• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
True, though couple factors I'd point out...
1. I'm not sure that Buffalo being at home in the playoffs is ideal, given how they operate. Historically pretty terrible weather in January in Buffalo, and while I don't think they'll necessarily struggle with it, Buffalo isn't built like a normal Bills team. I'm not convinced they're going to be nearly as effective on offense in bad weather, and they're susceptible to being run on also. Like if I'm Buffalo, I probably don't want to play the Ravens or the Browns in the snow in Buffalo.
2. Its unlikely they'll know any seeding in the wildcard rounds until after their final game is played, so they likely don't have the luxury of "picking their opponent". Playoff seeding in the AFC in general, outside of maybe some clinched spots, is unlikely to be resolved before week 17. That final weekend is going to solve all of that.
3. I'm double checking my scenarios, but with a 7 team playoff, I'm pretty sure its impossible for either the #2 or the #3 seeds to play the #1 seed prior to the AFC title game. Obviously at #2 its impossible, but as the # 3 seed, they'd be matched up with #6 in the wildcard round. If they win that, then by definition, either the #4 or #5 seed would have to win, meaning a lower seeded team will have to win a game. That team would advance to play KC, unless #7 wins.

So basically, the only divisional round opponents possible for the #3 seed to play would be #4, #5, or #2. They couldn't play #7 or #1 in the divisional round.

As far as I can tell, if both Buffalo and KC win in week 16, KC will lockup the #1 seed, and Buffalo will be locked into either #2 or #3, regardless of what happens in week 17. At that point, if I'm them, I'm not playing starters very long. And if they get the #2, it would be very possible that their week 17 opponent, which is Miami, is the team they'd see in the the wildcard round anyway. So that's even less incentive to "show your hand".

Meh I don’t like the show them your hand argument. IMO you knock out your division rival and not give them momentum. I can’t back this up in any way but I strongly feel there is a bad history for the higher seeded team if you let in another team to play them the next week

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Meh I don’t like the show them your hand argument. IMO you knock out your division rival and not give them momentum. I can’t back this up in any way but I strongly feel there is a bad history for the higher seeded team if you let in another team to play them the next week
Maybe. I'd have to look it up.

If it were me, I'd much rather face Miami than Baltimore or Cleveland. I guess matchup wise it would depend on Indy vs Miami.

And while I think the media and some fans overblow the "guys could get injured" concept, it would be a pretty epic failure to have a stud player on your team face a significant injury in week 17, when all you're trying to do is stop the other team from getting into the playoffs, as opposed to having any impact on your seeding.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
F3BE1FE8-B363-477E-972A-08B49324931B.jpeg

pardon the n bomb I didn’t make it just shared it lmfao

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It would be insane if the Browns go 12-4, Steelers 11-5, and Ravens 11-5 and we miss the playoffs. I'll actually be livid because the NFL league wide has had such a down year and we were no exception. This really could have been our chance to do something big, but instead we spent the first 2 thirds of the year being anemic on offense and just when we've started to put that together, been unhealthy on defense. Health of the defense aside, it showed up too late where we didn't even control our own destiny. Like for fucks sake those steelers losses keep me up at night. They're awful.
have 3 teams in a division ever finished 11-5 or better. I don't think that's ever happened.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Old news but Jarvis called MP a coward lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer

CanadianRavensFan

Practice Squad
True, though couple factors I'd point out...
1. I'm not sure that Buffalo being at home in the playoffs is ideal, given how they operate. Historically pretty terrible weather in January in Buffalo, and while I don't think they'll necessarily struggle with it, Buffalo isn't built like a normal Bills team. I'm not convinced they're going to be nearly as effective on offense in bad weather, and they're susceptible to being run on also. Like if I'm Buffalo, I probably don't want to play the Ravens or the Browns in the snow in Buffalo.
2. Its unlikely they'll know any seeding in the wildcard rounds until after their final game is played, so they likely don't have the luxury of "picking their opponent". Playoff seeding in the AFC in general, outside of maybe some clinched spots, is unlikely to be resolved before week 17. That final weekend is going to solve all of that.
3. I'm double checking my scenarios, but with a 7 team playoff, I'm pretty sure its impossible for either the #2 or the #3 seeds to play the #1 seed prior to the AFC title game. Obviously at #2 its impossible, but as the # 3 seed, they'd be matched up with #6 in the wildcard round. If they win that, then by definition, either the #4 or #5 seed would have to win, meaning a lower seeded team will have to win a game. That team would advance to play KC, unless #7 wins.

