• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Actually Joe worked out with receivers in 2018 during off season.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/new...act-hold-off-site-workouts-with-his-receivers

Tom Brady was quoted as saying something similar in 2018 when asked about off season workouts with receivers. Wonder how many “jumped off” his bandwagon? Lol.

https://985thesportshub.com/2018/08/22/tom-brady-reluctant-answer-questions-work-new-receivers/

I just don’t get why ravens fans have to trash Joe just to make a point about Lamar. I appreciate Lamar’s work ethic and enthusiasm, but we’ll see if he is still playing catch with receivers during off season in years 8-10. I also appreciate what Joe did for this franchise. No one was bitching about him until after the 2014 season. He never missed a start until 2015, when he went down with knee. The injuries piled up from there. The talent he had around him during his last 5 years here was pathetic. To say we wasted 5 years with him is totally not fair.

Im not a Joe hater Im saying what I saw, his accuracy was trash and he had no urgency to improve the timing with his receivers because why would he? he won a SB and makes 25 million a year.

If Lamar makes 125 million by coasting for 5 years then hes gonna get called out for it too.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

I just don’t get why ravens fans have to trash Joe just to make a point about Lamar. I appreciate Lamar’s work ethic and enthusiasm, but we’ll see if he is still playing catch with receivers during off season in years 8-10. .

Joe never did that, except when it was too late and he saw the writing on the wall. If he did it earlier, maybe he wouldn't turn into inaccurate check-down QB with 4 yards per pass average play.

Second extension was very problematic, in that sense we definitely wasted the subsequent years.

Im not a Joe hater Im saying what I saw, his accuracy was trash and he had no urgency to improve the timing with his receivers because why would he? he won a SB and makes 25 million a year.

If Lamar makes 125 million by coasting for 5 years then hes gonna get called out for it too.

I’m not sure why you think Joe coasted for 5 years? Because he didn’t work out with his receivers in the off season? I tend to think that injuries (his), lack of a competent coordinator (minus Kubiak in 2014), and lack of weapons or talent had allot more do with the drop off in his performance then him coasting. JMO

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Joe never did that, except when it was too late and he saw the writing on the wall. If he did it earlier, maybe he wouldn't turn into inaccurate check-down QB with 4 yards per pass average play.

Second extension was very problematic, in that sense we definitely wasted the subsequent years.

So should Tom Brady be gone for not playing catch or for skipping every voluntary workout? He used to say those workouts were very important and crucial to winning championships but then he started skipping them to spend time with his family and there was no dropoff at all because playing catch in shorts for a veteran without really practicing anything new has no purpose.

Its 2 false equivalencies that happened regarding Flacco. With a good line he can make bad players look good, with a bad line he looks like a bottom-tier QB. That has always been the case with him and the injuries just made that weakness more profound. He has zero mobility both in terms of running and pocket mobility which means like many of the current pocket passers he sinks or swims with the OLine and right now and for the past few years its been sinking.

The playoff runs in 2012 and 2011 and 2014 were less about Joe doing something amazing and more about him getting eons of time to do his reads and find the receivers and hit the throws. When he can do that he can play but for some reason the FO had awful priorities about what kinds of players to surround Joe with.

That time is now over though and I see no reason to keep harping on when it looks like there is a new QB with a different (note not better or worse just different) leadership style. I dont need to tear into Joe to make Lamar look better because that is a massive insult to Lamar to insinuate that he needs to be graded on a curve.

purp

Practice Squad
Tom Brady probably would’ve sat Hollywood Brown in week 1 because he’s a lesser version of Chris Moore as well. Very compelling take.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
So should Tom Brady be gone for not playing catch or for skipping every voluntary workout? He used to say those workouts were very important and crucial to winning championships but then he started skipping them to spend time with his family and there was no dropoff at all because playing catch in shorts for a veteran without really practicing anything new has no purpose.

Its 2 false equivalencies that happened regarding Flacco. With a good line he can make bad players look good, with a bad line he looks like a bottom-tier QB. That has always been the case with him and the injuries just made that weakness more profound. He has zero mobility both in terms of running and pocket mobility which means like many of the current pocket passers he sinks or swims with the OLine and right now and for the past few years its been sinking.

The playoff runs in 2012 and 2011 and 2014 were less about Joe doing something amazing and more about him getting eons of time to do his reads and find the receivers and hit the throws. When he can do that he can play but for some reason the FO had awful priorities about what kinds of players to surround Joe with.

That time is now over though and I see no reason to keep harping on when it looks like there is a new QB with a different (note not better or worse just different) leadership style. I dont need to tear into Joe to make Lamar look better because that is a massive insult to Lamar to insinuate that he needs to be graded on a curve.
Did you just put Brady and Joe on the same level?

purp

Practice Squad

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/new...act-hold-off-site-workouts-with-his-receivers

Tom Brady was quoted as saying something similar in 2018 when asked about off season workouts with receivers. Wonder how many “jumped off” his bandwagon? Lol.

https://985thesportshub.com/2018/08/22/tom-brady-reluctant-answer-questions-work-new-receivers/

I just don’t get why ravens fans have to trash Joe just to make a point about Lamar. I appreciate Lamar’s work ethic and enthusiasm, but we’ll see if he is still playing catch with receivers during off season in years 8-10. I also appreciate what Joe did for this franchise. No one was bitching about him until after the 2014 season. He never missed a start until 2015, when he went down with knee. The injuries piled up from there. The talent he had around him during his last 5 years here was pathetic. To say we wasted 5 years with him is totally not fair.

