• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Just saying Kingsbury did a lot better his first season in AZ than you'd think.
I agree, his offense started to evolve and I also expect Kyler Murray to improve in year two. Should be fun to watch. Doubt he makes the Lamar Leap though.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just saying Kingsbury did a lot better his first season in AZ than you'd think.
I both agree and disagree. I think he showed great improvement with a largely raw QB, and his team was generally competitive despite what I view as one of the weaker rosters in terms of talent in the NFL.

That being said... if you listen to "some people", Kyle Kingsbury was literally supposed to revolutionize the NFL. He was going to go 4-5 wide on every play, and just throw it 60 times a game. They didn't do that, and if they did, they would have lost every single game they played, because they don't have the personnel to do that.

The Cardinals have a solid QB who could even be great, and an excellent coach in my eyes. They just need about a dozen better players at various positions, especially on defense and on the offensive line.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think what gets lost in this idea of trying to find the next Sean Mcvay, is that mcvay is far from a qb guru and isn’t some explosive offensive mastermind, his scheme is a power running scheme first and foremost, the big difference between Roman and mcvays offense other than designed qb runs, is that mcvay emphasizes WRs far more than the TEs, and the blocking schemes are more traditional.

mcvays offense sputtered this year for one reason, the decline of gurley, gurley being on the field every down, running, catching, and taking play fakes on every single snap, is what made it work. That’s why the likes of kingsbury May do alright, but aren’t setting the league on fire like mcvay did. It’s a huge philosophical difference, and Roman is actually a lot closer to mcvay than mcvay is to, say an Andy Reid or kliff kingsbury.
I would personally chalk a lot of it up to major decline of the offensive line. They lost at least 2 starters I believe, had a few other injuries this year, and didn't do much to address the position in FA. They drafted two OLineman, but were both 3rd round or later, and most of the guys they've drafted the last few years there haven't panned out well.

Frankly, the decline of Gurley shouldn't have been shocking to anybody.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I would personally chalk a lot of it up to major decline of the offensive line. They lost at least 2 starters I believe, had a few other injuries this year, and didn't do much to address the position in FA. They drafted two OLineman, but were both 3rd round or later, and most of the guys they've drafted the last few years there haven't panned out well.

Frankly, the decline of Gurley shouldn't have been shocking to anybody.
The decline of gurley was foresaw since Georgia, it was literally the only thing keeping him from having a zeke/saquon draft pedigree. The rams were dumb as fuck to pay him so much so premature.

and yeah, the OL is a factor, gurleys knee paired with an OL regression means you can’t run the ball, which is what mcvays offense just can’t go without.

frankly, I’m disappointed as hell in Darrell Henderson, I thought he was a slam dunk smh

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I both agree and disagree. I think he showed great improvement with a largely raw QB, and his team was generally competitive despite what I view as one of the weaker rosters in terms of talent in the NFL.

That being said... if you listen to "some people", Kyle Kingsbury was literally supposed to revolutionize the NFL. He was going to go 4-5 wide on every play, and just throw it 60 times a game. They didn't do that, and if they did, they would have lost every single game they played, because they don't have the personnel to do that.

The Cardinals have a solid QB who could even be great, and an excellent coach in my eyes. They just need about a dozen better players at various positions, especially on defense and on the offensive line.
Ok. But I've never looked directly at the personnel, it's his scheme he adapted to NFL-levels. He barley used TEs at TTU and I have never seen him using TEs in the backfield before. Their rushing offense improved a lot after these adjustments. Murray is my offensive rookie of the year. I was skeptic at first when he got into the league, but I expect him to further improve and the scheme will become even better after a full offseason. and I admit I'm a huge Kingsbury fan - I even wanted Harbaugh to hire him in the past.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The decline of gurley was foresaw since Georgia, it was literally the only thing keeping him from having a zeke/saquon draft pedigree. The rams were dumb as fuck to pay him so much so premature.

and yeah, the OL is a factor, gurleys knee paired with an OL regression means you can’t run the ball, which is what mcvays offense just can’t go without.

frankly, I’m disappointed as hell in Darrell Henderson, I thought he was a slam dunk smh
I thought for sure Henderson would have an impact last year, especially with Gurley's knee.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar, Peters, Humphrey, Stanley and Tucker 1st team. Peters and Yanda 2nd team all-pros

ENX4CS5XYAA-Xcd

ENX4KAuW4AEI_Sd

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Ok. But I've never looked directly at the personnel, it's his scheme he adapted to NFL-levels. He barley used TEs at TTU and I have never seen him using TEs in the backfield before. Their rushing offense improved a lot after these adjustments. Murray is my offensive rookie of the year. I was skeptic at first when he got into the league, but I expect him to further improve and the scheme will become even better after a full offseason. and I admit I'm a huge Kingsbury fan - I even wanted Harbaugh to hire him in the past.
I have to admit I had some serious doubts about Kingsbury as a head coach in the NFL. He had an absolutely terrible record against good teams in college and that certainly wouldn't help his transition. That being said, it seriously looks like he is adjusting and should improve more. I was happy to see his use of tight ends instead of going 5 wide on every play. That would have been serious Spurrier level failure, if he continued to do that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

marshal missed out on 1st team by 8 votes which is the smallest margin between 1st and 2nd in any of the polls - honestly i think if it was not LG and RG but just G and G, this year i think yanda makes it - he's been better than quenton nelson by far this year but on this all-pro team they play different positions

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Hawks fans are still so mad Lamar is beating their queen in everything. I love it.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar, Peters, Humphrey, Stanley and Tucker 1st team. Peters and Yanda 2nd team all-pros

ENX4CS5XYAA-Xcd

ENX4KAuW4AEI_Sd

What is up with the defensive back category and...….flex?? Makes no sense and both Peters and Mathieu make the 2nd but Richard Sherman is ahead of Humphrey? Sorry I love my Ravens but Peters should be 2nd team only and I guess according to the listings Marlon shouldn't even be on the team.

purp

Practice Squad

I feel you man. I always said Kyle Kingsbury was going to be trash in the league and if we’re being honest, it’s like he wasn’t even on the sidelines this year. His twin brother Kliff, though, that guy did a decent job as a rookie NFL HC.