• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I said last week on my YouTube channel that the only 4 players who are in the running for MVP are Lamar, Mahomes, Rodgers & Wilson. I would be shocked if these weren't the AFC & NFC Championship Games this year. The way Arizona is playing, I could see Murray and company upsetting either the Packers or Seahawks in the playoffs but in the AFC, I think the Steelers are the only competition to our Mahomes vs Jackson AFC Title Game.

I agree. Minshew's stats are right up there with some of the best QBs in the league. In the 14 games he played last year, he had a 21 TD to 6 INT ratio. So far in 2020, he has a 6 TD to 2 INT ratio, putting him at 27 TD to 8 INT for his career through 16 total games. Considering the talent in Jacksonville and all the roster depleting, if the Jags had any more defensive talent, they may have beat the Titans yesterday.

it's very much not about stats with minshew - it's about the general vibe watching him - he's got that maverick gene that makes him fun to watch

JO_75

Hall of Famer
it's very much not about stats with minshew - it's about the general vibe watching him - he's got that maverick gene that makes him fun to watch

I know, I'm just saying his stats are even good and nobody is giving him any respect. Funny how much like Drew Bledsoe getting hurt led to the Brady era, Nick Foles getting hurt paved the way for Minshew Mania.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know, I'm just saying his stats are even good and nobody is giving him any respect. Funny how much like Drew Bledsoe getting hurt led to the Brady era, Nick Foles getting hurt paved the way for Minshew Mania.

draft pedigree dictates so many things - if minshew had been a 1st round pick and was playing like this then the cognoscenti would be thinking the jags were building for the future rather than potentially tanking

minshew has so little around him and he's elevating them into a competitive team - if kyler murray, daniel jones or dwayne haskins were doing that they'd be held up as a messianic figure for their respective franchises

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I still wish that Nuk trade went though if the rumors were real. Looking at the offense, I’m a little worried about Andrews and Hollywood being taken out of the picture by a great defense and what if our rushing attack isn’t on point in the same game especially in the playoffs? I feel like we need one more premier weapon on the outside for Lamar

Simba

Staff Member
He's nothing special, but I feel like Damarious Randall would be a good vet option if we want to look outside of the organization. Experience playing all over the secondary - slot, outside CB, and S. He's best as a S but he could at least fill a variety of roles since depth is getting pretty thin all across our secondary.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I said last week on my YouTube channel that the only 4 players who are in the running for MVP are Lamar, Mahomes, Rodgers & Wilson. I would be shocked if these weren't the AFC & NFC Championship Games this year. The way Arizona is playing, I could see Murray and company upsetting either the Packers or Seahawks in the playoffs but in the AFC, I think the Steelers are the only competition to our Mahomes vs Jackson AFC Title Game.

I agree. Minshew's stats are right up there with some of the best QBs in the league. In the 14 games he played last year, he had a 21 TD to 6 INT ratio. So far in 2020, he has a 6 TD to 2 INT ratio, putting him at 27 TD to 8 INT for his career through 16 total games. Considering the talent in Jacksonville and all the roster depleting, if the Jags had any more defensive talent, they may have beat the Titans yesterday.
I took placed some bets on packers and hawks to sb out of nfc. Us and steelers( i know) out of afc. Fan of murry and got him in all three of my fantasy lgs but i cant see them in nfc ship game. Not this season. Next season yes but its just not enough there this season

Reactions: cdp

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
He's nothing special, but I feel like Damarious Randall would be a good vet option if we want to look outside of the organization. Experience playing all over the secondary - slot, outside CB, and S. He's best as a S but he could at least fill a variety of roles since depth is getting pretty thin all across our secondary.
He isnt with browns anymore?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I still wish that Nuk trade went though if the rumors were real. Looking at the offense, I’m a little worried about Andrews and Hollywood being taken out of the picture by a great defense and what if our rushing attack isn’t on point in the same game especially in the playoffs? I feel like we need one more premier weapon on the outside for Lamar
We have a top 3 TE, a premiere deep threat, an elite qb, and a ridiculous trio of RBs. You honestly couldn’t ask for much more as far as skill positions go. If Snead and duvernay and Boykin combine to be average 3/4 options then our skill position group could be considered among the better groups. And those 3 should combine to be more than average, honestly our skill group looks pretty formidable right now and another premiere player there is honestly asking a lot lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer
We have a top 3 TE, a premiere deep threat, an elite qb, and a ridiculous trio of RBs. You honestly couldn’t ask for much more as far as skill positions go. If Snead and duvernay and Boykin combine to be average 3/4 options then our skill position group could be considered among the better groups. And those 3 should combine to be more than average, honestly our skill group looks pretty formidable right now and another premiere player there is honestly asking a lot lol
I just don’t want another Titans outing in the playoffs where Lamar and Hollywood are the only ones that come to play you know. It just doesn’t seem like Lamar trusts Boykin or Duv yet. Granted, it’s only been two games lol but if we could pry ARob away that would be fantastic

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If you were to ONLY measure Gus’ yardage by the yards he gains from falling forward as he’s going down, he’d probably average 4YPC.

