• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I'm on the fence on this one...

A premier edge rusher is #1 for me, so I'd probably take prime Suggs.

Is the Oline really a "problem" even without Stanley and with uncertainty at RT? Like I don't see an upgraded Oline as being the difference between SB or bust for this team. Lack of pass rush is certainly something that can stop us.

Somebody mentioned Boldin. I may go that route, or still take like prime Ray Lewis. Wasn't a world-beater in pass coverage, but the hustle and speed was legendary.

I think Ed Reed has a lot less value in today's game. Maybe against a Mahomes sure, but like a lot of teams just really don't take deep shots like they used to, and Reed routinely played like 10-15-20 yards off the ball. Teams would just attack underneath and he'd just be like a late line of defense that nobody threw at.
ill take ed reed over the best pass rusher that ever existed.. why? because no matter who you put out on that field, someone like reed, will be impactful. You can put the best wrs and qbs out on field and he will still do him.. same cant be said for pass rushers, they get taken out the game and schemed around often. Cant take someone like ed reed out the game. Brady and BB couldnt do it, peyton couldnt do it

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ed reed has less value? Huh lol.. have you seen how well eddie jackson played 2 seasons ago? Or how great devin mccoruty has been in cvg for pats all these years.. they tried to not throw at ed reed literally, it didnt work
OK, but like McCourty isn't a big turnover maker either. Like... he forced 6 turnovers total in like 4 years. Marlon Humphrey is doing that in a season.

I have no doubt about coverage skills from a lot of safeties. My point is the days of safeties standing 15-20 yards off the ball and attacking and picking off passes is largely over. Teams will eat you alive if you play that kind of scheme.

You know why McCourty and Jackson are so good? Because they'll come down in the box and cover a TE with no help. Or even slot receivers. Why? Because defenses force you to do so.

Ed Reed can play in any era. But if you're expecting him to trot out in 2020, like he did in his prime, and get like 7,8,9 picks and force 2-3 fumbles, it ain't happening. Offenses will force him to come down and cover people in man coverage. And if he refuses, they'll throw it in front of him all day long.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
OK, but like McCourty isn't a big turnover maker either. Like... he forced 6 turnovers total in like 4 years. Marlon Humphrey is doing that in a season.

I have no doubt about coverage skills from a lot of safeties. My point is the days of safeties standing 15-20 yards off the ball and attacking and picking off passes is largely over. Teams will eat you alive if you play that kind of scheme.

You know why McCourty and Jackson are so good? Because they'll come down in the box and cover a TE with no help. Or even slot receivers. Why? Because defenses force you to do so.

Ed Reed can play in any era. But if you're expecting him to trot out in 2020, like he did in his prime, and get like 7,8,9 picks and force 2-3 fumbles, it ain't happening. Offenses will force him to come down and cover people in man coverage. And if he refuses, they'll throw it in front of him all day long.
But we just had a lesser version of ed reed in eric weddle and if he wasnt so slow, he prolly wouldve had 7 ints..do you remember ed reed play? it wasnt just sitting back 10-15 yards at all. The stuff he did should only be possible on video games

A1A

Veteran
I know we all love to talk about hypothetical trade situations but realistically with all the WR hitting FA which ones do you think would be considered "Ravens"?

Obviously a big catch radius guy would help Lamar. I just don't see one that fits the bill here and by bill I mean worth the $$$. Godwin is a true #1 and def getting tagged. Then there's Samuel, who is just a flat-out playmaker. Hard pass on AJ Green and Marvin Jones. Are they sure handed yes, but we need guys that will catch the ball and make guys miss. I like Gallup for Lamar, he plays with swag and backs it up. 1st round tho? Is he better than Brown? Speaking of Brown, these playoffs are huge for him. If he doesn't show out or at least put up a strong effort then smh...I really want him to succeed.

Btw I stand by all my criticism of Harbs until he proves me wrong. Same like when yall bash my guy Judon but love him now. I've been die hard Ravens for over 20 years. Don't play me. I want us to win just as much as everyone here, but we left Super Bowl(s) on the table and its gonna take 1 more for me to get over that.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know we all love to talk about hypothetical trade situations but realistically with all the WR hitting FA which ones do you think would be considered "Ravens"?

