. Don’t sacrifice the defense but don’t neglect your strength.
I wasn't replying to your post with that intent. It was my general take on the thread/notion that Marlon isn't all that great.
Marlon is pretty great and our best CB. I think he’ll do even better next year when he can focus on the boundary more.
at this point, I'm in agreement with you. I also have flip flopped all season. We should get a 3rd round comp pick for him if he can friggin stay healthy, unlike CJ. One way I'd be ok signing him is if we franchised him.
I don’t think Judon is worth #1 pass rusher money. I like him because I think he brings a great complement but I never saw him as the super threatening edge defender. He’s a great Robin that we’ve searched years for across from Suggs but he isn’t Batman. We need Batman before we need Robin.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean I legit think ZDS would’ve made this team complete this year... I don’t think we are sitting here wishing we beat the titans if we had him he has been that good and not one of us saw it coming
we all saw the improvement he had last year, but youre right, none of us saw him having the year he just had. No way did I feel he was worth 16.5 avg. That turned out to be a deal.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean I legit think ZDS would’ve made this team complete this year... I don’t think we are sitting here wishing we beat the titans if we had him he has been that good and not one of us saw it coming
we all saw the improvement he had last year, but youre right, none of us saw him having the year he just had. No way did I feel he was worth 16.5 avg. That turned out to be a deal.
Smith is the rare exception of us letting a guy go in FA who improved after he left. That said, Smith had a better final year than Judon. Smith got pressure himself and was able to beat guys more than Judon has. Smith also finished better. The difference between them was Smith wasn’t as complete as Judon at the time. Smith also moved around a lot on the formation than Judon who is more of your edge guy. Smith is essentially McPhee without the injuries.

I don’t think Judon will be as good if he leaves here, unlike Smith.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
Smith is the rare exception of us letting a guy go in FA who improved after he left. That said, Smith had a better final year than Judon. Smith got pressure himself and was able to beat guys more than Judon has. Smith also finished better. The difference between them was Smith wasn’t as complete as Judon at the time. Smith also moved around a lot on the formation than Judon who is more of your edge guy. Smith is essentially McPhee without the injuries.

I don’t think Judon will be as good if he leaves here, unlike Smith.
I agree with you but now it messes with my head lol

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
mine too - but hopefully not the front office's
EDC's got this and I think the entire front seven needs reworking so it may not be a bad thing that the next couple years we will lose both Pierce and BWill. Pierce this free agency period and next year we will save 10m if we cutt BWill.

ZDS year is why many people want to keep Judon. It's a case of the FOMOs. Not making the big plays when we need him, poorly timed penalties. Let him go, draft edge high and get Suggs back for next year and hope Fergurson improves.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Playing the titans in reg season next season is not a revenge game at all. Its not gonna change the fact that they beat our ass.. the win or loss isnt gonna prove a single thing

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Playing the titans in reg season next season is not a revenge game at all. Its not gonna change the fact that they beat our ass.. the win or loss isnt gonna prove a single thing

except it will be a revenge game - doesnt matter that its outside the playoffs and doesnt matter that the game is nominally less important and no it doesnt change the fact that they threw us out of the playoffs - but it will still be an opportunity to exorcise some demons

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Yea, I'm not understanding why anyone wants him back, especially on the tag. It's time to say bye.

The Ravens have been searching for a every down outside linebacker since Terrell Suggs has been apart of their team or should I say since Jarrett Johnson has departed. Out of all the higher drafted edge rusher they have drafted only Matt Judon has answered the bill and I think he was drafted in the fourth or fifth round. Judon can cover, set the edge to defend against the run, and etc to go alone with his ability to get after the passer. Those type of edge rushers don't necessarily grow on trees and aren't always easy to find or develop. Tyus Bowser and Jaylon Ferguson struggled at times to do what Judon could do on a consistent basis outside of getting to the quarterback. If Judon end ups becoming too expensive then I can understand The Ravens not re-signing him but ultimately I think it's major priority to re-sign Judon. He is pretty important and I don't think it's realistic to expect The Ravens to draft a rookie edge rusher that can handle the sam linebacker position right out of the gate. Maybe Bowser and Ferguson can take the next step but we saw what happened last year when The Ravens gambled on their young guys and decided not to bring back their own.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The Ravens have been searching for a every down outside linebacker since Terrell Suggs has been apart of their team or should I say since Jarrett Johnson has departed. Out of all the higher drafted edge rusher they have drafted only Matt Judon has answered the bill and I think he was drafted in the fourth or fifth round. Judon can cover, set the edge to defend against the run, and etc to go alone with his ability to get after the passer. Those type of edge rushers don't necessarily grow on trees and aren't always easy to find or develop. Tyus Bowser and Jaylon Ferguson struggled at times to do what Judon could do on a consistent basis outside of getting to the quarterback. If Judon end ups becoming too expensive then I can understand The Ravens not re-signing him but ultimately I think it's major priority to re-sign Judon. He is pretty important and I don't think it's realistic to expect The Ravens to draft a rookie edge rusher that can handle the sam linebacker position right out of the gate. Maybe Bowser and Ferguson can take the next step but we saw what happened last year when The Ravens gambled on their young guys and decided not to bring back their own.
this is very well said, but I can't really agree with you that Judon sets the edge very well. Other than that, I agree with you.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I think Judon will command more money in FA than we are willing to pay. I'm not worried about him departing given how well Wink and the FO rebuilt the DEF beginning with the injuries around week 3 or so. I see them drafting a LB or another CB early and relying on their expertise of drafting mid-round gems for the Off and Def lines. I mean Judon himself was a 5th rounder... That is a replaceable spoke in the wheel or cog in the machine, imo. The FA money it would take to keep him could be better utilized with other FA's, imo, also.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Haven't been online since Saturday.....what did I miss?

Also, I've noticed an influx of anti-Ravens posters recently....has/is anything being done about that? If other teams' fans want to come in here and have respectable football discussions then that's fine, but if they're coming in here to troll then they need to GTFO.