• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Haha. Boldin is a given. He can’t be mad at that. I can see a case for him over SS. But steve smith just got that dawg in him. Everyone remembers that

But actually he has a right to be mad. Mason was a Raven much longer than those guys and was pretty productive before Joe Flacco came on the scene. Him and Flacco had great chemistry. Like I never seen that same chemistry replicate it self with Anquan Boldin and Steve Smith Sr.

Those guys were fun to watch play but Boldin gets much of his love for how he played during The Ravens super bowl run in 2012 and Steve Smith gets his for not only his playmaking ability but his memorable attitude and outspoken ways. None of them had back to back 1000 receiving yards like Mason did with Flacco or as a Raven.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
As much as I love SSS, Mason should've been selected over him. The consistency was there for Mase. Never missed a game from '05 to '10 as a Raven. If we're talking NFL careers, I'd obviously take SSS, but Mason should've been chosen alongside Q for Ravens greatest WRs in franchise history and I'm not even sure it's close. He was snubbed and I don't blame him at all for being mad.

As much as I love SSS, Mason should've been selected over him. The consistency was there for Mase. Never missed a game from '05 to '10 as a Raven. If we're talking NFL careers, I'd obviously take SSS, but Mason should've been chosen alongside Q for Ravens greatest WRs in franchise history and I'm not even sure it's close. He was snubbed and I don't blame him at all for being mad.
Hey buddy how’s your summer going?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Hey buddy how’s your summer going?
Hey brotha! Just trying to stay safe, working from home right now but getting cabin fever lol. What about you? You staying safe?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

So Mase is pretty mad that all the young bandwagon Lamar fans dont know who he is and voted Boldin and SS better.

Damn this hurt my heart. I commented on the post too that Derrick mason was absolutely snubbed as was Matt Flynn and Trevor pryce, and I said not enough first generation ravens fans were voting

Hey brotha! Just trying to stay safe, working from home right now but getting cabin fever lol. What about you? You staying safe?
We’re trying. I took a little trip last week to see a famous waterfall. Had a great time. You expect to be working from home for a long time? Yep staying safe, you doing good so far?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
But actually he has a right to be mad. Mason was a Raven much longer than those guys and was pretty productive before Joe Flacco came on the scene. Him and Flacco had great chemistry. Like I never seen that same chemistry replicate it self with Anquan Boldin and Steve Smith Sr.

Those guys were fun to watch play but Boldin gets much of his love for how he played during The Ravens super bowl run in 2012 and Steve Smith gets his for not only his playmaking ability but his memorable attitude and outspoken ways. None of them had back to back 1000 receiving yards like Mason did with Flacco or as a Raven.
Mason had a 100 catch season with Kyle fucking boller, nuff said

JO_75

Hall of Famer

So Mase is pretty mad that all the young bandwagon Lamar fans dont know who he is and voted Boldin and SS better.

I'd put Mason and Boldin for the receivers. All the recency bias, these new Madden fans who spam the hell out of Lamar's 98 speed rating lol. Its like putting Jacoby over Jermaine for Returner, recency bias man lol.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Elliot will be a core special teamer, and probably FS2 to ET. I recall seeing packages where he was the lone deep safety with both ET and Clark playing under before he got hurt.
Jimmy Smith will probably be the Swiss Army knife. Playing CB and SS for whichever packages wink dials up. I would love to see Jimmy on Kelce and all the other top TEs we face.

I’m just a Deshon’s Stan holding out hope that him and Marlo is the next great safety-corner duo lol.

View attachment 2459

I think you're right about jimmy - he's going to be a matchup weapon who we can use in different ways against certain options on the other team's offence to eliminate that threat while you let the other 3 corners do their job

you're remembered right about elliott getting on the field in certain packages - he will get snaps as the 3rd safety just like he did the game after tony jefferson went down (and elliott looked phenomenal in that game before he got rolled up on) - and him being able to be on the field in that role will allow chuck to play the dime role that he played last year on 3rd downs and in obvious passing situations - fully expect to see deshon play a lot if he's healthy

but you're also right about special teams and that really shouldnt be underrated on this team given our heritage within that unit and the sub-par performance by that unit last year - deshon elliott is one of our better special teams players too - will be a boost there

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Haha. Boldin is a given. He can’t be mad at that. I can see a case for him over SS. But steve smith just got that dawg in him. Everyone remembers that

i think the thing about SSS is that he in that 2015 season before he went down was performing at the highest level - a nearly league leading level - mason was the go to target for multiple ravens QBs and put up those 1000 yd seasons but the highs of Boldin and SSS are hard to argue with

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Recency bias is a thing unfortunately. Flacco could probably feel aggrieved too

i mean sure but tbh it all kinda depends on how you judge it - no QB in ravens franchise history including flacco has ever had a season like lamar had last year - that high is outrageous and the closest joe got was that 4 game stretch in the playoffs which was also amazing tbf but i can see why lots of people would put lamar in there - he's got accolades that already surpass joe's entire career as a ravens QB - the only thing joe has is that superbowl MVP (which is obviously important but does it supercede all the other accomplishments lamar's had so early in his career)

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i mean sure but tbh it all kinda depends on how you judge it - no QB in ravens franchise history including flacco has ever had a season like lamar had last year - that high is outrageous and the closest joe got was that 4 game stretch in the playoffs which was also amazing tbf but i can see why lots of people would put lamar in there - he's got accolades that already surpass joe's entire career as a ravens QB - the only thing joe has is that superbowl MVP (which is obviously important but does it supercede all the other accomplishments lamar's had so early in his career)
I gotta disagree with you on this one and i actually wasnt as big on flacco as everyone else.. take away flacco SB and he is still ahead of lamar. Flacco won atleast one playoff game every time we entered the playoffs. Yea lamar had a great season but he didnt top it off with anything. Only people that would put lamar over flacco are the new fans, which is ok but he flacco is suppose to be Ravens all time Qb and thats not even a debate. This is coming from someone who thinks flacco was never an above avg qb

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i think the thing about SSS is that he in that 2015 season before he went down was performing at the highest level - a nearly league leading level - mason was the go to target for multiple ravens QBs and put up those 1000 yd seasons but the highs of Boldin and SSS are hard to argue with
lets not act like mason was the only target on the ravens, Todd Heap was the guy who was “force fed” receptions(as evidenced by the numerous injuries he received catching balls that clearly should’ve never been thrown). Derrick mason was just THAT great at getting loads of separation at any point in the route, he was the easiest target, always. Derrick mason pre-2010 was hands down the best receiver the ravens have ever had. His highs were higher than boldins and lasted longer.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
which is obviously important but does it supercede all the other accomplishments lamar's had so early in his career)
I think it does, at least right now. I have a feeling Lamar will soon cement himself as the Ravens all time QB, but right now Joe's Super Bowl run puts him at the top.