Obviously a big catch radius guy would help Lamar. I just don't see one that fits the bill here and by bill I mean worth the $$$. Godwin is a true #1 and def getting tagged. Then there's Samuel, who is just a flat-out playmaker. Hard pass on AJ Green and Marvin Jones. Are they sure handed yes, but we need guys that will catch the ball and make guys miss. I like Gallup for Lamar, he plays with swag and backs it up. 1st round tho? Is he better than Brown? Speaking of Brown, these playoffs are huge for him. If he doesn't show out or at least put up a strong effort then smh...I really want him to succeed.

Btw I stand by all my criticism of Harbs until he proves me wrong. Same like when yall bash my guy Judon but love him now. I've been die hard Ravens for over 20 years. Don't play me. I want us to win just as much as everyone here, but we left Super Bowl(s) on the table and its gonna take 1 more for me to get over that.
We need a WR who catches the football even if he's not wide open. A guy we can trust to make tough and contested catches. Because there's one thing I've learned when it comes to us and teaching wrs to catch or adjusting their technique - it doesn't work.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

I would love aj green.. i wanted us to pick him up last season if we could have. Gallup is gonna wanna get bad.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

In the price range that we'll be shopping in AND factoring in who will actually hit the market, its unlikely we sign anybody of significance. A guy like Corey Davis is probably about as much as we'd be willing to pay. AJ Green would be a possibility on a short, cheap deal, or somebody like an Emmanuel Sanders.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I would love aj green.. i wanted us to pick him up last season if we could have. Gallup is gonna wanna get bad.
I’m not sure aj green has much of anything left in the tank, he’s looked like a complete shell of himself at very many points this year, I’ve watched a lot of games where the bengals would have not only won but fucking rolled their opponents if aj green was himself from 3 years ago, balls that he would routinely catch are just out of reach for him now and that’s an ugly sign when you have the likes of joe burrow throwing to you and placing/timing the ball reasonably well

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I’m not sure aj green has much of anything left in the tank, he’s looked like a complete shell of himself at very many points this year, I’ve watched a lot of games where the bengals would have not only won but fucking rolled their opponents if aj green was himself from 3 years ago, balls that he would routinely catch are just out of reach for him now and that’s an ugly sign when you have the likes of joe burrow throwing to you and placing/timing the ball reasonably well
Aw dam dont tell me that.. i havent watched much bengals games but when it looked hard for me. I thought maybe it was just that game but i guess not

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
it may be that a change in scenery helps but he's not looked completely out of sorts and disinterested for a while now

best case: he's been done with the bengals
worst case: he's done
Just read the Earl Thomas story. I'm not sure if I want us to sign such characters again...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just read the Earl Thomas story. I'm not sure if I want us to sign such characters again...

i think what it does mean is that EDC's gonna do hardcore due diligence on any potential marquee free agent signing - we missed on earl because we got blindsided by losing CJ to the jets and rushed into finding someone to pay without having an intimate knowledge of that player personally

it should have been telling that he was still available when we made the offer but it's hard to know that in the moment

i think it's probably also one of the few situations where we had no organisational knowledge of the player we were signing - no one on staff or any of the players had worked with him before

but yeah - i dont foresee us getting involved in free agency early in the future much at all with the way we've been drafting and developing recently which is the biggest way to not have issues like this - but if we do get back involved again i think that will be one of the lessons learned

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i think what it does mean is that EDC's gonna do hardcore due diligence on any potential marquee free agent signing - we missed on earl because we got blindsided by losing CJ to the jets and rushed into finding someone to pay without having an intimate knowledge of that player personally

it should have been telling that he was still available when we made the offer but it's hard to know that in the moment

i think it's probably also one of the few situations where we had no organisational knowledge of the player we were signing - no one on staff or any of the players had worked with him before

but yeah - i dont foresee us getting involved in free agency early in the future much at all with the way we've been drafting and developing recently which is the biggest way to not have issues like this - but if we do get back involved again i think that will be one of the lessons learned

Do you mind giving like a 1 sentence summary. I can't access the article. If that's a bother, please just ignore me. ^_^

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’ll pass on Green. The way he slumps his shoulders and looks like a deer in headlights when he’s losing isn’t the Ravens way. Give me someone younger and hungry any day of the week. Hell, I’d even take Sanders

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Rumors swirling Watson may request a trade out of Houston. If he gets traded, I hope he goes to the NFC.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Rumors swirling Watson may request a trade out of Houston. If he gets traded, I hope he goes to the NFC.
I highly doubt it. Plus him requesting a trade is like step 1 in a 10 step process that actually leads to him being traded.

Contract will almost certainly prevent it from happening. Especially noting he has a no-trade clause. Meaning he'd have to waive it AND he'd get to choose where he goes.