• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Damn I had no idea he had gone through all this.

Was just coming here to share this. BR.com has an article as well

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/new...ck-bottom-of-his-depression-attempted-suicide

this stuff is no joke people. I know a lot of people like to act like mental illness isn’t serious, and “suck it up” or “be a man” or “think positive” is all you need, but that needs to change. I’ve made small mentions of myself having gradually worsening mental health over the last 2 years, but the only one who really knows the depth of it is my wife and to a lesser extent my mom, because it’s not easy to open up about this kind of thing. I hope like hell hurst has gotten over the hump and is living okay now because poor mental health is something I wouldn’t wish on anyone

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Was just coming here to share this. BR.com has an article as well

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/new...ck-bottom-of-his-depression-attempted-suicide

this stuff is no joke people. I know a lot of people like to act like mental illness isn’t serious, and “suck it up” or “be a man” or “think positive” is all you need, but that needs to change. I’ve made small mentions of myself having gradually worsening mental health over the last 2 years, but the only one who really knows the depth of it is my wife and to a lesser extent my mom, because it’s not easy to open up about this kind of thing. I hope like hell hurst has gotten over the hump and is living okay now because poor mental health is something I wouldn’t wish on anyone
I totally agree. Mental illness is generally scoffed at and even ridiculed but for the folks going through that it is hell. Nobody either cares to understand or understands what they're really going through. It is treatable just like diabetes and hypertension are, but one must go through the treatment and stick to it. God knows with mental illness, to admit one to treatment is very hard to begin with and then to stick to a plan is quite another. There is constant turmoil for loved ones hoping each day gets better. Please accept that mental illness is real and there is nothing the one that suffers from it did to deserve it. It is just chemical imbalances in their brain that causes it. I am so proud that Hurst has opened up, because more often than not, that is the start of recovery. I wish you the best @JoeyFlex5 and we're all with you.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hurst is becoming one of my new favorites. He catches everything. Does the dirty work. I hope we use him more next season.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I totally agree. Mental illness is generally scoffed at and even ridiculed but for the folks going through that it is hell. Nobody either cares to understand or understands what they're really going through. It is treatable just like diabetes and hypertension are, but one must go through the treatment and stick to it. God knows with mental illness, to admit one to treatment is very hard to begin with and then to stick to a plan is quite another. There is constant turmoil for loved ones hoping each day gets better. Please accept that mental illness is real and there is nothing the one that suffers from it did to deserve it. It is just chemical imbalances in their brain that causes it. I am so proud that Hurst has opened up, because more often than not, that is the start of recovery. I wish you the best @JoeyFlex5 and we're all with you.
Thanks a lot for that, it’s definitely hard to begin treatment because honestly it’s scary, taking what everybody tells you is just you being sad or lazy or angry or shitty and taking off work and racking up medical bills for it, you feel like you’re making too big a deal of it and basically it’s getting too real, I’m very close to seeking professional help but I keep holding out hope that I’ll push through it on my own, but I digress...

The chemical imbalance thing is key, that’s what so many people who are in perfect mental health don’t understand, my whole in-law family ugh, some “think positive, you feel this way because of your negative energy!” Ass people, all of them, I say anxiety and they think “anxious” lol, I’ve given up hope with those pricks, there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance in your brain if you ask them smh.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Thanks a lot for that, it’s definitely hard to begin treatment because honestly it’s scary, taking what everybody tells you is just you being sad or lazy or angry or shitty and taking off work and racking up medical bills for it, you feel like you’re making too big a deal of it and basically it’s getting too real, I’m very close to seeking professional help but I keep holding out hope that I’ll push through it on my own, but I digress...

The chemical imbalance thing is key, that’s what so many people who are in perfect mental health don’t understand, my whole in-law family ugh, some “think positive, you feel this way because of your negative energy!” Ass people, all of them, I say anxiety and they think “anxious” lol, I’ve given up hope with those pricks, there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance in your brain if you ask them smh.
@JoeyFlex5 just go with treatment and you'll feel miles better. It is simple chemistry my friend. Just treat it with some minor meds and a therapist. No big deal. As for your in-laws they're just ignorant. So you ignore the ignorant because tutoring them is an exercise in futility and may not be worth it. Good luck.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Take one day at a time and do whatcha gotta do. Good luck.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
@JoeyFlex5 just go with treatment and you'll feel miles better. It is simple chemistry my friend. Just treat it with some minor meds and a therapist. No big deal. As for your in-laws they're just ignorant. So you ignore the ignorant because tutoring them is an exercise in futility and may not be worth it. Good luck.
Yeah I’m getting to that point. Money and time is really tight for me but at some point I gotta put shit like work aside for a day or 2 and take care of myself

Tank

Hall of Famer
Yeah I’m getting to that point. Money and time is really tight for me but at some point I gotta put shit like work aside for a day or 2 and take care of myself
Do what you gotta do to be well brah, can't discount your health. Find someone you are comfortable with and work it out.

Eddie

Practice Squad
Any thoughts?

https://russellstreetreport.com/2020/02/20/hot-take-thursday/ravens-should-trade-up-for-stud-wr/

Tyreek Hill = Hollywood Brown

Travis Kelce = Mark Andrews

Sammy Watkins = Miles Boykin or Tee Higgins or Denzel Mims?

Patrick Mahomes = Lamar Jackson

Damian Williams = Mark Ingram

Mecole Hardman = Henry Ruggs or Jalen Reagor?

Seth Roberts and Chris Moore are both free agents and therefore likely both will be gone. In my opinion, I would only trade up for Henry Ruggs if Denver passes on him at 15 in the first round.

Jalen Reagor or Denzel Mims may require trading up to the top of the second round.

Hollywood wasn't even 100% and is a 1st round talent. Give him time to develop his routes and add more muscle mass! Tyreek Hill was a 5th round punt returner who developed into a top flight WR.

Mark Andrews has the talent to reach Travis Kelce levels of performance. Naturally gets open and is only 23! Pound for pound, Andrew's career is off to a better start than Kelce's. Unfortunately most teams are now double teaming him as everyone knows he is Lamar's first read. This opens up more opportunities for Hayden Hurst!

Yes Boykin is a stretch comparing to Sammy Watkins, hence drafting a quality 1st or 2nd rounder (Ruggs, Reagor, Mims or Higgins etc). Also pairing Lamar with a top flight veteran may add pressure to a young QB whose current weakness is outside the numbers passing.

Adding quality WR play to this offense would truly be borderline unfair. Is Mark Ingram going to pound it up the middle? Is Lamar going to keep on the edge running 4.3? Is Hollywood going to stretch the field running sub-4.3? Are the TE's going shred between the numbers? If there are speedsters at all receiving positions, what do the safety's do when you also have to worry about Lamar and the run game, but also getting beat deep?

The Rams had the unstoppable offense the year before until Belichick laid the blueprint out in the Superbowl. As Harbaugh stated, "if you're not getting better, you're getting worse".

Hopefully EDC and G-Ro double down, adapt to build a team who can come from behind and cash in on Lamar's rookie contract!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Any thoughts?

https://russellstreetreport.com/2020/02/20/hot-take-thursday/ravens-should-trade-up-for-stud-wr/

Seth Roberts and Chris Moore are both free agents and therefore likely both will be gone. In my opinion, I would only trade up for Henry Ruggs if Denver passes on him at 15 in the first round.

Jalen Reagor or Denzel Mims may require trading up to the top of the second round.

Hollywood wasn't even 100% and is a 1st round talent. Give him time to develop his routes and add more muscle mass! Tyreek Hill was a 5th round punt returner who developed into a top flight WR.

Mark Andrews has the talent to reach Travis Kelce levels of performance. Naturally gets open and is only 23! Pound for pound, Andrew's career is off to a better start than Kelce's. Unfortunately most teams are now double teaming him as everyone knows he is Lamar's first read. This opens up more opportunities for Hayden Hurst!

