• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I can’t believe we lost to this bum ass team not just once but twice

Honestly think we would have won the covid game if we’d played Huntley because they’re really struggling against the read option
and I can't believe why the Colts are winning so many games. Rivers can barely throw the ball for more than 10 yards. Steelers better show up on sunday

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

Honestly think we would have won the covid game if we’d played Huntley because they’re really struggling against the read option

Any option would have been better than RG3.....dude killed our offense for almost the entire game before we finally put in Trace.

I definitely have no faith that Shitsburgh wins another game this season. I guess maybe if Rivers decides to play Santa and start handing out presents to their defense then they might have a shot at beating the Colts, but they've been exposed as the frauds that they are. Really hope that Vegas can come through and beat Miami because that might be our best chance at the playoffs, at this point.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I agree, I said it on game day, nobody gives us a chance except for Huntley, because he has game breaking running ability and that was enough to lean on to hope to steal a win from Pitt with our practice squad. Huntleys running ability is in fact special, he’s not nearly the passer Lamar is but we clearly didn’t need that, just speed to break contain a few times and get us in fg range on a few more occasions.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree, I said it on game day, nobody gives us a chance except for Huntley, because he has game breaking running ability and that was enough to lean on to hope to steal a win from Pitt with our practice squad. Huntleys running ability is in fact special, he’s not nearly the passer Lamar is but we clearly didn’t need that, just speed to break contain a few times and get us in fg range on a few more occasions.
@Deebo813 and I said RG3 is trash more than a year ago and people didn't agree. RG3 is very likeable and a great person, but he's done as a football player. Idk if Huntley is better than Trace. Preseason games in 8 months will tell.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think bens elbow is a problem, I think everything is finally catching up to him and his arm is just done, he’s throwing horribly lately, no drive, no placement, touch is erratic, I think he either comes to grips and retires this year, or he returns next season for the ugliest performance of his career and eliminates any doubt as to whether or not he can still play. That is definitely the vibe I’m getting.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
and I can't believe why the Colts are winning so many games. Rivers can barely throw the ball for more than 10 yards. Steelers better show up on sunday

biggest pro bowl snub was deforest buckner - they've got a defence full of all-pro calibre talent and some offensive weapons and a head coach with a really good offensive scheme

just like the chargers, they're winning in spite of rivers

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
It would be insane if the Browns go 12-4, Steelers 11-5, and Ravens 11-5 and we miss the playoffs. I'll actually be livid because the NFL league wide has had such a down year and we were no exception. This really could have been our chance to do something big, but instead we spent the first 2 thirds of the year being anemic on offense and just when we've started to put that together, been unhealthy on defense. Health of the defense aside, it showed up too late where we didn't even control our own destiny. Like for fucks sake those steelers losses keep me up at night. They're awful.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@Deebo813 and I said RG3 is trash more than a year ago and people didn't agree. RG3 is very likeable and a great person, but he's done as a football player. Idk if Huntley is better than Trace. Preseason games in 8 months will tell.

idk if he's better than trace right now but he's a better fit for this offence already and it was promising to see how much tighter his release is already after less than 6 months of work

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think bens elbow is a problem, I think everything is finally catching up to him and his arm is just done, he’s throwing horribly lately, no drive, no placement, touch is erratic, I think he either comes to grips and retires this year, or he returns next season for the ugliest performance of his career and eliminates any doubt as to whether or not he can still play. That is definitely the vibe I’m getting.

we could have told you that months ago - there's a reason their offence looks like drew brees's saints offence but somehow even more constrained

big ben is turning down mid-range throws to throw more difficult short passes - i think you're right his arm is done - it's not like he's misreading those high-low concepts after 25,000 years in the league, he just knows he cant make those throws right now

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It would be insane if the Browns go 12-4, Steelers 11-5, and Ravens 11-5 and we miss the playoffs. I'll actually be livid because the NFL league wide has had such a down year and we were no exception. This really could have been our chance to do something big, but instead we spent the first 2 thirds of the year being anemic on offense and just when we've started to put that together, been unhealthy on defense. Health of the defense aside, it showed up too late where we didn't even control our own destiny. Like for fucks sake those steelers losses keep me up at night. They're awful.

we turned it on 1 game too late and then had the outbreak compound the earlier problems

the pats loss looms super-large but so does the 4th quarter collapse against the titans

