• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I just have to disagree about the first one. I could see it if the score were tied or we were winning, or even if we were on their 40 or in. Why risk putting your young QB under unnecessary pressure in one of the biggest game of his career. Kick the damn ball and let our defense go to work. I mean We had stopped them on their first series. I agree that we had great success during the regular season on 4th down conversions but this is the playoffs and taking unnecessary risk under those conditions is just not smart IMO.
Nah. We should have just ran different plays but going for it was a good call. Both times.

Nah. We should have just ran different plays but going for it was a good call. Both times.
So you’re saying it was Romans fault? Well maybe you’re right. Had he made a call that worked we wouldn’t be talking about this. Lol. When it works all is well. When it don’t people gonna question it.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I blame the Texans for our loss to the Titans. They just had to rest their starters in Week 17 and let the Titans win easily.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I mean their respective peers obviously didnt/dont share your opinion
Popularity contest. It’s a lot easier to win accolades when you’re on a 14-2 team that went on a 12 game win streak, and when you have the most popular player in the league on your team.

we had joe Flacco, one of the worst offenses in the league, and went 8-8 that year, the accolades are harder to come by.

take a look back at what jimmy did in 2013, look at his opposition and what he did to them.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i just dont agree with you i guess
Trying not to use hindsight and just looking at the big picture, I think kicking would’ve been the right call situationally.

it’s the titans, they aren’t known to score much, or quickly, take advantage, take the points, apply pressure to them to keep adding to their lead and take risks, while simultaneously forcing them to drive The length of the field. Chiefs, packers, saints, hell even the Texans, go for it, but titans, nah.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Trying not to use hindsight and just looking at the big picture, I think kicking would’ve been the right call situationally.

it’s the titans, they aren’t known to score much, or quickly, take advantage, take the points, apply pressure to them to keep adding to their lead and take risks, while simultaneously forcing them to drive The length of the field. Chiefs, packers, saints, hell even the Texans, go for it, but titans, nah.

except the titans had been one of the most dangerous offences in the league up to that point since tannehill took over
the analytics take all those things into account too - the models adjust for situation in terms of success rate and change in win probability for each play - then harbs takes those numbers and makes a call based on his feel - and in both those situations i would say that going for it was the obvious decision both times - on the first one we called the 3rd down knowing we were going for it on 4th down with the playcall that we put in there and so to not go for it after that would have been a waste of the 3rd down playcall - the second one was a good decision to not take the 3 points because it didnt change what we'd have to do in any situation - we were down 8 - 3 points doesnt get you within a field goal so you still need a td at that point so why not go for it now while you're driving and 1 yard isnt that hard to get in the NFL

the hindsight tells us that those 2 plays led to 14 titans points and took 3 points off the table for us but everything tells us that if those situations happen in any other game we convert at least one of them (which takes 7 points off the titans and likely gives us the opportunity to go and get 7) and given how we'd been all year on 4th and 1 (or closer) we'd honestly expect to convert both

i honestly think it was a no brainer to go for it both times and still think it was the right call even with hindsight

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad

My two cents on this subject:

1. We should have kicked the field goal on the 3rd quarter 4th down. That was a championship football call. The Titans had been up 14-0 and would have seen their lead ground down to 14-9 with over 20 minutes of clock left in the game. The pressure would have started to mount on their offense. Going for it when you had the opportunity for a chip shot field goal at that juncture looked like a desperate bully that was shocked to find itself on the wrong side of the scoreboard in the second half. Calmer heads would have taken the points.

2. If you’re going to go for it you have to be more creative since your o-line was getting demolished all night. Throw the ball, use Edwards, get Lamar into space, do something other than the most predictable play which had already been stuffed previously. Line up in shotgun formation. Make the defense think and work, use their hesitation against them. Make it look like Lamar is going to run only to set up a short pass.

Last edited:

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
What a major lost opportunity. You never know when you will have home team advantage throughout the playoffs again and a bye week to rest. Sadly, Ingram and Andrews were less than 50 % and that really hurt.
I just cant believe how disappointed I am with what this team did on Saturday.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Why not? The decision to go for it had nothing to do with what was called, or the execution.
Decision was right because we had unprecedented success rate with it throughout the season and we desperately needed to try and get momentum on our side. Play call and execution were bad because we haven't had much success running through the middle vs Titans. Why not at least try the same play with Edwards?

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad
The entire interior line was stood straight up and pushed back. They committed completely to the middle and there was nowhere to go. Personally I would have loved a play-action call there if you’re going to be wildass and go for it anyway or fake the handoff and roll out into an option. Coaches called the game tight and panicked while Tennessee kept swinging for the fences being creative and taking shots.

Last edited:
Decision was right because we had unprecedented success rate with it throughout the season and we desperately needed to try and get momentum on our side. Play call and execution were bad because we haven't had much success running through the middle vs Titans. Why not at least try the same play with Edwards?

I disagree as to whether the decision was right or wrong. How many times did we go for it on 4th down when we were on our side of the 50 yard line during the regular season? There was no need to panic and try to gain momentum in that situation IMO. We were only down by 7 with 3 full quarters left to play. Why risk giving them a short field and at least 3 more points? Turns out they got 7 and we were down by 14. We have one of the best punters in football. Let him give them a long field to work with and give our defense a chance to stop them.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I just have to disagree about the first one. I could see it if the score were tied or we were winning, or even if we were on their 40 or in. Why risk putting your young QB under unnecessary pressure in one of the biggest game of his career. Kick the damn ball and let our defense go to work. I mean We had stopped them on their first series. I agree that we had great success during the regular season on 4th down conversions but this is the playoffs and taking unnecessary risk under those conditions is just not smart IMO.

I think you’re spot on. There was no reason to take the gamble in a game of that magnitude. If you fail as they did, twice, you just needlessly hand over the momentum to the other team. Maybe not a big deal regular season. Playoff game with no “next week”? Not worth it. We had already given them a gift with the pick on the first possession, failing there and handing them the ball again just compounded the error.

Last edited: