• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Don't know if this has been mentioned. It hit me that if we don't make playoffs, there's probably a damn good chance Roman is given another year to prove himself. If we made it and the offense struggled like years past, could see him gone. If we miss all together could easily see Greg retained. I'm all for letting Lamar do Lamar, but we need to improve in the passing game, and keeping him in this kind of offense seems bad for his development.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
i mean the OL wasnt forced to change via covid... they'd already dropped skura for mekari before we got hit by the outbreak
the only thing that was a forced change that they wouldnt have made otherwise (that's worked out for the better) is Powers at RG - looked like he wasnt going to get a sniff at that job while Tyre Phillips was healthy and while Mekari was the 6th OL and yet he's clearly the best RG on the roster right now

Ingram took too long to lose those snaps which is classic Harbs but at least it happened
Agree but it also included the forced shifting of even putting Patrick at right tackle for a minute. He’s so versatile and useful. I’d extend him while cheap like Chuck Clark. Give him a few million a year in a signing bonus cuz he didn’t get draft money and at worst he’s an incredible 6th lineman, which is basically a starter in the Nfl

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
i absolutely would not want Dupree over Judon or Ngakoue

Dupree is 100% a stat compiler - sometimes he'll have some good rushes but so many of his sacks and hits are because he's a benefactor of TJ Watt or Cam Heyward absolutely blowing up the play and him coming in late as clean-up crew - so many of his plays in the backfield have been unblocked or vs a RB

he stunts a lot behind Heyward who normally creates the space but also just wins and forces the QB off the spot - the steelers have 100% prioritised the right 2 guys in Heyward and Watt over Dupree...

I would much rather have Judon than Dupree
Everyone always talks about Pitts ability to scout an developed wrs but damn pass rushers too. They always have d line studs that make their meh talent everywhere else look elite

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agree but it also included the forced shifting of even putting Patrick at right tackle for a minute. He’s so versatile and useful. I’d extend him while cheap like Chuck Clark. Give him a few million a year in a signing bonus cuz he didn’t get draft money and at worst he’s an incredible 6th lineman, which is basically a starter in the Nfl
A bit premature on an extension for Mekari. I get the sentiment, but like he's only in his 2nd year. He's still under team control for 2021, and he's a a restricted FA after that. Once he gets RFA status, he can make a couple million a year based on tender.

They extended Clark towards the end of year 3, but only because he wasn't going to be an RFA, since he was a drafted player.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

id happily give him the james hurst contract or something in that range for a player who we dont ideally want to be starting but would be fine if that happened for a whole season (not just a few games)

but im not doing that until at least the end of his 3rd year and tbh we can just wait until his contract is over to do it - if he costs more then he'll contribute to the comp pick formula anyway

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Everyone always talks about Pitts ability to scout an developed wrs but damn pass rushers too. They always have d line studs that make their meh talent everywhere else look elite

i mean this year's front - the lowest drafted player in that front was the 56th pick in the draft - you could say it's scouting and developing or you could say it was spent capital

Heyward 1st round pick
Tuitt 2nd round pick
Alualu 1st round pick (not by them)
TJ Watt 1st round pick
Bud Dupree 1st round pick

even javon hargrave who they just lost to free agency was a 3rd round pick

not sure who else would even count in the last decade or so

JO_75

Hall of Famer
i mean this year's front - the lowest drafted player in that front was the 56th pick in the draft - you could say it's scouting and developing or you could say it was spent capital

Heyward 1st round pick
Tuitt 2nd round pick
Alualu 1st round pick (not by them)
TJ Watt 1st round pick
Bud Dupree 1st round pick

even javon hargrave who they just lost to free agency was a 3rd round pick

not sure who else would even count in the last decade or so

They also hired Alabama's Defensive Line coach for the same position which greatly improved their line play. When was the last time we invested in those positions in the first round?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They also hired Alabama's Defensive Line coach for the same position which greatly improved their line play. When was the last time we invested in those positions in the first round?

