• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Question for all of you: Do you think we overestimate the might of our scouting department and prowess and landing great players? Or is the EDC-led group as good as it is touted to be? I am really curious what your thoughts are. Sometimes, we get lulled into a false sense of comfort as can an organization.
We will see this year!! I think being in this position is tougher than what we previously had to choose from

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Question for all of you: Do you think we overestimate the might of our scouting department and prowess and landing great players? Or is the EDC-led group as good as it is touted to be? I am really curious what your thoughts are. Sometimes, we get lulled into a false sense of comfort as can an organization.

it's tough to evaluate the scouting department and the organisation's evaluation prowess without seeing/knowing the board - we only know who they picked, who they didn't pick (when they were available) and sometimes we find out after the drafts some guys who got sniped from us or who we tried to trade for

but in totality that information adds up to maybe 20-30 or so players we have some sort of knowledge about where they stack on the board (and obviously you can assume some things just generally about the top top players that we normally wouldnt be in range to pick and you can assume their feelings of those players - but that's also not instructive)

so in a draft class of 250+ players, we rarely have much info to know just how good their evaluations are except for the guys we actually pick

i guess the best examples to examine are when we take players who seem to be outliers or unexpected, smaller school guys or just generally day 3 prospects that hit - those are probably the best indications especially given day 3 is considered (at least by the ravens) "scouts day"

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Happy for our boy Weddle. I was rocking his Ravens jersey yesterday, the last jersey I've purchased actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Why is Rashod chiming in? Lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The scouting prowess of an organization isn’t determined by the success of draft picks, so we have no way of knowing.

say the highest guy on the ravens board has a 20+ draft position lead on the next guy, and that guy is taken right before us, that guy becomes a star, we settle for someone graded way lower and he becomes a nobody. The scouting department had their guy right but all we see is a bust drafted.

ravens were in on dez Bryant and he was right there for us and the cowboys swooped in and took him, that’s one of the only examples that came to light, because the ravens stay tight lipped about these things, so we really can’t surmise anything based on the results we see as fans.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
The scouting prowess of an organization isn’t determined by the success of draft picks, so we have no way of knowing.

say the highest guy on the ravens board has a 20+ draft position lead on the next guy, and that guy is taken right before us, that guy becomes a star, we settle for someone graded way lower and he becomes a nobody. The scouting department had their guy right but all we see is a bust drafted.

ravens were in on dez Bryant and he was right there for us and the cowboys swooped in and took him, that’s one of the only examples that came to light, because the ravens stay tight lipped about these things, so we really can’t surmise anything based on the results we see as fans.
Not expecting scouts to be spot on everytime because theyre simply just normal people but there were some decent guys after
Dez other than kindle and cody.. golden tate was in that draft along with gronk who i remember seeing mocked to us

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor

Good. I remember the Dez Bryant situation like it was yesterday, because I was so pissed. However, my point really is all the great players that were taken after we drafted, not the ones that we didn't take because they were taken right before.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Why is Rashod chiming in? Lol

Eli maybe a douche but his team swept us and made the Superbowl while we sat at home. Not sure were in a position to talk much trash

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Good. I remember the Dez Bryant situation like it was yesterday, because I was so pissed. However, my point really is all the great players that were taken after we drafted, not the ones that we didn't take because they were taken right before.
Well every other team passed on whatever great players you’re referring to as well. It’s 32 teams and hundreds of prospects and it’s a crap shoot all the way through, and the ravens have a strong track record.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Not expecting scouts to be spot on everytime because theyre simply just normal people but there were some decent guys after
Dez other than kindle and cody.. golden tate was in that draft along with gronk who i remember seeing mocked to us
Golden tate wasn’t the most highly touted prospect, he was considered a borderline first rounder who a lot of people thought would be stuck in the slot in the days before the slot receiver became a starter. Gronk would’ve been a top 20 pick had he not had such an ugly bill of health, multiple back surgeries scared a lot of teams away, can’t be mad about that. Gronk was the guy I wanted that year too but at the time it was a huge risk

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Eli maybe a douche but his team swept us and made the Superbowl while we sat at home. Not sure were in a position to talk much trash

He is the definition of a front runner

Simba

Staff Member

Literally the whole league is talking trash to Apple right now. It's kind of amazing how much everyone hates him actually.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Eli is the reason I could not get behind the Bengals. Calling out an injured Lamar Jackson is trash