• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

This pic could be part of one of those 2020 memes, lol

Pff has an intro for every video they upload and it’s the same soundbites over some music, and I love how the whole offseason they had the sound bite where Sam monson said “you ever think maybe the reason they’re doing that is because you’re joe Flacco?” Which was in reference to flacco post game complaining about not taking shots lmao

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Isn't it kind of amazing how bad the Devante Parker draft class for receivers turned out be? They were all so hyped up, but it just never panned out.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Isn't it kind of amazing how bad the Devante Parker draft class for receivers turned out be? They were all so hyped up, but it just never panned out.

i mean there were a ton of misses but there were some pretty good hits too:

Amari Cooper
Devante Parker
Tyler Lockett
Jamison Crowder
Stefon Diggs (remember when people laughed at him saying that he was the best receiver in the draft class...)
?Darren Waller? (does he count given that he didnt do it with his original team or his original position???)

but yeah there were a lot of receivers drafted who didnt just not pan out to the level expected but the vast majority flamed out completely

tbf i'd say it was also one of the least hyped receiver classes - 2014 class was pretty insane and then this 2020 class was hyped up too all around and I personally loved the 2019 class also but i dont remember 2015 being particularly well regarded outside of Amari Cooper and Kevin White and Devante Parker at the top...

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

Amari Cooper
Devante Parker
Tyler Lockett
Jamison Crowder
Stefon Diggs (remember when people laughed at him saying that he was the best receiver in the draft class...)
?Darren Waller? (does he count given that he didnt do it with his original team or his original position???)

but yeah there were a lot of receivers drafted who didnt just not pan out to the level expected but the vast majority flamed out completely

tbf i'd say it was also one of the least hyped receiver classes - 2014 class was pretty insane and then this 2020 class was hyped up too all around and I personally loved the 2019 class also but i dont remember 2015 being particularly well regarded outside of Amari Cooper and Kevin White and Devante Parker at the top...

Yeah you hit the nail on the head of everyone who actually made a name for themself out if that draft class. I guess I was more pointing out that the top part of that class didn't really pan out, but as you just showed some of the later round guys were actually pretty great. Kevin White has gotta be the biggest bust though right? Even worse then Perriman.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah you hit the nail on the head of everyone who actually made a name for themself out if that draft class. I guess I was more pointing out that the top part of that class didn't really pan out, but as you just showed some of the later round guys were actually pretty great. Kevin White has gotta be the biggest bust though right? Even worse then Perriman.

oh for sure - i think the 2015 class was notable all around for being low on talent overall and that didnt exclude the WR position

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Amari Cooper
Devante Parker
Tyler Lockett
Jamison Crowder

The 2015 class is forever #blessed

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I never got the hype around Kevin white, when I saw his 40 time I thought he was gonna be top 5, not quite but close, but I thought he was bound to bust, I didn’t see shit on tape, he wasn’t even special as a catcher, didn’t use his size at all, he was just really unimpressive to me. I actually thought going into the draft that he and breshad perriman were basically clones, they were identical on film, but after a deeper dive I actually thought perriman was better by a solid margin, I thought he high pointed much better and also felt like he used his hands to get off of press much better.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I never got the hype around Kevin white, when I saw his 40 time I thought he was gonna be top 5, not quite but close, but I thought he was bound to bust, I didn’t see shit on tape, he wasn’t even special as a catcher, didn’t use his size at all, he was just really unimpressive to me. I actually thought going into the draft that he and breshad perriman were basically clones, they were identical on film, but after a deeper dive I actually thought perriman was better by a solid margin, I thought he high pointed much better and also felt like he used his hands to get off of press much better.

To he honest I generally agreed with you in the past that White really wasn't as great as people said he was going to be, but by no means did I think he was going to bust to the point of literally not even having a career.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This is obviously nonsense and I'm just asking for fun. Imagine Lamar has like a 15 or so tear career where he's pretty dominant like we've seen. He wins some playoff games but never gets a Superbowl. In that scenario, do you think he could make it into the HoF? If you think no, how many Superbowls do you think it would take?

Simba

Staff Member
dont forget houston - they dont have a 1st rounder or a 2nd rounder in the 2021 draft either

a0e06336a008dad0a9dfb8c859857831.gif

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is obviously nonsense and I'm just asking for fun. Imagine Lamar has like a 15 or so tear career where he's pretty dominant like we've seen. He wins some playoff games but never gets a Superbowl. In that scenario, do you think he could make it into the HoF? If you think no, how many Superbowls do you think it would take?

winning a superbowl as a QB doesnt seem crucial to getting in albeit it might soon become important that way

- dan fouts never even reached a superbowl let alone won one
- jim kelly went to 4 superbowls but lost all 4
- dan marino never won one either
- Warren Moon never won one as a player either (did technically win one as a broadcaster for the seahawks in 2014 though lol)
- Fran Tarkenton never won a superbowl

phillip rivers might be a good test of that when he retires though

but so far it seems not important to win a superbowl at all - and there are a number of notable QBs who have only won one also...

i think when thinking about superbowl QBs you have to ask - could this person be regarded as so good at what they do that you can't tell the story of their era of football without mentioning them frequently and often

I obviously hope we win at least 1 superbowl (and hopefully more but let's not get ahead of ourselves) with Lamar at the helm but we're primed for a potentially league and sport-defining rivalry between mahomes and Lamar that could mean both of them make it to the HOF even if Lamar never won a superbowl during that period

that being said i find it hard to believe that if lamar does play that well that we would never win one

it would be hard to justify not including him in the HOF if he has multiple regular seasons that look anything like 2019 (or like how 2020 has started for him)