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
we turned it on 1 game too late and then had the outbreak compound the earlier problems

the pats loss looms super-large but so does the 4th quarter collapse against the titans

That's exactly right. We got beat by the chiefs no questions about it, but we really beat ourselves against the steelers, pats, and titans. I give our second go at the steelers a break. Those collapses were why I was saying we might just be a losing mentality football club. We don't ever close tight games out and we never come from behind. That fortunately looks to be changing. Lamar has helped in that department a couple of times this year which he hasn't done previously. Unfortunately it all came on as you said 1 game too late.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I can’t even hang on the Titans loss, they’re just a damn good offense, they’re every bit as difficult to stop as the chiefs when they show up.

that said, I want another crack at those motherfuckers, if we get in there we’re going on a revenge tour, the only team I think is beating us if we get in the dance is the chiefs, the way this team has broke out has me feeling VERY confident about them if they make it to January

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I can’t even hang on the Titans loss, they’re just a damn good offense, they’re every bit as difficult to stop as the chiefs when they show up.

that said, I want another crack at those motherfuckers, if we get in there we’re going on a revenge tour, the only team I think is beating us if we get in the dance is the chiefs, the way this team has broke out has me feeling VERY confident about them if they make it to January

it almost feels a little like we're the 2020 version of the titans

CanadianRavensFan

Practice Squad
Why would that matter? There's no difference between 2, 3 or 4 seeds. Buffalo is likely only to play players if they have a shot at the #1 seed.
While the #2 no longer gets a bye there are still a couple of advantages to it over the 3 or 4.
A) not having to travel until the AFC Championship. While home field might not mean much this season not having to travel across country is still a huge advantage in the playoffs
B) Avoiding KC until the AFC Championship
C) Maybe buffalo prefer to play whoever gets in as the 7 over the 5 or the 6

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Idk if we actually turned it on or we have just played bad teams.

we played bad teams earlier in the year and the offence looked stale

it looks to me like we've adapted to the loss of boyle well now - not sure that the passing game is gonna always look like it did against the jags but the running game looks dangerous again (similar to 2019)

giants, ironically, might be a good test this week of whether this is an aberration - the giants suck but their defence has been decent and has been in and around that top 10-12 in most statistical categories

rossihunter2

Staff Member
While the #2 no longer gets a bye there are still a couple of advantages to it over the 3 or 4.
A) not having to travel until the AFC Championship. While home field might not mean much this season not having to travel across country is still a huge advantage in the playoffs

teams wont admit it but avoiding the chiefs will definitely weigh into decision making

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
True, though couple factors I'd point out...
1. I'm not sure that Buffalo being at home in the playoffs is ideal, given how they operate. Historically pretty terrible weather in January in Buffalo, and while I don't think they'll necessarily struggle with it, Buffalo isn't built like a normal Bills team. I'm not convinced they're going to be nearly as effective on offense in bad weather, and they're susceptible to being run on also. Like if I'm Buffalo, I probably don't want to play the Ravens or the Browns in the snow in Buffalo.
2. Its unlikely they'll know any seeding in the wildcard rounds until after their final game is played, so they likely don't have the luxury of "picking their opponent". Playoff seeding in the AFC in general, outside of maybe some clinched spots, is unlikely to be resolved before week 17. That final weekend is going to solve all of that.
3. I'm double checking my scenarios, but with a 7 team playoff, I'm pretty sure its impossible for either the #2 or the #3 seeds to play the #1 seed prior to the AFC title game. Obviously at #2 its impossible, but as the # 3 seed, they'd be matched up with #6 in the wildcard round. If they win that, then by definition, either the #4 or #5 seed would have to win, meaning a lower seeded team will have to win a game. That team would advance to play KC, unless #7 wins.

So basically, the only divisional round opponents possible for the #3 seed to play would be #4, #5, or #2. They couldn't play #7 or #1 in the divisional round.

As far as I can tell, if both Buffalo and KC win in week 16, KC will lockup the #1 seed, and Buffalo will be locked into either #2 or #3, regardless of what happens in week 17. At that point, if I'm them, I'm not playing starters very long. And if they get the #2, it would be very possible that their week 17 opponent, which is Miami, is the team they'd see in the the wildcard round anyway. So that's even less incentive to "show your hand".