I know that mathematically makes no sense but idgaf. His extra effort lunges as he’s going down are ridiculous, he covers so much extra ground by just falling forward and he’s done it so consistently since his UDFA days

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I just don’t want another Titans outing in the playoffs where Lamar and Hollywood are the only ones that come to play you know. It just doesn’t seem like Lamar trusts Boykin or Duv yet. Granted, it’s only been two games lol but if we could pry ARob away that would be fantastic
The receivers were epically bad in that game, as were the coaches, and Lamar wasn’t too spectacular himself. also the lead back was hurt and for some reason the coaches didn’t trust Gus, something tells me if they’re in the same situation right now, they’d trust Gus, but they wouldn’t even have to because of dobbins.

Also with duvernay I don’t think it’s a trust thing, it’s a coaching and rookie thing, guys like duvernay will be used as the gameplan calls for him, we have too many great players to force feed a rookie who may be a little on the experimental side at this stage, let the stars be stars and use duvernay if he’s on the field and open, I for one expect duvernay come late season to be used quite a bit more than he’s used right now, but I think it’ll be gradual, he went from bubble screen to deep dig in one week, and week 1 he looked like an elite returner. Another consideration is his ability in zone, if Lamar starts ripping big runs and teams are forced to play more zone he may start finding himself open a lot more often and thus targeted more often

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Boykin had 200 and some change yards last year and literally about 20% of that was on one play. Right now he has carved out a small but noticeable role for himself. He's on pace for exactly 600 yards. I think we'll find he ends up with 600 and some change yards. Something tells me this year is going to be solid but unspectacular for him. However, I really think we could see a huge boost in him come year 3. Reason being I think he's a confidence switch and little more practice and coaching away from turning it on. I think this year will give him the coaching and more experience to come in next year as a real veteran and have a great year.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
So we all know Humphrey loves to do his IG live after a road win.

Well...I couldn't help but notice that Boyle got some beef with Marlo about something lmao

rossihunter2

Staff Member

tbf it looked like they were more in sync on sunday - 5 targets, 4 receptions and boykin also had a great block on mark andrews big catch and run

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If you were to ONLY measure Gus’ yardage by the yards he gains from falling forward as he’s going down, he’d probably average 4YPC.

I know that mathematically makes no sense but idgaf. His extra effort lunges as he’s going down are ridiculous, he covers so much extra ground by just falling forward and he’s done it so consistently since his UDFA days

there was that absurd stat in the end of the 2018 season where for almost the entire stretch run he didnt have a single carry for negative yards

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Boykin had 200 and some change yards last year and literally about 20% of that was on one play. Right now he has carved out a small but noticeable role for himself. He's on pace for exactly 600 yards. I think we'll find he ends up with 600 and some change yards. Something tells me this year is going to be solid but unspectacular for him. However, I really think we could see a huge boost in him come year 3. Reason being I think he's a confidence switch and little more practice and coaching away from turning it on. I think this year will give him the coaching and more experience to come in next year as a real veteran and have a great year.
I hope so, Boykin just seems so tentative and timid, like he caught a ball on what I think was a slant(can’t remember) and with a defender bearing down on him, he could’ve hit the gas to try to force a whiff, or lowered the shoulder and initiated, instead he slowed down almost to a stop and let the defender just tackle him, it looked really strange. I’m a little concerned at this point about boykins confidence switch getting flipped.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I hope so, Boykin just seems so tentative and timid, like he caught a ball on what I think was a slant(can’t remember) and with a defender bearing down on him, he could’ve hit the gas to try to force a whiff, or lowered the shoulder and initiated, instead he slowed down almost to a stop and let the defender just tackle him, it looked really strange. I’m a little concerned at this point about boykins confidence switch getting flipped.

just watched the slant play and didnt see that at all - there's a guy tackling him as soon as he catches the ball - he even angled his route at the catch point to take himself more upfield rather than across

Seen him block? He's not timid. Can't remember the specific game but I was pretty pleased with his overall performance. He's already had more than half of last years receptions year in 2 games.