• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I highly doubt it. Plus him requesting a trade is like step 1 in a 10 step process that actually leads to him being traded.

Contract will almost certainly prevent it from happening.

if he really wanted to he could potentially force his way out in another year's time based on the structure of that contract but the compensation would have be right and the texans would have to be willing to deal which is exceedingly unlikely

but especially with the cap set to reduce and the texans already precarious position with regards to the cap it's almost completely unfeasible that it could happen in 2021

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
if he really wanted to he could potentially force his way out in another year's time based on the structure of that contract but the compensation would have be right and the texans would have to be willing to deal which is exceedingly unlikely

but especially with the cap set to reduce and the texans already precarious position with regards to the cap it's almost completely unfeasible that it could happen in 2021
The contract is structured in a way that it MIGHT be feasible. They gave him small signing/roster bonuses compared to most gigantic contracts like this, so his money is almost all in base salaries. So while his base salaries for the next two years are guaranteed, its easier to trade salaries than to trade people with prorated bonuses.

Still, they'd add like $5-6M to their cap by trading him before June, and they're in a rough cap situation to begin with.

Plus, I think the trade compensation wouldn't be what they want. Everybody assumes you could get a monsoon of top draft picks for him (which you'd get a good haul), but any time acquiring him would also acquire the contract, which is gigantic. So you're talking like a ton of draft picks + $35M a year in compensation. We haven't ever really seen a trade like that, and I don't expect to see it here.

Ultimately, this is mostly a PR/leverage play. He's unhappy with the organization and wants input into coaching decisions. His agent floats out the idea of a trade to make ownership think he maybe, possibly, is serious, and they'll seek to reconcile.

It's all just a game.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
The contract is structured in a way that it MIGHT be feasible. They gave him small signing/roster bonuses compared to most gigantic contracts like this, so his money is almost all in base salaries. So while his base salaries for the next two years are guaranteed, its easier to trade salaries than to trade people with prorated bonuses.

Still, they'd add like $5-6M to their cap by trading him before June, and they're in a rough cap situation to begin with.

Plus, I think the trade compensation wouldn't be what they want. Everybody assumes you could get a monsoon of top draft picks for him (which you'd get a good haul), but any time acquiring him would also acquire the contract, which is gigantic. So you're talking like a ton of draft picks + $35M a year in compensation. We haven't ever really seen a trade like that, and I don't expect to see it here.

Ultimately, this is mostly a PR/leverage play. He's unhappy with the organization and wants input into coaching decisions. His agent floats out the idea of a trade to make ownership think he maybe, possibly, is serious, and they'll seek to reconcile.

It's all just a game.

If he is on the table and I'm the Saints, Bears, or Washington I pick up the phone immediately and give them whatever they want for him. 2 1st rounds? TAKE IT ALL

rossihunter2

Staff Member

It's all just a game.

i agree it's completely unlikely but the low signing bonuses do make it feasible after the 2021 season - as i said it's not going to happen this offseason because it would ruin their cap even more than it already is and they dont have any draft capital to actually replace him

but after 2021 he'd only have 16m in dead money if traded if he still wants to force his way out (only feasible as a trade not as a cut)

it's never happened before probably because there's not been a situation like this where a franchise QB is so unhappy with his team, on a massive deal, but also could feasibly be moved because of the structure of that massive deal

it would be a ton of draft picks to move him though and im not sure what the final number of picks would have to be - but we're also talking about a franchise qb so it's not like there wouldnt be at least 1 team willing to trade an unprecedented haul for him

but yeah i dont think it happens - not least because there's going to be completely new leadership in that organisation this year

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If he is on the table and I'm the Saints, Bears, or Washington I pick up the phone immediately and give them whatever they want for him. 2 1st rounds? TAKE IT ALL
Well the Saints can not come anywhere close to being able to afford him, so that's a total non-starter.

I would imagine he would also veto wanting to be traded to either one of those teams... for obvious reasons.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Trade for Watson idgaf. Just piss everyone off.

I would literally crumble our team to prevent the fucking patriots or Steelers from getting Watson

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Bradley Bozeman was great mic’d up, he might be here for a good while, he seems like a bit of a character and a harbaugh guy

JO_75

Hall of Famer
9 years ago today.....

I remember being so excited and happy when the Broncos pulled this off over the Steelers.

Simba

Staff Member
9 years ago today.....

I remember being so excited and happy when the Broncos pulled this off over the Steelers.

As a completely random aside, when I went down to Atlanta for the Ravens game and SEC championship game in 2018, Tim Tebow was staying in the same hotel. Spotted him in the lobby talking to someone and as he was walking away, I at least wanted to say hi. This guy was so nice. Came over, shook my hand, and introduced himself as Tim (like I didn't know). Posed for a bunch of pictures with people after as well. Love him for the play above and that his persona isn't an act. Seems like a genuinely good guy.

Side note that Mark Ingram was also staying in the same hotel. Little did I know he'd become a Raven just a few months later.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Morgan Cox is our only 1st team all pro. Not that it isn't deserved, but I wonder how they choose the long snappers.