So basically, the only divisional round opponents possible for the #3 seed to play would be #4, #5, or #2. They couldn't play #7 or #1 in the divisional round.

As far as I can tell, if both Buffalo and KC win in week 16, KC will lockup the #1 seed, and Buffalo will be locked into either #2 or #3, regardless of what happens in week 17. At that point, if I'm them, I'm not playing starters very long. And if they get the #2, it would be very possible that their week 17 opponent, which is Miami, is the team they'd see in the the wildcard round anyway. So that's even less incentive to "show your hand".
All very true, in fact if I was Buffalo I would do the job week 17 because I think that Baltimore is a terrible match up for them. .But just to play devils advocate.
1. While the bills have a terrible running game they drafted Josh Allen because of his arm strength so I would assume that they are less worried about the snow and wind than any team that has to go into Buffalo. The bills run defense is definitely suspect but I think that poor weather would help them a little by allowing them to crowd the line of scrimmage and not worry about any deep shots. If I'm Buffalo I definitely prefer the idea of play Tennessee in Buffalo over playing them in Nashville.
2. While it might not be possible to know for sure who you play in the playoffs after week 16 with the schedules for indy, the titans, Ravens and dolphins they should have a good idea of where each team finishes
3. Absolutely correct but you have to assume that you are going to win wildcard weekend and then the question becomes would you rather play the divisional round in Buffalo possibly in front of the bills mafia or do you want to go on the road and play Tennessee in front of their fans

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I hate seeing playoff scenarios where everyone else can clinch if we lose but yet we can't clinch a playoff spot yet. We can help Washington clinch the NFC East by beating the Giants.

The Steelers beating the Colts gives them the division no matter what. Hopefully that gives them enough motivation to show up for 60 minutes against the Colts. Can the Jets pull out another miracle against Cleveland?

I liked last year better when we had things wrapped up already lol.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I can’t believe we lost to this bum ass team not just once but twice

Honestly think we would have won the covid game if we’d played Huntley because they’re really struggling against the read option
It would've been a blowout if we don't turn the ball over at all. The headlines after the game would've been glorious.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I hate seeing playoff scenarios where everyone else can clinch if we lose but yet we can't clinch a playoff spot yet. We can help Washington clinch the NFC East by beating the Giants.

The Steelers beating the Colts gives them the division no matter what. Hopefully that gives them enough motivation to show up for 60 minutes against the Colts. Can the Jets pull out another miracle against Cleveland?

I liked last year better when we had things wrapped up already lol.
Like you KNOW it's 2020 when the Steelers are our last hope.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Saw this on Reddit... the QB who leads the league in passing yards leader has never won a Super Bowl in 54 previous attempts. Either the team lost in the playoffs, missed the playoffs or lost the Super Bowl.

The last QB who led the league in passing and appeared in a Super Bowl, Tom Brady in 2017 but the Pats lost to the Eagles. You then have to go back to 2013 where Peyton Manning led the league in passing, but lost in a blowout to the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

Mahomes is likely to lead the league in passing this year so Mahomes may break it with a Super Bowl repeat.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
New Falcons GM will be able to choose to keep Matt Ryan and Julio Jones according to Falcons President Rich McKay said.

Julio has a $23M cap hit in 2021. We would have to give him an extension to lower it but at that price tag we we wouldn't have to give up a high pick.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
New Falcons GM will be able to choose to keep Matt Ryan and Julio Jones according to Falcons President Rich McKay said.

Julio has a $23M cap hit in 2021. We would have to give him an extension to lower it but at that price tag we we wouldn't have to give up a high pick.
I'm not sure why people keep thinking trading Julio is an option. Financially, I'm not sure it is. He has a fully guaranteed $15.3M salary for next season, which the Ravens almost certainly wouldn't be able to afford to pay. Plus, if they trade him before June 1st (wouldn't understand the point of trading him after June 1st), you basically get no cap savings. In fact, you lose about $500K.

Basically the cost to keep him is the same as they cost to trade him for 2021. There's no savings to be had.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I will say though... it would be the most Browns thing ever to miss out on the playoffs.

Say everybody holds serve this weekend (Colts, Dolphins, Browns, Ravens all win). That means that the week 17 game for Browns/Steelers is for the division title, AND, if the Colts, Dolphins and Ravens all win in week 17, a Browns loss to the Steelers would not only knock them from the division crown, but it would knock them from the playoffs entirely.