• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It's weird because I didn't expect ZDS to be as good as he is in GB, but you could also see signs of it here so it's also not too surprising. Not sure there was a guy in the league that had as many near sacks as he did in his last couple of years here. Always got pressure but he apparently learned how to finish in GB.

it definitely helped him to finish that he started playing a lot more on the edge vs the interior where the required change of direction isn't so extreme when the QB moves in the pocket - i genuinely think it could be as simple as that

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don’t think I can take another year of GRo. I want either Kubiak or a young, offensive guru, if Harbaugh’s ego allows for it
Hey Jaam. Neither do I. Our best hope is that a College hires Roman. I'm not sure I want Kubiak back, we need a creative OC no matter how old he is and he has to run a modern style offense. Kafka from KC, Mike McDaniel (49ers) are potential targets.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Speaking of coordinators, I’d bet a lot of money that Wink is a head coach next year. Who the hell is in-house that can replace him?
I'd take that bet. If he didn't get a gig last year, I'm not sure what's changed this year to make you think he will.

He also really doesn't fit the mold of what teams are looking for as a HC.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Hey Jaam. Neither do I. Our best hope is that a College hires Roman. I'm not sure I want Kubiak back, we need a creative OC no matter how old he is and he has to run a modern style offense. Kafka from KC, Mike McDaniel (49ers) are potential targets.
I personally can’t think of an OC who would be better for this offense than kubiak

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I personally can’t think of an OC who would be better for this offense than kubiak

i agree with @cdp - Kubiak's offence runs so many zone concepts in the running game and is predicated off playaction boots in the passing game which takes away 2 of our biggest strengths on offence... the ability of our OL to pull in the same way, and lamar is at his worst as a passer when his back is turned to the defence

i dont mind the idea of changing OC or even offensive system but im not bringing in kubiak who just is not a fit with lamar

JAAM

Hall of Famer
i agree with @cdp - Kubiak's offence runs so many zone concepts in the running game and is predicated off playaction boots in the passing game which takes away 2 of our biggest strengths on offence... the ability of our OL to pull in the same way, and lamar is at his worst as a passer when his back is turned to the defence

i dont mind the idea of changing OC or even offensive system but im not bringing in kubiak who just is not a fit with lamar
You don’t think he could cater to Lamar’s strengths? He definitely did that with Flacco. I’d like to think he’s creative.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I like those names. I’d also be willing to bet a lot of money that GRo is still here next season, however

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I don’t think I can take another year of GRo. I want either Kubiak or a young, offensive guru, if Harbaugh’s ego allows for it
Keep in mind that our running game has done very well in the last few games albeit against some bad defenses. I don't think Harbs fires a guy who has a running game in the top 3 (IIRC) of the league.

i do not want kubiak
Neither do I. I don't want him to have HC aspirations after succeeding with us again.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like those names. I’d also be willing to bet a lot of money that GRo is still here next season, however
I think its extremely likely that both coordinators return. I haven't really seen any reason for John to fire Roman, and unless he gets HC interviews, which he might, I suspect they'll all return.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Keep in mind that our running game has done very well in the last few games albeit against some bad defenses. I don't think Harbs fires a guy who has a running game in the top 3 (IIRC) of the league.

Neither do I. I don't want him to have HC aspirations after succeeding with us again.
Kubiak will be 60 next year and has a history of health issues. I don't think he'll be a HC ever again.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You don’t think he could cater to Lamar’s strengths? He definitely did that with Flacco. I’d like to think he’s creative.

but what's the point in bringing an OC here, famous for 1 scheme, to not use that scheme here?

kubiak and flacco were a great fit - their strengths meshed well

and im all for being creative but it'd basically be asking kubiak to completely change for lamar which completely negates the benefit of bringing in kubiak in the first place

what is it about kubiak's offence that people specifically liked here?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think roman's done really well since the bye week tbh - offensive problems have not been playcalling related since at least the bye (and probably somewhat before it too)

offensive issues have been predominantly execution-based - it's notable that as soon as the OL has started playing better and Lamar started feeling it again (post-covid) the whole offence has started to function far better

now there have been a few designs and personnel things that have changed during this period too, we've adapted for the loss of boyle, dobbins has taken over lead-back duties and we've seen some slightly different looks like those 2-back sets with dobbins and gus

but for the mostpart the offence hasnt dramatically changed - the players are just executing better

so if i'm honest i dont really see why roman shouldnt be back next year

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Since Lamar has returned from Covid, he has played much better. Last 3 games, Ravens are 4th in pass yards per attempt. Lamar in the last 4 weeks 9.2 pass yards per attempt. That puts him in second only to Ryan T. His completion percentage in the last 4 weeks has him at 71.4% which is 3rd behind only Rodgers and Watson.

Rushing? It's up to 7.9 yards per attempt now.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Speaking of coordinators, I’d bet a lot of money that Wink is a head coach next year. Who the hell is in-house that can replace him?
I don't think that's going to happen. Most teams want the next great offensive minded coach, but that's just my opinion. I do think he has the right idea as he wanted to bring in Brady to run the offense if he was hired as head coach in the offseason.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i think roman's done really well since the bye week tbh - offensive problems have not been playcalling related since at least the bye (and probably somewhat before it too)

offensive issues have been predominantly execution-based - it's notable that as soon as the OL has started playing better and Lamar started feeling it again (post-covid) the whole offence has started to function far better

now there have been a few designs and personnel things that have changed during this period too, we've adapted for the loss of boyle, dobbins has taken over lead-back duties and we've seen some slightly different looks like those 2-back sets with dobbins and gus

but for the mostpart the offence hasnt dramatically changed - the players are just executing better

I believe he will be back also and I'm not sure it's best for Lamar's development if he is back. That being said, I'd rather see how he calls games to finish the season and the playoffs, if we make it there.

I did say earlier in the year that we weren't playing as good because of two really big things. We didn't have the same offseason so the chemistry just wasn't there and our offensive line hadn't come together yet. Now that Skura is finally not playing center and Powers is playing right guard we are doing much betteer.

Simba

Staff Member

Agreed 100% here. I don't think Roman is perfect by any means, but it's no coincidence that the offense looks better when the players are executing better. The OL is starting to play decently and Lamar is starting to feel comfortable again. That's leading to play action working more, which is opening up Roman's playbook. That stuff wasn't working earlier. Roman definitely has some head scratchers from this season, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agreed 100% here. I don't think Roman is perfect by any means, but it's no coincidence that the offense looks better when the players are executing better. The OL is starting to play decently and Lamar is starting to feel comfortable again. That's leading to play action working more, which is opening up Roman's playbook. That stuff wasn't working earlier. Roman definitely has some head scratchers from this season, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.
What a revolutionary concept. Play callers look good when the players execute the plays at a high level, and they look bad when the players don't.

The most surprising thing about that concept is that it took this organization like a half dozen OC's in a decade to figure that out...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I think you’re not giving kubiak enough credit and also not considering the TE usage, Lamar and andrews would connect for 1000 yards and double digit TDs regularly

JAAM

Hall of Famer
For all the flack he’s gotten this year, Hollywood has a decent chance at hitting 1,000 yards, especially since the Giants are quite good against the run but horrible against the pass