• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Orlando is gone at this point, I hope we can get good value for him.

Personally in a vacuum I would take him before Stanley just on durability. He might be a B+ left tackle but he's consistent and never gets hurt.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
idk - this is a lot of speculation based on a tweet - like i get it that he sees himself as a LT - but i doubt that means he's gonna refuse to play RT - just means he'll want to be paid like a LT surely

just can't see a way (unless Orlando forces his way out) that we let him go this year given that fixing the OL was number 1 priority this offseason according to harbs and EDC and this would be taking that unit in the opposite direction - only way that he leaves is if a team throws us multiple high picks surely

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Orlando is gone at this point, I hope we can get good value for him.

Personally in a vacuum I would take him before Stanley just on durability. He might be a B+ left tackle but he's consistent and never gets hurt.

eh? Stanley's had 1 major injury in his career - other than his rookie season he's not missed more than 1 game in any other year... he's also probably the best pass protecting OL in the league

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
surely would have to be more than just a 1st rounder...
if Tunsil brought back basically 2 1s and a 2 we've got to be looking for a bit more than just a single first round pick
Yup. I just say first for ease of conversation lol.

I’d prefer waiting a year and tag and trade for something like that, but if he threatens any kind of difficulty over the LT and possible extension thing, then trade him immediately. We’d be STUPID to walk away from him with a third round comp when we could get 2 1s and maybe a 2nd.

and in Orlando’s defense, he played much better at LT than RT, maybe it’s just a matter of natural movements for him and he moves more naturally and comfortably on the left side, some players are just like that, corners and edge rushers too tend to have this happen on occasion. Maybe he doesn’t wanna compromise his value moving back to the right after putting on his best display of football on the left side

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yup. I just say first for ease of conversation lol.

I’d prefer waiting a year and tag and trade for something like that, but if he threatens any kind of difficulty over the LT and possible extension thing, then trade him immediately. We’d be STUPID to walk away from him with a third round comp when we could get 2 1s and maybe a 2nd.

and in Orlando’s defense, he played much better at LT than RT, maybe it’s just a matter of natural movements for him and he moves more naturally and comfortably on the left side, some players are just like that, corners and edge rushers too tend to have this happen on occasion. Maybe he doesn’t wanna compromise his value moving back to the right after putting on his best display of football on the left side

if orlando's gonna force the issue then let's trade him this year and make the most of a stacked tackle draft class this year rather than waiting

but i will say this - yes it's a kind of bait-y tweet but it's literally just a tweet and probably has no actual bearing on his relationship with the team

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
if orlando's gonna force the issue then let's trade him this year and make the most of a stacked tackle draft class this year rather than waiting

but i will say this - yes it's a kind of bait-y tweet but it's literally just a tweet and probably has no actual bearing on his relationship with the team
Winner react for the first half

second half I’m not so sure, that’s a clear message. Although *** said browns days in Baltimore are likely numbered so we can put this all to rest because he’ll be a extended tomorrow

edit: just now seeing that you pointed this out a few posts above lol

Last edited:
eh? Stanley's had 1 major injury in his career - other than his rookie season he's not missed more than 1 game in any other year... he's also probably the best pass protecting OL in the league

Stanley was the best pass blocking OL but then he broke, dislocated and tore multiple ligaments in his ankle so theres no guarantee he'll return to be the same player. He also hasn't played a full season because of ankle injuries and concussions.

Anyway the point is Orlando is more durable and has already become one of the best LTs in the league. We should get good trade value for him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Winner react for the first half

second half I’m not so sure, that’s a clear message. Although *** said browns days in Baltimore are likely numbered so we can put this all to rest because he’ll be a extended tomorrow

edit: just now seeing that you pointed this out a few posts above lol

it's a clear message but idk that the message is specifically to baltimore (saying im not gonna play RT for you in 2021) or whether it's a message for the rest of the league (im gonna be playing LT in 2022 so pay me like one)

i think it's more indicative of the money he wants to be paid than about any supposed animosity with the ravens

obviously i could be wrong but it's only a tweet with no obvious other tension between him and the ravens before this

Stanley was the best pass blocking OL but then he broke, dislocated and tore multiple ligaments in his ankle so theres no guarantee he'll return to be the same player. He also hasn't played a full season because of ankle injuries and concussions.

Anyway the point is Orlando is more durable and has already become one of the best LTs in the league. We should get good trade value for him.
I blame that on TJ Watt. The play was basically over and that prick dove for no reason right into Stanley ankle.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
it's a clear message but idk that the message is specifically to baltimore (saying im not gonna play RT for you in 2021) or whether it's a message for the rest of the league (im gonna be playing LT in 2022 so pay me like one)

i think it's more indicative of the money he wants to be paid than about any supposed animosity with the ravens

obviously i could be wrong but it's only a tweet with no obvious other tension between him and the ravens before this
I don’t think it has anything to do with animosity or tension, but maybe contract talks began and they were lightyears apart and brown probably figured he had to go elsewhere because of Stanley.

I think the ravens envisioned this a few weeks into his stint at LT, he showcased himself and the ravens probably braced themselves for the possibility

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Do elite players ever lose a step after major injuries? I just feel like they really don’t. It’s one of those weird things in football to me that defies logic, like how when a player gets hurt typically their backup does super well (for every team besides our centers)

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Do elite players ever lose a step after major injuries? I just feel like they really don’t. It’s one of those weird things in football to me that defies logic, like how when a player gets hurt typically their backup does super well (for every team besides our centers)

on that 2nd thing i think it's a mental thing - we have lower expectations for backups so we give them much more leeway for mistakes which makes them seem better than they are - with a starter you want high-level play, with a backup you want functional play where they just survive so in lots of cases it's just about how we grade starters and backups on a different scale - or at least that's what i think it is

in terms of injuries it often takes a bit of time but it's certainly true that lots of guys do come back from injuries and get to the same level as they were pre-injury - but it's not always immediate as they have to subconsciously trust their body which sometimes takes some time to get to that level especially when it's a long-term injury that required surgery in a knee or ankle

LSURavenFan

Veteran
I hope Orlando stays. That being said, I think you could get a nice package for him. He proved he can play LT and his cap hit is EXTREMELY affordable for next season, which is big considering the cap situation for many clubs.

If you could send him to a team needing OL help, LAC, off the top of my head. You have a real chance to get an impactful weapon to help the passing game. With it being such a nice draft for the OL, you can address Brown's departure as soon as pick 27 if you want.

It would be tough to deal Orlando, but if you could get a really nice weapon as well as really promising OL later in the 1st, it could be worthwhile.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Does Webb count?