we've spent a couple of 2nd round picks: Tyus Bowser in 2017, Kamalei Correa in 2016, Timmy Jernigan in 2014, Courtney Upshaw in 2012 (35th pick - nearly a 1st rounder lol)

lots of 3rd round picks: Madubuike, Jaylon Ferguson, Chris Wormley, Tim Williams, Bronson Kaufusi, Carl Davis, Brandon Williams

we've certainly had a fair few goes with day 2 picks (with varied success)

but you're right...

the last time we spent a 1st round pick on a defensive tackle was Haloti Ngata in 2006
the last time we spent a 1st round pick on an EDGE was Terrell Suggs in 2003

it's been a while lol (partly because sizzle was around so long)

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Im not even tripping no more.. no way in hell we miss offs and when we do make it, we will likely be the underdogs every game.. i might go bankrupt these playoffs
Yes way in hell there's a really good possibility that we miss the playoffs even if we win out.

In the early 2010s, their pass-rush was relatively mediocre. I believe they still had a top 5/10 defense in terms of yards and points allowed, but I don't remember them having a great pass-rush. It was like that up until 2017-ish IIRC.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
We drafted the better Kentucky olb.

Then didn't keep him. Watching Smith kill it in GB while we still struggle to get sacks hurts, but happy for his success.

Reactions: cdp

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Then didn't keep him. Watching Smith kill it in GB while we still struggle to get sacks hurts, but happy for his success.
Tbf, I don't think we had the cap space to retain him. I can't speak for you, but I always felt that ZDS was going to be yet another Ravens defender who priced himself out of Baltimore only to underwhelm after receiving said fat contract.

Proven wrong as I'm also happy for him. Also happy for our resident Packer fan, @Ice Bowl .

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Tbf, I don't think we had the cap space to retain him. I can't speak for you, but I always felt that ZDS was going to be yet another Ravens defender who priced himself out of Baltimore only to underwhelm after receiving said fat contract.

Proven wrong as I'm also happy for him. Also happy for our resident Packer fan, @Ice Bowl .
He’s been the exception and probably will be for a long ass time. I don’t see Judon or Bowser having the same success

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Don't know if this has been mentioned. It hit me that if we don't make playoffs, there's probably a damn good chance Roman is given another year to prove himself. If we made it and the offense struggled like years past, could see him gone. If we miss all together could easily see Greg retained. I'm all for letting Lamar do Lamar, but we need to improve in the passing game, and keeping him in this kind of offense seems bad for his development.
I don’t think I can take another year of GRo. I want either Kubiak or a young, offensive guru, if Harbaugh’s ego allows for it

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Speaking of coordinators, I’d bet a lot of money that Wink is a head coach next year. Who the hell is in-house that can replace him?

Simba

Staff Member

It's weird because I didn't expect ZDS to be as good as he is in GB, but you could also see signs of it here so it's also not too surprising. Not sure there was a guy in the league that had as many near sacks as he did in his last couple of years here. Always got pressure but he apparently learned how to finish in GB.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Pitt might have spent a lot of 2nd rounders on their front; but we did that with our 2nd and 3rd rounders and literally all of them have busted bad. Besides bowser who is good finally in his final year but no one has even closely matched their potential

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
we've spent a couple of 2nd round picks: Tyus Bowser in 2017, Kamalei Correa in 2016, Timmy Jernigan in 2014, Courtney Upshaw in 2012 (35th pick - nearly a 1st rounder lol)

lots of 3rd round picks: Madubuike, Jaylon Ferguson, Chris Wormley, Tim Williams, Bronson Kaufusi, Carl Davis, Brandon Williams

we've certainly had a fair few goes with day 2 picks (with varied success)

but you're right...

the last time we spent a 1st round pick on a defensive tackle was Haloti Ngata in 2006
the last time we spent a 1st round pick on an EDGE was Terrell Suggs in 2003

it's been a while lol (partly because sizzle was around so long)
Exactly we did get a few decent players and Brandon Williams was good but literally no pash rushers have panned out for us besides Judon but even then he’s about good for one sack to every 15 yard penalty lol