Yes Boykin is a stretch comparing to Sammy Watkins, hence drafting a quality 1st or 2nd rounder (Ruggs, Reagor, Mims or Higgins etc). Also pairing Lamar with a top flight veteran may add pressure to a young QB whose current weakness is outside the numbers passing.

Adding quality WR play to this offense would truly be borderline unfair. Is Mark Ingram going to pound it up the middle? Is Lamar going to keep on the edge running 4.3? Is Hollywood going to stretch the field running sub-4.3? Are the TE's going shred between the numbers? If there are speedsters at all receiving positions, what do the safety's do when you also have to worry about Lamar and the run game, but also getting beat deep?

The Rams had the unstoppable offense the year before until Belichick laid the blueprint out in the Superbowl. As Harbaugh stated, "if you're not getting better, you're getting worse".

Hopefully EDC and G-Ro double down, adapt to build a team who can come from behind and cash in on Lamar's rookie contract!

you'll find advocates for adding speed all over this board especially in the draft section

the comparisons only really work up to a point - philosophically its not that we need to replicate KC man for man at the skill positions but more that we need to continue to compete with them in the weapons arms race and take note of the speed component in their offence...

from what i can tell right now there is absolutely no way a guy like jalen reagor makes it even close to the end of the 2nd round - he might go before we pick in the first - i love mims a lot and he's a great fit would far more likely be available

henry ruggs is going to be gone well before we pick and the draft capital we'd need to spend to go and get him would be inordinate especially if as is possible he goes and breaks the 40 record at the combine - and would completely go against the draft philosophy and analytics that have worked for DeCosta the last few years where compiling picks and large draft classes is important - we're far more likely to trade down

what you're suggesting in that KC comparison is that we spend potentially all our top draft capital on WRs which is untenable and for me unless a guy like Ruggs makes it out of the top 20 its not going to be worth it expending extra picks to go up to grab a WR in this class because of how historically deep this WR class is

right now on my board I've got 16 WRs who all have day 2 or higher grades on them - it's possible that some teams will have 20-22 (according to daniel jeremiah and others) - highly graded receivers are going to fall into day 3 based on that depth alone - there's no need to over-spend to grab a complementary guy

I think we should grab a receiver somewhere on day 1 or 2 but im not going to spend extra to get one

that being said i fully support the idea of continuing to add speed to this offence

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Any thoughts?

We aren't inferior to KC on the offensive side, our issue is defense, DL/edge in particular. That said, I wouldn't mind improvement over Boykin, Roberts and Moore but would rather take Mims than another speedster.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Any thoughts?

Jalen raegor is a perfectly acceptable first round pick and frankly we might not even get a shot to make that pick, raegor is exceptionally explosive and in far more than just straight speed, he can leap out of the stadium, he changes direction so suddenly and violently that you wonder how he isn’t dislocating his hips and ankles lol, and he is stellar with the ball in his hand.

and if raegor fails to put it together as a wr which i find basically impossible, at the very least you’re getting what would probably end up the best return man in the league, which is also a big draw for me, because I think a big time return man is a massive need for us and ripping off a return to the 40 every now and then with the way we demoralize teams could be a game changer

rossihunter2

Staff Member
and if raegor fails to put it together as a wr which i find basically impossible, at the very least you’re getting what would probably end up the best return man in the league, which is also a big draw for me, because I think a big time return man is a massive need for us and ripping off a return to the 40 every now and then with the way we demoralize teams could be a game changer

as a returner he's electric although i do worry about him putting the ball on the ground sometimes

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
as a returner he's electric although i do worry about him putting the ball on the ground sometimes
That’s always been maybe the most fixable of bad traits though, and harbaugh has typically been great about coaching that out of guys through his whole time here. We’ve had a number of guys with fumbling problems who ended up doing ok

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That’s always been maybe the most fixable of bad traits though, and harbaugh has typically been great about coaching that out of guys through his whole time here. We’ve had a number of guys with fumbling problems who ended up doing ok

i mean looking at our returners the last couple of years i wouldnt say they've been great at fielding those punts tbh - never given me confidence that they would catch the ball cleanly