The reason why this continues to come up is because of this exact argument. Joe Flacco did not improve as a QB after the Super Bowl. He peaked at 28. That doesn’t make sense. Unless you’re willing to accept that perhaps he didn’t feel like he needed to improve. How can we know that? Because he refuses to anything differently or above and beyond to hone his craft until...oh wait yea the franchise drafted a QB in the first round. The fact that some want to give him credit for one 2 hour session when he was on the hot seat is weak at best.

Then you juxtapose that against a second year player that has done more to actively work on his quarterbacking ability on his own then Flacco has done in his entire career. Also not surprisingly...one of the people he worked with in the offseason was a QB guy that worked with Tom Brady earlier in his career.

The point is not that he didn’t work out with receivers. The point is that he was unwilling to do anything other than what he was being explicitly paid to do. That is certainly his right, but the idea that he shouldn’t be criticized for it is ridiculous. Especially given that his replacement does exactly the thing he was being criticized for without having to be badgered by the media for a decade.

Reactions: cdp

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
At Joe’s very best he was still an avg to below avg qb.. almost never seen him make any pre snap adjusments, would see 12 men lined up to the right and he still hand the ball off there, almost never audibled, inconsistency his whole career, would throw ints dead to lbs while staring them in the eyes..

It dont matter if he had 4 all pro wrs, i promise nothing about his game would change. Only thing that could save him is BB and josh mcdaniels only cause their wrs are usually wide ass open

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Did you just put Brady and Joe on the same level?

Either something is useful or it isn't. I'm going to trust when an all-time great says its not useful that its not useful.

I guess maybe if you aren't throwing at all it could be useful to avoid a slow start to the season, but its not like the Ravens ever start slow. They win a lot in September, its October where they fall down, only to turn it on late.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i love joe and always will love joe and the things he did for this franchise but it is a breath of fresh air with lamar coming in

- there were elements of qb play that Joe was never good at and never improved and it put a very clear ceiling on his output and his play based on how the opposing team defended him - especially post 2012 it's most clear in the types of teams we beat - joe was great at beating up on bad teams but absolutely out-matched when we played non-pittsburgh-based playoff teams

- Lamar already does pocket-qb things better than joe did - watching lamar in the pocket with his poise, feel and footwork is a delight vs joe's statuesque pocket movement

- Lamar already plays with better touch in terms of leading his receivers and not overthrowing the deep ball

there's already so many things lamar does that do not make me miss joe at all

Your certainly welcome to your opinions and I to mine. See my post above, #7964. That’s my opinion on the drop off in his performance after the SB. My original point here is why do people continue to trash Joe just to make a point about Lamar. As I said I love Lamar’s work ethic and enthusiasm, but he and Joe are different entities. I wasn’t happy either about joes off season work ethic, but I also know he was a good QB who accomplished some great things for this organization.

EDIT: This post was supposed to be a reply to purp’s post #7968. My bad Adreme

Last edited:

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Your certainly welcome to your opinions and I to mine. See my post above, #7964. That’s my opinion on the drop off in his performance after the SB. My original point here is why do people continue to trash Joe just to make a point about Lamar. As I said I love Lamar’s work ethic and enthusiasm, but he and Joe are different entities. I wasn’t happy either about joes off season work ethic, but I also know he was a good QB who accomplished some great things for this organization.
Most here also thought joe was a good qb trust me. They usually dont trash a player until he finally leaves our team. Only then for some reason they finally point out all the negatives in the player

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Most here also thought joe was a good qb trust me. They usually dont trash a player until he finally leaves our team. Only then for some reason they finally point out all the negatives in the player

Man if anybody got trashed it was Joe. Hell people wanted to start Mallett.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

yes, that was the only time that I'm aware of

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Man if anybody got trashed it was Joe. Hell people wanted to start Mallett.
Yea at the end. Joe been showing signs of who he really was way before that. Happens with every single one of players. Theyre hyped up on these boards but soon as they leave, its straight negative stuff about them.. only a few keep that same energy about a player throughout.

Im grateful for the title he almost single handedly won for us but dont pretend like he didnt wear out his welcome, he never improved or showed urgency with the endless checkdowns and field goals and it was time to move on. If you think thats harsh just remember that he made 9 figures so hes happy, he won the lottery.

Regardless of what happens with Lamar hes breathed life into our team and its been a relief.

Tank

Hall of Famer
lol....same old stale shit regurgitated over and over. Maybe you guys should just move on and forget about trying to rationalize the lack of offensive direction and talent the Ravens had for many years, those times are thankfully gone. Fortunately they've reversed course and have surrounded Lamar with a bunch of weapons that will make it difficult for opposing defenses to hone in on any one scheme. I will say though the O line is still a huge concern for me.

LET'S GO RAVENS!

Im grateful for the title he almost single handedly won for us but dont pretend like he didnt wear out his welcome, he never improved or showed urgency with the endless checkdowns and field goals and it was time to move on. If you think thats harsh just remember that he made 9 figures so hes happy, he won the lottery.

Regardless of what happens with Lamar hes breathed life into our team and its been a relief.

Everyone has shared their opinion on what happened during the post SB years. Over and over and over again. Not all people see it the same way and that’s fine. My point is why keep bringing it up when talking about Lamar? Joe was yesterday’s news, today’s news is all about Lamar and the great talent he has around him and the quality coaching. And the Arizona Cardinals. Go Ravens!

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Everyone has shared their opinion on what happened during the post SB years. Over and over and over again. Not all people see it the same way and that’s fine. My point is why keep bringing it up when talking about Lamar? Joe was yesterday’s news, today’s news is all about Lamar and the great talent he has around him and the quality coaching. And the Arizona Cardinals. Go Ravens!

Joe is like yesterdays mashed potatos. Right now I believe a lot are underestimating the importance of Roman and his offensive philosophies when it comes to Lamar. Its like a well smoked brisket with the perfect blend of seasonings and an awesome sauce.