• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I value line a ton don’t get me wrong but I can’t be the only one who thinks investing a high pick in a cb would be bad. I really hope we bring jimmy back but reality is Marlon is the only thing that holds the secondary together at all.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I’d rather pay bud Dupree over either of our free agents not to mention it’d be cheaper. Bud is a full on raven and no chance he stays in Pitt. They extended Hayward this year and have to pay Tj watt 30 mill next year

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We fixed our line in Covid and skuras injury by harbs being forced to play the guys who actually have more talent vs who he just likes. Nepotism often kills this team. Harbs has it for the players and staff. Benching mark Ingram and Sakura made our running game blast off again. Who would have guessed that?? Oh. Every fan on this forum?

i mean the OL wasnt forced to change via covid... they'd already dropped skura for mekari before we got hit by the outbreak
the only thing that was a forced change that they wouldnt have made otherwise (that's worked out for the better) is Powers at RG - looked like he wasnt going to get a sniff at that job while Tyre Phillips was healthy and while Mekari was the 6th OL and yet he's clearly the best RG on the roster right now

Ingram took too long to lose those snaps which is classic Harbs but at least it happened

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Also what’s the likelihood hella star players take a one year rental deal to try and re enter the market on high value? In this case singing a wr comes even harder. But anything else could be a really nice add

i just dont think we'll be involved at the top of the market for any position or player not on our team already - not unless there's a perfect fit at the right price

as @Simba has said many times it's likely the player's "middle class" is gonna get squeezed by the 2021 cap and probably be a lot cheaper than in previous years and that feels like where we'll do the bulk of our work

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know we don’t have pass rushers but idk what the fuck our problem in pass coverage is. I think we truly miss earl way more than people want to admit

i mean pass coverage has been great until every single DB started getting hurt every week - i dont think it's got anything to do with Earl - just about being healthy - right now we've only got 1 corner on the roster who's not on the injury report - jimmy's out this week, marcus peters hasnt been able to practice and averett's literally only just coming back from injury - on top of that devontae harris got hurt this week and tramon williams got hurt only a couple of weeks after joining us - and all of this after we had to put tavon on season ending I/R and then had to I/R our backup, backup, backup corners too in Dorsey and Bonds and Bonds is only just coming back off I/R

we finished the game against the Browns with Anthony Levine, Jordan Richards on the field - Levine who's basically a light-weight linebacker at this point in his career (if he even has a position other than "special teamer" at this point) was playing slot corner to finish that game and Jordan Richards who is literally the last name to come onto the field at DB - he's a quintessential special teams only player

it's no wonder we got carved up in the 4th quarter - we hardly had enough warm bodies to even put guys on the field let alone actually play good coverage

we've got pierre desir on the practice squad who we could call on as well if required but until some of these guys get healthy again the pass coverage is going to continue to melt

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I value line a ton don’t get me wrong but I can’t be the only one who thinks investing a high pick in a cb would be bad. I really hope we bring jimmy back but reality is Marlon is the only thing that holds the secondary together at all.

for sure we're always looking to add more corners - i think it's definitely something we'll be thinking about this year but definitely in 2022 when the situation behind the top 2 corners becomes sketchier and marcus peters suddenly would only have 1 year left on his deal

it's something to consider and corner help is definitely on our wish list - not sure it'll be a position we "target" at the top of the draft but I don't think we're in a position where we'd turn down a great talent at corner for need at another position

it's a fascinating thought to consider going into the 2021 season with Marlon, MP, Jimmy (assuming we re-up with him), Averett, Tavon and a potential high round draft pick (in your scenario) - that would be a lot of talent at corner to go into a season with - 2 of them would be guys who've had injury problems in their career but the talent front to back at the position group would be outrageous in that hypothetical scenario

I wonder if what might be a better "target" need-wise would be a budda baker-esque safety type player or someone of that build or ilk who's a safety/nickel/playmaker hybrid chess piece to add to our weapons on the backend

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’d rather pay bud Dupree over either of our free agents not to mention it’d be cheaper. Bud is a full on raven and no chance he stays in Pitt. They extended Hayward this year and have to pay Tj watt 30 mill next year

i absolutely would not want Dupree over Judon or Ngakoue

Dupree is 100% a stat compiler - sometimes he'll have some good rushes but so many of his sacks and hits are because he's a benefactor of TJ Watt or Cam Heyward absolutely blowing up the play and him coming in late as clean-up crew - so many of his plays in the backfield have been unblocked or vs a RB

he stunts a lot behind Heyward who normally creates the space but also just wins and forces the QB off the spot - the steelers have 100% prioritised the right 2 guys in Heyward and Watt over Dupree...

I would much rather have Judon than Dupree

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wouldnt want either Dupree or Miller. Dont remember the last time Von had a good healthy year.

Allen Robinson is a guy I really want, although idk his availability but I'd imagine he wants out of Chicago after this year.

Also I'm all aboard the draft a CB in round 1. That kid from South Carolina is a straight baller. Not to mention we dont really have anyone who's consistent and reliable behind Humphrey (Peters is pretty streaky tbh). Our major wholes though are def gonna be Pass rush, Oline, and WR in any order. We have flexibility this offseason but I havent really put too much thought into it just yet, seasons far from over lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I wouldnt want either Dupree or Miller. Dont remember the last time Von had a good healthy year.

Allen Robinson is a guy I really want, although idk his availability but I'd imagine he wants out of Chicago after this year.

Also I'm all aboard the draft a CB in round 1. That kid from South Carolina is a straight baller. Not to mention we dont really have anyone who's consistent and reliable behind Humphrey (Peters is pretty streaky tbh). Our major wholes though are def gonna be Pass rush, Oline, and WR in any order. We have flexibility this offseason but I havent really put too much thought into it just yet, seasons far from over lol

yeah Jaycee Horn has flashed big-time this year in college and might be available when we pick (hard to say this early on in the process)

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Also I can’t be the only one super disappointed in yannick. Can we pay him the 20 mil he wants? For what? Shit run d and inability to finish?
My biggest fear is that Judon and yannick drive their sack numbers up against our last 3 shit games
Yannick has always been shit in run d snd thats why i didnt want him. I felt
Like he isnt versatile enough for us. However, we did give up a 3rd and 5th for him right? would that force us to sign him?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
f5ff5bda522d25d59215ee07b6527233.jpg
SUSSSS

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think everyone on these boards pretty much understands that we could grab a cb early any given year, because it’s probably the single most important position to this team.

we’ve now seen that Lamar can basically carry our offense with zero help on a good day(shouldn’t count on it, but he’s capable) but there is no fixing our defense once any of the top 3 cbs go down

Simba

Staff Member
Not gonna go back and quote it because PPB went on a rampage, but if there is one place that I'd definitely try to upgrade the secondary, it's with a S/slot/playmaker should one be available. A Tyrann Mathieu or Budda Baker type if one exists. Elliott has been alright but there have definitely been some issues with him and I think he's best suited as a 3rd S going forward if you can upgrade. Having that chess piece that you can move around would be so big for this secondary. Marlon has kind of taken up that role to an extent, but if you can let him feast elsewhere, we'd be absolutely dominant.